OT: Pro Bowl game likely to be shelved

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL moving to suspend Pro Bowl, sources say - ESPN

Many players who will be selected during this week's NFL draft are regarded as future Pro Bowl selections, but the game itself likely will be suspended this season and beyond, according to league sources.

The next Pro Bowl is scheduled the week before the Super Bowl in New Orleans on Feb. 3, but a game site has not been listed because of its precarious status, sources added.

Sources say that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has previously voiced his displeasure with the lack of competitiveness in recent Pro Bowl games, is strongly considering suspending this year's game, sources say.

Beyond 2013, another league source believes the Pro Bowl is "DOA (dead on arrival)."

If the game is suspended, the league still would have a Pro Bowl balloting process to identify the season's top players and would direct teams to negotiate Pro Bowl clauses into player contracts and to honor Pro Bowl incentive clauses to avoid any serious conflict with the players association. Those players also likely would be honored in some fashion during Super Bowl week.

Goodell recently has asked players for suggestions to make the game more attractive but has yet to embrace a solution, sources said.

Even those within the league who support continuance of the game have been unable to persuade Goodell that the game has merit alone on reasonably strong television ratings.

However, the diminishing quality of play has weighed more heavily on the commissioner, who believes it reflects poorly on the league and its players. Sources say Goodell does not hold any ill-will toward the players' lackluster effort because of player safety issues.

Goodell said in February that eliminating the game was under consideration. In an appearance on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Super Bowl Sunday, he said the league must address the quality of the game and even said he would consider eliminating it if it can't be improved upon.

The AFC routed the NFC 59-41 in last season's Pro Bowl, which drew boos at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu for its lack of early intensity.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers had said that some of his NFC teammates "embarrassed themselves" with the effort they gave in the game.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Can't say I'm disappointed.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bout time... Never watched a single game, plus it will cut down on all these Pro Bowl pretenders... "Whoot I'm a pro bowl player, yes the 42 guys they asked in front of me where injured, but I got to the game so that makes me pro bowl, baby"

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The NFL screwed the Pro-Bowl up..

thedude33

Liked Posts:
Yes, please end the Pro Bowl because it only makes me want to visit Hawaii and I really can't afford it right now.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Good, what an absolute waste of time.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Hooray! Maybe they'll stop using it as a way to show how 'l33t' players are? Popularity contest are Special person.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good news. The players don't try and I wouldn't expect them to.

BPED

Liked Posts:
Good and bad move by the NFL. The Pro Bowl consistently has high ratings, which makes money, but the game feels like a 7 on 7 match. :dunno:

Saluki

Liked Posts:
Good and bad move by the NFL. The Pro Bowl consistently has high ratings, which makes money, but the game feels like a 7 on 7 match. :dunno:

Only reason pro bowl has high ratings is because there's nothing else relevant to watch that week. They should get rid of it.....but bring back the skills competition...i'd watch the shit out of that