OT: Raiders sending scouts home until after the draft

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rapoport: Raiders sending scouts home until after the draft

The Oakland Raiders have sent all of their scouts home until after next week's draft because they "don't know who to trust" according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.

As if we needed more reasons to believe the Raiders are a dysfunctional organization. This report, if accurate, is just bizarre for a host of reasons. All teams are paranoid about their draft plans leaking out but this takes the paranoia to a whole new level. It also reveals that head coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock have no workable plan for securing information about their draft strategy. Teams have been wrestling with and solving these problems for decades-do you really think Bill Belichick or Sean Payton or Pete Carroll and their GMs have not successfully dealt with this issue over their long careers?

While clearing the entire draft room may seem like a full-proof plan, what it really does is make Gruden and Mayock look like a couple of buffoons who have no idea what they are doing. A case could be made that the scouts have done their jobs of gathering information and are no longer needed while the Raiders' "brain trust" sifts through it and makes the final decisions. But the optics make the Raiders entire organization once again look like a dumpster fire.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They have a mock draft guru gm in the mold of aesopian who the hell needs scouts

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Phil Emery stuff right here...

Scout - "Pats AND Packers like Shea McClellin in the 2nd"
Emery - "Hold my beer!"

"Ok scouts, we're taking Aaron Donald if he falls to us, No need to trade up, Rams just recently took 2 DL, Brockers and Quinn, in the 1st"

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Emery stuff right here...

Scout - "Pats AND Packers like Shea McClellin in the 2nd"
Emery - "Hold my beer!"

"Ok scouts, we're taking Aaron Donald if he falls to us, No need to trade up, Rams just recently took 2 DL, Brockers and Quinn, in the 1st"

To be fair, I think most of us thought this. Same with the Jets and Leonard Williams.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is not uncommon for most scouts to not be privy to draft information. This isn't that big of a deal.

This.

I think it's more common than not, but it's only a story because of all the craziness surrounding the Raiders these past few months.

Mayock not trusting the scouts isn't news either. It's been a thing in the NFL for a while. Gil Brandt reported that, back in the 80's when he was with the Cowboys, they'd tell scouts false information about who they were going to pick to see who ran to the media with it.

With 3 first round picks, I'd be cautious about any news leaking, especially if I was planning a big move.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only question is that if most teams do this, why is the Raiders decision to do this then publicized ?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only question is that if most teams do this, why is the Raiders decision to do this then publicized ?

I think it's because of what I said in my post... the craziness surrounding the Raiders lately. Signing Gruden to a monster deal after he hasn't coached in a decade. Then trading Mack and Cooper and watching them have a lot of success with their new teams. Then signing Mike Mayock, a guy with 0 front office experience. Then trading for Brown, who has been in the media a lot himself.

Anything they do now seems to be a story.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When I moved to Santa Rosa, Ca. years ago their training camp was there and i became a "temporary, secondarily, displaced person's fan" of the Silver and Black but that first move wiped them out as my second favorite long ago. I feel a little sorry for their fans.... BUT I greet anyone wearing the Silver and Black with Thank You for Khalil Mack everytime

Visionman

Liked Posts:
To be fair, I think most of us thought this. Same with the Jets and Leonard Williams.
Most of us thought that with Trubisky too. Luckily, Pace is a better GM...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know I would want my scouts to bounce an idea off, but Mayock thinks because he has run all these draft Mocks for all 32 teams he can manage a single team.

With all the draft capital they have that room could get crazy, maybe they wanted to eliminate some of the white noise...

All in all, I can not say that I would want to have this approach, but I can see why it might work, because after all, the final decision should be on the GM and Head coach (mainly the GM).

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bears should have learned to do this after about the third time the packers jumped in front of bears to draft a target.

It was clear from about 2005-2015 or so when Emery went covert that the bears had a leak.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you rather have guys that eliminate leakage or stand around bemoaning draft day luck while getting fleeced by low tier payroll vulnerable to quick paydays.

These guys are draft gurus and have heard it all. I’ll side with them.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Would you rather have guys that eliminate leakage or stand around bemoaning draft day luck while getting fleeced by low tier payroll vulnerable to quick paydays.

These guys are draft gurus and have heard it all. I’ll side with them.
Not sure I'd call Gruden and Mayock "draft gurus"...