OT: Raiders sending scouts home until after the draft

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure I'd call Gruden and Mayock "draft gurus"...
They have taken the nfl draft dead serious for decades while testing systems of evaluation and talking with insider parties to draft processes on all sides and done so with yeoman work ethic.

I’ll side with their expertise, experience, and passion over a decision about how many men they want in THEIR draft room.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Phil Emery stuff right here...

Scout - "Pats AND Packers like Shea McClellin in the 2nd"
Emery - "Hold my beer!"

"Ok scouts, we're taking Aaron Donald if he falls to us, No need to trade up, Rams just recently took 2 DL, Brockers and Quinn, in the 1st"

If the Bears drafted Donald then they wouldn’t have Mack/Fuller right now. I’ll take the latter.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have taken the nfl draft dead serious for decades while testing systems of evaluation and talking with insider parties to draft processes on all sides and done so with yeoman work ethic.

I’ll side with their expertise, experience, and passion over a decision about how many men they want in THEIR draft room.

bullshit

Ain't not two individuals alive that have more knowledge than their regional scouting staff.

Mike Mayock did not spend his life looking at film cutups of football prospects. He was a TV entertainer. Lets be real.

His only access as a "draft guru" was rumor and youtube and broadcast feeds like all the other amateurs. And if you think he looked at more than a few games worth of tape on each prospect, you are on crack. No possible way Mayock outworked entire year-round professional scouting departments.

And the idea that the only way you can maintain secrecy is to clear the building of all the actual experts you hired is absurd and incompetent. Fucking stupid to not at least have those guys next door in case you need to reference something.

Drafts are unpredictable and crazy shit can happen. Banishing your staff of experts is fucking arrogant and stupid.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
bullshit

Ain't not two individuals alive that have more knowledge than their regional scouting staff.

Mike Mayock did not spend his life looking at film cutups of football prospects. He was a TV entertainer. Lets be real.

His only access as a "draft guru" was rumor and youtube and broadcast feeds like all the other amateurs. And if you think he looked at more than a few games worth of tape on each prospect, you are on crack. No possible way Mayock outworked entire year-round professional scouting departments.

And the idea that the only way you can maintain secrecy is to clear the building of all the actual experts you hired is absurd and incompetent. Fucking stupid to not at least have those guys next door in case you need to reference something.

Drafts are unpredictable and crazy shit can happen. Banishing your staff of experts is fucking arrogant and stupid.

I would figure the scouts' jobs of obtaining and communicating information is over. If you have scouts in the draft room at this point still providing new information, arguing over who you should take, then you've done your job wrong as a GM.

Anyone can look at film cutups. You don't need scouts to look at film...your coaches can do that in 5 minutes. You need scouts to find out about all the off-the-field stuff...talk to his coaches, teammates, find out if he's smart enough, will he be able to handle working in a job, etc.

I think its obvious that the Raiders will make a play for Kyler Murray, but if it doesn't work out, they don't want a "leak" and Derek Carr finding out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would figure the scouts' jobs of obtaining and communicating information is over. If you have scouts in the draft room at this point still providing new information, arguing over who you should take, then you've done your job wrong as a GM.

Anyone can look at film cutups. You don't need scouts to look at film...your coaches can do that in 5 minutes. You need scouts to find out about all the off-the-field stuff...talk to his coaches, teammates, find out if he's smart enough, will he be able to handle working in a job, etc.

I think its obvious that the Raiders will make a play for Kyler Murray, but if it doesn't work out, they don't want a "leak" and Derek Carr finding out.
Ahhhh....

Smart.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I hope their draft ends up a dud just because you know this will be a huge point of contention if it does. And I enjoy watching the Raiders continue as a dumpster fire. But to be fair, if they do knock this draft out of the park, Bears might get screwed out of a better draft pick next year. Was hoping Raiders tank for another season, be like 2-14 this season, and Bears have the 33rd pick overall next draft.