OT: Whoa - Kubiak won’t be a part of Fangio’s staff in Denver

Toast88

Liked Posts:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25738153/gary-kubiak-vic-fangio-coaching-staff-denver-broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Gary Kubiak will not be a part of Vic Fangio's coaching staff with the Denver Broncos, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Kubiak's potential return to the staff -- something team president of football operations/general manager John Elway said was a possibility the day after the Broncos closed out their 6-10 season -- had been one of the most talked-about topics during the team's coaching search. Vance Joseph was fired Dec. 31 after two seasons as head coach.

Although Kubiak will not be on Fangio's staff because of differing ideas about the team's potential offensive philosophy and staffing, sources said, the possibility remained Friday that Kubiak could still be part of the Broncos' personnel department.

It was unclear, however, what would happen if another team pursued Kubiak with a coaching opportunity.

The Broncos were also talking to Mike Munchak about a spot on Fangio's coaching staff, sources said, and a deal could be finalized as soon as the weekend. Munchak, whose contract as offensive line coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers is set to expire, was one of the five candidates the Broncos interviewed for the head-coaching job and decision-makers had narrowed the choices to Munchak and Fangio.

Kubiak, the head coach for the Broncos' Super Bowl 50 victory, stepped away from coaching after the 2016 season due to health concerns. He has been in the personnel department for much of the last two years and was given an expanded role in personnel this past season.

Overall, Kubiak has spent almost a quarter century with the Broncos, including nine years as a player, 11 years on Mike Shanahan's coaching staff and his two years as the team's head coach.

Just before Fangio was formally introduced as the team's 17th head coach Thursday, he had an extended sit-down with Kubiak, and Elway said he planned to meet with Kubiak later that day.

When Fangio was asked about the possibility of Kubiak joining the coaching staff, he said: "None of the assistant coaching positions have been determined yet, and until things are ironed out and ironclad, I prefer not to comment on that. But Gary is a hell of a coach. He's a guy that I have respected throughout my career in the NFL, having competed against him at several stops. If Gary is interested, then I'm interested."

And Thursday afternoon, Elway had added: "I know Vic met with Gary [on Thursday]. I haven't had a chance to get a sense of that meeting. I have to talk to Vic. I think Gary would like to go on the offensive side, but none of that has been settled."

The Broncos, who have used four different starting quarterbacks in the last two seasons, finished 19th in offense this past season and 24th in scoring. The team finished 26th in scoring in 2017 and 22nd in scoring in 2016.

The 2019 season will mark the fourth different offensive coordinator the team has had in a four-season span.

"We definitely have to get better on the offensive side," Elway said the day after the season ended. "That starts with some continuity. It's going to be very important for us to get some continuity on the offensive side. This will be our fourth system in four years."

When asked what he wanted in an offense, Fangio said Thursday:

"We talked about an offensive philosophy and I believe in balance, but balance immediately comes to your mind [as] run and pass. There are other things that need to be balanced in offensive play. Do you throw it short, intermediate or deep? Do you run in inside, outside or have deceptives? Do you run gap schemes and zone schemes? Are you play-action, movement passing game?

"When I say balance, I'm not necessarily talking about how many runs and how many passes. You need to have balance within your passing game and in your running game. I know that from having to defend it. That's what we're looking to do."

ESPN's Adam Schefter contributed to this report

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Is this fangio taking a shot at naggy or does he long for the days of run run pass lol

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this fangio taking a shot at naggy or does he long for the days of run run pass lol

No and no.

"When I say balance, I'm not necessarily talking about how many runs and how many passes. You need to have balance within your passing game and in your running game. I know that from having to defend it. That's what we're looking to do."

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Denver has a solid defense, good luck to vic with that Offense

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
This is not surprising, might be a reason why Fangio never got a HC gig.

He’s probably better suited for coordinator

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Munchak is a brilliant hire by a Defensive coordinator who knows where the game is won.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
Vic will fail because they have no answer for QB and when they end up picking 2nd or 3rd overall in the 2020 draft he will have only 1 year with a rookie QB before going 4-12 and being fired for the next "young and upcoming offensive coordinator".

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
First big mistake for Fangio. He should've kept Kubiak and let him take the heat for 1 or 2 years if the offense flounders. And then he'll get another 1 - 2 years with a new OC. This is what Pace did with Fox. Pace went along with the org's choice of Fox as the HC which buys him time to rebuild the team and eventually get his own HC. If Pace had gotten who he wanted at HC right away while rebuilding the team and that team fails in the first couple of years, Pace would've been gone with the coach he hired.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
First big mistake for Fangio. He should've kept Kubiak and let him take the heat for 1 or 2 years if the offense flounders. And then he'll get another 1 - 2 years with a new OC. This is what Pace did with Fox. Pace went along with the org's choice of Fox as the HC which buys him time to rebuild the team and eventually get his own HC. If Pace had gotten who he wanted at HC right away while rebuilding the team and that team fails in the first couple of years, Pace would've been gone with the coach he hired.

Rumor is that John Elway had a problem with Gary bringing back an assistant coach that Elway didn't want back.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sounded more like a compliment. Especially since Nagy incorporated some zone blocking later in the year.

For me, the bigger question is whether Donatell will be his DC or part of his staff.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just saw that the Jags are now going after Kubiak.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very strange feeling in the air in Denver. Vic looked nervous and out of place as all hell in that presser. Then you let a guy like Kubiak go and are stuck with Keenum as your QB. Might as well hire John Fox as your OC. I can't see how this will workout for Vic.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
from what I read, Elway didn't want one of the assistants that Kubiak was planning on bringing on staff. Kubiak decided that they should find another OC if they don't want the guy that he wants

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't do it, Vic!

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Oh man, poor Vic. He finally gets his shot and this is what has become of it. Trestman...yikes...Vic deserves better.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Fangio's HC career will be lucky to surpass Dick Lebeau's.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Seeing as Denver is also candidate #1 to foolishly back up the truck for Nick Foles I fear things will only go from bad to worse. Cant wait for this year's game in Mile High.

swz01

Liked Posts:
Vic would've been a better fit for a team like the Packers. He really needs an established QB and offense in place to be a turnaround guy on the defensive side of the ball. They're rolling with Keenum or a rookie QB. That team is going to struggle a ton. I wonder if he'll get a second year. He may be really regretting it if the Bears win a Super Bowl in next 2 years.