Pace's QB Dilemma

BearUp

Liked Posts:
This new regime did the same thing the previous one did -- nail itself to the Cutler hitching post. Two seasons later it looks like the Bears are finally ready (financially and otherwise) to cut ties with the "coach killer". However with Pace failing to draft a QB-of-the-future for the Bears in the previous two drafts he has backed himself into a corner where he might be forced to draft one this season even if a real quality prospect is not available -- and "overpay" for him.

Should the Bears manage to squeak out another couple of wins we might need to trade up to draft a top QB -- mortgaging our future and applying immediate pressure on the new QB to come in and deliver right away. This could well be a formula that haunts the Bears for years to come; not only will we have 8 years of a Cutler curse but we could have 4+ of a Cutler hangover.

After the 2009 season I wrote on CBMB (RIP) about Cutler's arrogance and how arrogance is toxic and goes beyond causing a single player to fail and crosses into team failure. I am worried that Pace's suffers from the same arrogance, it will be interesting and perhaps devastating to see how it plays out at the GM (vs player) level.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The current regime is not at all "nailed to [Cutler's] hitching post". That's just not true.

Pace et al. did not sign Cutler to a contract and it has been well documented that they have been looking for his replacement since they got to Chicago. Yeah, it sucks the bears did not draft Prescott or anyone else, but that in no way reflects some kind of commitment to Cutler.

blang84

Liked Posts:
It was a colossal mistake to not use a pick in rounds 2 - 4 on a QB, especially knowing that Cutler was in the final year of a guaranteed deal. Would have been great to have a rookie get some reps this year to all give us hope for being competitive next year with an improving defense and Jordan Howard.

Instead we will have to deal with rookie QB growing pains next year, possibly delaying our ability to be a playoff team one more season.

And even if that QB taken this year was a bust, you still have to try. Dammit try every year till you get it right.

BearUp

Liked Posts:
Trade for Jimmy G but still draft a QB in a later rd.

Brady is getting old -- IF the Pats would be willing to take a trade for Jimmy it will cost a king's ransom. When a desperate team (Bears) is trading with a secure elite team (Pats) it rarely works out for the desperate... I was impressed with Jimmy G when he played this year though.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Brady is getting old -- IF the Pats would be willing to trade for Jimmy it will cost a king's ransom. When a desperate team (Bears) is trading with a secure elite team (Pats) it rarely works out for the desperate... I was impressed with Jimmy G when he played this year though.

Jimmy in last year of contract. Brady is getting old but not slowing down. Do they pay a "Kings ransom" to keep a backup QB who may not see the field for 4-5 more years?
It's worth throwing a 2nd pick at them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It was a colossal mistake to not use a pick in rounds 2 - 4 on a QB, especially knowing that Cutler was in the final year of a guaranteed deal. Would have been great to have a rookie get some reps this year to all give us hope for being competitive next year with an improving defense and Jordan Howard.

Instead we will have to deal with rookie QB growing pains next year, possibly delaying our ability to be a playoff team one more season.

And even if that QB taken this year was a bust, you still have to try. Dammit try every year till you get it right.

Drafting a guy who isn't an NFL QB just to say you "did something" is a terrible plan. Glad Pace is smarter than that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Brady is getting old -- IF the Pats would be willing to trade for Jimmy it will cost a king's ransom. When a desperate team (Bears) is trading with a secure elite team (Pats) it rarely works out for the desperate... I was impressed with Jimmy G when he played this year though.

I doubt the Pats will trade for Jimmy, seeing as they already have him. :)

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Bring back Hoyer as a place holder and draft a QB in the 2nd. Pick the top defender in the 1st.

blang84

Liked Posts:
It is a crapshoot. Guys who were projected high at this time last year like Connor Cook are no where to be seen. Meanwhile Prescott, not high on anyone's draft radar at this time last year, is rolling. Pace could have taken him several times over.

Not trying is an even more terrible plan. You have to take a chance on someone. When you consider how many guys at other positions who don't make it, it's worth using a 2nd - 4th round pick on a QB until you get it right.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bring back Hoyer to be our new QB's backup. Nothing more.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
3 4th round picks. Your scouts had no clue Prescott had even an ounce of talent to waste one of those picks on him. When you know full well that you had no QB in the possible making on your roster. I have very little faith that Pace is the answer. Just another guy getting a check until he is fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearUp

Liked Posts:
I'm glad someone finally brought this up.

I am sensing some sarcasm. :) I do not have time to read or follow every thread; it was on my mind so I made a post.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Didn't Shaw look good in the pre-season?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
This new regime did the same thing the previous one did -- nail itself to the Cutler hitching post. Two seasons later it looks like the Bears are finally ready (financially and otherwise) to cut ties with the "coach killer". However with Pace failing to draft a QB-of-the-future for the Bears in the previous two drafts he has backed himself into a corner where he might be forced to draft one this season even if a real quality prospect is not available -- and "overpay" for him.

Should the Bears manage to squeak out another couple of wins we might need to trade up to draft a top QB -- mortgaging our future and applying immediate pressure on the new QB to come in and deliver right away. This could well be a formula that haunts the Bears for years to come; not only will we have 8 years of a Cutler curse but we could have 4+ of a Cutler hangover.

After the 2009 season I wrote on CBMB (RIP) about Cutler's arrogance and how arrogance is toxic and goes beyond causing a single player to fail and crosses into team failure. I am worried that Pace's suffers from the same arrogance, it will be interesting and perhaps devastating to see how it plays out at the GM (vs player) level.

No, Pace and company didn't hand out a 126 million dollar extension

Pace has tried to get rid of cutler and make moves for QB's, he supposedly tried for mariota and again for wentz. Pace will try for that qb he believes is that franchise qb and until then its waiting time. If there is no qb he deems is the future in the 2017 draft, hoyer or some other game manager will likely be the qb. I cant see pace drafting a qb just to draft a qb, if that were the case he would have drafted one or two already...So far for the 2017 draft neither watson, kaaya or tribusky impress enough to be a top 3 pick.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
The current regime nailed themselves to Cutler in what way? By not eating his massive contract and by not being able to trade a mediocre QB that has a massive contract.

This is a bad OP. Bad!

BearUp

Liked Posts:
The current regime nailed themselves to Cutler in what way? By not eating his massive contract and by not being able to trade a mediocre QB that has a massive contract.

This is a bad OP. Bad!

By not BENCHING THE LOSER and by NOT DRAFTING THE FUTURE.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I said pretty much the same a couple of years when Fox and Pace came in and dismantled the offense and would not draft a young qb. I think is really is the fucking arrogance of Fox mostly that is to blame and Pace let him get away with it and it may cost him his own job also. This "rebuild" is a rebuild at all. Did they add some better players than they had? Yes but then again, they also weakened the team offensively and the team is not better than it was under Emery and Trestman. It just isn't. This should have been a 3 year rebuild with emphasis on improving the defense and finding a quarterback. NOw this is gonna take five years in total to have any chance of contending. A total waste of the last two years.