Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What? The Pelicans got 3 young, talented players and basically control the Lakers drafts for the next 7 years with swap options and their picks out right. That is only for 1 year of Davis. This was a hell of a trade for the Pels.

At the time of my post, I didn't know the details about swapping first round picks in the future. That obviously makes it much better, but if the Pelicans suck even more in those years, then it means nothing.

But the players that NO got aren't that great. Lonzo just isn't that good. Offensively, he's actually pretty awful at times. He's an okay defender, I guess, but nothing too special. Josh Hart could be a good rotational piece, but he's nothing you can't find in free agency. Of the 3, Brandon Ingram is obviously the most talented player, but that's saying much. In three years, he hasn't shown much growth. He's always been a streaky shooter, he's a terrible rebounder, mostly due to his small frame, and he can be very passive at times. Given that he's in a contract year, the Pelicans may be forced to give this dude a ton of money to re-sign him, and he may never actually play up to the contract he receives.

The 4th overall pick.... Idk. The players after #3 seem to all be hit-or-miss type guys. We won't know how that turns out for at least a couple of years.

While I'm not impressed with these guys, NO did get a good haul. I just think the Lakers got a steal because the guys they had clearly weren't good enough to help them win games. This is like LBJ getting Kevin Love in Cleveland, but much much better.

With their remaining cap space, the Lakers could easily replace the production of Lonzo, Hart, and Ingram in free agency. The Pelicans may not get anyone that replaces the production of AD.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
At the time of my post, I didn't know the details about swapping first round picks in the future. That obviously makes it much better, but if the Pelicans suck even more in those years, then it means nothing.

But the players that NO got aren't that great. Lonzo just isn't that good. Offensively, he's actually pretty awful at times. He's an okay defender, I guess, but nothing too special. Josh Hart could be a good rotational piece, but he's nothing you can't find in free agency. Of the 3, Brandon Ingram is obviously the most talented player, but that's saying much. In three years, he hasn't shown much growth. He's always been a streaky shooter, he's a terrible rebounder, mostly due to his small frame, and he can be very passive at times. Given that he's in a contract year, the Pelicans may be forced to give this dude a ton of money to re-sign him, and he may never actually play up to the contract he receives.

The 4th overall pick.... Idk. The players after #3 seem to all be hit-or-miss type guys. We won't know how that turns out for at least a couple of years.

While I'm not impressed with these guys, NO did get a good haul. I just think the Lakers got a steal because the guys they had clearly weren't good enough to help them win games. This is like LBJ getting Kevin Love in Cleveland, but much much better.

With their remaining cap space, the Lakers could easily replace the production of Lonzo, Hart, and Ingram in free agency. The Pelicans may not get anyone that replaces the production of AD.

there are only 3 picks. the 2021 pick is top 8 protected. If the pelicans do not choose that pick, it is unprotected in 2022.

They have options to swap picks with the lakers in 2023 and 2025. The 2024 first is unprotected.

I can pretty much see both teams being about even, so the swap picks might not be that far apart and kind of like the Mack trade with the bears, first rounders being 25-27 are not so valuable. All it assures is the lakers will not be tanking again for a while other than next year if Lebron or Lebrow go down with injury.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It could happen. Its reported that Suns are higher on White than Garland. Pels are locked at PG with Jrue and Lonzo, Cavs just took a PG last year in Sexton. That leaves Garland for us.

But Garpax won't figure that out, or will have to trade up because somebody else will?

Gonna pull a Ryan Pace here and pay extra for the player only they value the most.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
But Garpax won't figure that out, or will have to trade up because somebody else will?

Gonna pull a Ryan Pace here and pay extra for the player only they value the most.
If it were a Pace move he would have extended Dunn already so the other teams dont think he is taking a point guard.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

It reminded me of the old Madden trade engine...where you lump together 3 average players and their total value allows you to pry away a superstar from another team. I agree with dweebs in that both teams kind of got what they wanted, but I think the Lakers immediately became strong contenders while the Pelicans immediately became irrelevant again.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My gut reaction to the trade was that Lakers fleeced the Pelicans, but I guess we'll have to see how any of those picks/players pan out. Those draft picks may not be as awful as they appear on paper but there's a lot of variables there.

Undoubtedly, unless AD suffers a major injury this season, the Lakers win the short term.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It reminded me of the old Madden trade engine...where you lump together 3 average players and their total value allows you to pry away a superstar from another team. I agree with dweebs in that both teams kind of got what they wanted, but I think the Lakers immediately became strong contenders while the Pelicans immediately became irrelevant again.

The pelicans are not even close to irrelevant with Zion officially joining the team this week. Now he has Jrue and Ball to get him the basketball.....
I dont know if they want to reunite Barrett and Zion, but they have what they need to move up a spot.

I kinda hope the bulls go after Randle now that he is a free agent. He was always a force in the post and gives us someone with some game down there who can also handle and get outside.

All trade engines work this way since they need to make salaries match.

I dont know if both teams got what they wanted, I think they both got what they needed. Zion gets a clean slate with no daily headlines of when with LaBrow be moving and all the drama involved if for some reason, they thought Zion would be able to learn from him.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm going to need Lavar to proclaim himself or Lonzo the "King of Bourbon Street" sometime soon.