Pirates vs Cardinals. Who do you root against?

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm debating. My mind says the Pirates, but my heart says Cardinals. Man do I hate St. Louis.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'm debating. My mind says the Pirates, but my heart says Cardinals. Man do I hate St. Louis.

It's simple. Win the games you play, and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

And I agree with you on the Cardinals by the way.

If I had my choice, and we were the second wildcard, I wouldn't mind playing a one game playoff in St Louis.

That would mean the Cardinals blew the lead, lost home field advantage throughout, and would have to play the Cubs in a pressure packed, one and done game. :smug2:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
For the short term? Root against the Pirates and Giants because the Cardinals are impossible to catch.

For the long term? Keep hating St Louis
Being surrounded by obnoxious St Louis fans daily, it isn't hard to keep hating the Cards. OTOH, you nailed this. The wildcard competitors are the ones to root against down the stretch.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Just keep winning and it won't matter. And fuck St. Louis.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
There's no significant rivalry between the Cubs and Pirates, is there? I know they're in the same division but it doesn't seem like there's ever been any real animosity there.

Fuck St. Louis, though. Fuck them hard. I hope this Cubs resurgence will end their streak as a relevant franchise.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There's no significant rivalry between the Cubs and Pirates, is there? I know they're in the same division but it doesn't seem like there's ever been any real animosity there.

Fuck St. Louis, though. Fuck them hard. I hope this Cubs resurgence will end their streak as a relevant franchise.
Why does there have to be animosity to be a big rivalry? It's the best "rivalry" in the MLB outside of Boston/NY. The issue has always been that the Cubs haven't held up their end of the bargain, much like the Red Sox not winning a WS for a long time. The Cubs are coming. The rivalry will make sense to MLB baseball fans outside of the Cubs/Cards Nations by this time next year, hopefully.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pirates are the best team in the NL over the Cards in my opinion. Cubs are only going to be able to catch the Pirates if they catch either though.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Why does there have to be animosity to be a big rivalry? It's the best "rivalry" in the MLB outside of Boston/NY. The issue has always been that the Cubs haven't held up their end of the bargain, much like the Red Sox not winning a WS for a long time. The Cubs are coming. The rivalry will make sense to MLB baseball fans outside of the Cubs/Cards Nations by this time next year, hopefully.

There doesn't have to be animosity for there to be a rivalry, but that animosity is going to make it a hell of a lot more entertaining.

And my question regarding the Cubs/Pirates "rivalry" was out of curiosity because I've never heard anything about that being a thing.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There doesn't have to be animosity for there to be a rivalry, but that animosity is going to make it a hell of a lot more entertaining.

And my question regarding the Cubs/Pirates "rivalry" was out of curiosity because I've never heard anything about that being a thing.

Cubs-Cards will always be the biggest rivalry but its just who is winning at the time. The Cubs-Brewers has a great rivalry for a couple of years because they both were fighting to make playoffs and the games were always really good. It also where my deep hatred for Ryan Braun came from.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I will not root for the Cards. Only time would be if it was one game or 2 to get us in the playoffs. At this point, we are in, so FUCK the Cards like always.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like to see them go 17 innings each game flipping the wins (while Cubs sweep again catching ground).

Then both teams become gassed after the series and go into slumps.

Not asking too much

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was going to make a thread while back of who would you rather play in 1 game playoff.

My answer is the Cards. I think that in a 1 game playoff they are easier to beat than in a series because they always seem to do the little things so if you can get that one win against them and knock them out the entire playoffs where as the pirates are still young and don't have that history of deep playoff runs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Being surrounded by obnoxious St Louis fans daily, it isn't hard to keep hating the Cards. OTOH, you nailed this. The wildcard competitors are the ones to root against down the stretch.

Redundancy alert!

Haven't met many who aren't obnoxious and unbelievably arrogant. They spend all their time doing three things: Telling you how great the Cards are, telling you how great the Cards fans are (no explanation as to why, BTW), and whining that not enough media oiutlets are talking about how great the Cards and their fans are.

Binus: In their free time, they'll discuss that Stan Musial doesn't get enough love.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will root against St. Louis, even though we are chasing Pittsburgh.

It's not easy rooting for us to catch the Pirates while rooting for the Pirates to catch the Cards, but I am doing it anyway.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Redundancy alert!

Haven't met many who aren't obnoxious and unbelievably arrogant. They spend all their time doing three things: Telling you how great the Cards are, telling you how great the Cards fans are (no explanation as to why, BTW), and whining that not enough media oiutlets are talking about how great the Cards and their fans are.

Binus: In their free time, they'll discuss that Stan Musial doesn't get enough love.
Yep. The greatest fans? It's easy being a fan when the team wins. I can't wait for them to have some cheese with their whine.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It pains me to have to root for either, but right now I'm rooting against the Pirates. They're much easier to catch than the Cards.