Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Most of the posters on here seem pretty knowledgeable about the game of football, whereas I am more of just a fan of the team and the game itself but do not delve into the x’s and o’s. like some of you. I appreciate the information that I get from you guys. I have a question that I don’t know if it’s been talked about yet or not. The “elite” quarterback status.....what is the actual definition that you guys use. Tds, championships, qbr, yds, overall..... I have yet to see where there is a definitive answer.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Chris Simms analysis is actually spot on

It's fine but he's also optimistic about Mitch's future. What I expect this year is a greater YPA with lots of easy throws due to good reads and folks complaining about the few misses when he's stretching the field..

Last edited:

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of the posters on here seem pretty knowledgeable about the game of football, whereas I am more of just a fan of the team and the game itself but do not delve into the x’s and o’s. like some of you. I appreciate the information that I get from you guys. I have a question that I don’t know if it’s been talked about yet or not. The “elite” quarterback status.....what is the actual definition that you guys use. Tds, championships, qbr, yds, overall..... I have yet to see where there is a definitive answer.

I consider elite at anything in life to be minimally the top 10%, so for QBs that would be top 3 or 4. People nowadays do seem to throw around the term a bit more loosely.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The “elite” quarterback status.....what is the actual definition that you guys use. Tds, championships, qbr, yds, overall..... I have yet to see where there is a definitive answer.

To me, its QBs who can consistently win games with minimal assistance from their teammates.

Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Luck, Brees.

Matt Ryan and Goff are premier 'non-elite' QBs. Newton and Prescott are too inconsistent. Wentz, Watson & Derek Carr need to prove themselves a bit more.

Everyone else is in a giant bin of mediocrity right now, IMO.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
To me, its QBs who can consistently win games with minimal assistance from their teammates.

Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Luck, Brees.

Matt Ryan and Goff are premier 'non-elite' QBs. Newton and Prescott are too inconsistent. Wentz, Watson & Derek Carr need to prove themselves a bit more.

Everyone else is in a giant bin of mediocrity right now, IMO.
all very good quarterbacks but.........Which of these quarterbacks have great offensive lines?Which have great wide receivers? Tight ends? Running backs? It seems that Rivers has the least of those. Rodgers always had a decent line and decent receivers tight ends. Brady always seems to have at least a great o line, tight end and 1 slot receiver or running back, usually not a great rb but productive. Ben had Brown and Bell at one point. Luck has had Hilton and Wayne at various times.....I guess I’m not sure what minimal assistance would be to those qbs. Elite is very hard to define let alone come up with a set standard

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I always wondered what made Brady a cut above

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The “elite” quarterback status.....what is the actual definition that you guys use.

For most it's the best rival team's QB. For others it's the one the media tells them is the goat of the year. For all it's never a Bear.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
For most it's the best rival team's QB. For others it's the one the media tells them is the goat of the year. For all it's never a Bear.
Seriously, it’s a funny topic because nobody can agree with a set standard for the “elite” status.

Reactions: Myk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you have to discuss it, he's probably not elite.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If you have to discuss it, he's probably not elite.
True, but we aren’t discussing just 1 qb but actually a definition....which if you asked 20 people you would probably get 19 different answers.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Throwing for over three hundred yards without a turnover and putting your team in a position to win it at the end is pretty damn good for a first playoff start. It would have been great to see him on the road against a defense he did not play well against (earlier in the season) the following week to see how well he would respond.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True, but we aren’t discussing just 1 qb but actually a definition....which if you asked 20 people you would probably get 19 different answers.
If it's more than 10% of a grouping, how can it be 'elite'? Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Would anyone argue those?

Next tier is Wilson, Rivers, Roth, Ryan, Luck, Goff, Mahomes, Wentz. Elite is sustained top play and ability to rise above. Without age as a consideration, does anyone trade one the 1st 3 for any of the next 8? Wilson, who I really like, could be argued as deserving of that 1st tier but so could others in the 2nd. Rivers has been special for a long time but is immobile. Roth just keeps on ticking and seems to will wins, sometimes to a fault. Goff puts up ridiculous #s but seems soft. Mahomes was as good or better than anyone last year but longevity counts.

Watson will have this entire off season to better integrate after losing last years off season to a knee. Mitch needed more reps and that year in the system which he'll now have. Mayfield looks real and has the offseason to better adapt to the NFL as well. To me, it looks like league QB play is actually improving overall after a long drought but that may just be because we have superb older players sustaining their careers at a high level. Brees, Brady, Roth and Rivers can't be around that much longer with Rodgers (35) and Ryan(34) not too far behind. Losing 1/2 of our top QBs in the next 3-5 years will certainly change the landscape.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Far too many people have a problem downgrading formerly Elite talent. Its also hard to downgrade them from Elite when they maintain their established level of performance and a young buck like Mahomes comes out of nowhere and smokes them statistically. In the end IMO there are about a handful of actually Elite quarterbacks.

The term Elite is way too subjective though so all you're going to get is arguments back and forth about it.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Far too many people have a problem downgrading formerly Elite talent. Its also hard to downgrade them from Elite when they maintain their established level of performance and a young buck like Mahomes comes out of nowhere and smokes them statistically. In the end IMO there are about a handful of actually Elite quarterbacks.

The term Elite is way too subjective though so all you're going to get is arguments back and forth about it.
Agreed...... and it doesn’t apply era to era

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Seriously, it’s a funny topic because nobody can agree with a set standard for the “elite” status.

I came into this thread, bored last night. Saw the SOS. Same old really bad memories glorifying the early careers of now known elites, even if they actually didn't even have an early career like in the case of Rodgers elite bench riding. Colts fans were ripping dicks off for early Manning, Bears fans think he was born elite.

My favorite is "it". "He has it", "He doesn't have it". Fun for fans to make those early predictions, some take it too far and think their predictions are fact and then allow their early predictions to cloud their judgement from then on.
Grossman has "it", it was just a bad game in his virtual rookie year, he'll pull it out.

IMO elite is determined towards the end of a career, definitely not at the start of a career. It is definitely not determined from cloudy fan memories. And to a large point is judged against other players of the time period, there are HOF QBs that wouldn't do squat in today's NFL.