Prospects You Like at Positions of Need

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who are the prospects that you like at obvious positions of need both at 87 and after.

TE

87: Sternberger, Knox, Oliver, Warring

Later: Moreau, Hurd

There are some physical freaks that should be around the 87 range at TE. Knox, Oliver, Warring are all big time athletes. I think Moreau is ultra solid and that Jalen Hurd moving from supersized WR to U TE could be interesting.

RB

87: T. Williams, D Harris

Later: D Ozigbo, M Weber, J Williams, D Williams [if they think they can work on the hands]

They have done a ton of work on all of theses guys so who know where they take one. I really like Harris and Williams, but with the depth I will not be shocked if they leave it till day 3. Ozigbo has the physical tools and Weber is just solid as hell.

CB

87: J Dean, I Johnson, S Bunting

Later: C Balletine, J Moreland, D Baity

Most of these guys are size-speed guys who need development, but with a year to develop them barring health the Bears should try and find someone who can come in and start for them in 2020 with the physical tools for the outside.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I hadn't put much thought into TE, they tend to fly under my radar when they aren't 1-2nd round prospects. Can you break down why you like those guys a little more?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I hadn't put much thought into TE, they tend to fly under my radar when they aren't 1-2nd round prospects. Can you break down why you like those guys a little more?

They all have size and top level athletic ability.

The guys listed are all 6'5" 250lbs and can move. They have the athletic traits to be a factor in the passing game whether they play the Y or U role.

Josh Oliver [San Jose St] 6'5" 249lbs, 4.63[40], 22 reps, 34", 9'9 broad
Kahale Warring [San Diego St] 6'5" 252lbs, 4.76 [40], 19 reps, 36.5" vert, 10'2" broad
Dawson Knox [Ole Miss] 6'4" 254lbs, 4.59 [40], 16 reps, 37" vert

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
Most all the ones you have @ 87 will have a chance to be there in the 4th, especially early 4th and is why its a great time to trade that 3...

87 to Giants for 108, 132, 142

msadows

Liked Posts:
Do people really think we are drafting a TE?

Shaheen coming into the year as a #2 for sure. This is the same GM who gave mr. glass 50 tries to jumpstart his career

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:

Shaheen coming into the year as a #2 for sure. This is the same GM who gave mr. glass 50 tries to jumpstart his career
I think some of the TE's Windy listed are going to look very good to our scouting dept. Would not be surprised if they think one can be a game changer.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He got 3 years before he was essentially completely replace.

The Bears were shitty anyways.

He was the 7th pick.

His money was all guaranteed and it would have cost more to cut him.

Kebin White had more catches in his first 4 games than Shaheen has in his career.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Bears are in a contending window. To rely on an always injured and never productive TE because of draft position would be idiotic.

We are not cutting Shaheen, but they need to add someone who can step in and actually threaten in the passing game.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He got 3 years before he was essentially completely replace.

The Bears were shitty anyways.

He was the 7th pick.

His money was all guaranteed and it would have cost more to cut him.

Kebin White had more catches in his first 4 games than Shaheen has in his career.

Don't disagree with the fact he sucks, but I'm still assuming they give him every opportunity to show it on the field this year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The Bears are in a contending window. To rely on an always injured and never productive TE because of draft position would be idiotic.

We are not cutting Shaheen, but they need to add someone who can step in and actually threaten in the passing game.

I'm pretty sure TE is one of the position with the largest learning curve in the NFL.

I don't really think drafting a 5th round TE helps the window

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure TE is one of the position with the largest learning curve in the NFL.

I don't really think drafting a 5th round TE helps the window

It gives you an option.

In a shipwreck I would like a lifeboat, but in the absence of that I will take a life jacket.

Most day 3 picks are not ready to contribute you take them so that you have an option.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you re-watch the playoff game the Eagles treat Shaheen like an OLmen on their way to double team Cohen every rep.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If you re-watch the playoff game the Eagles treat Shaheen like an OLmen on their way to double team Cohen every rep.

I don't doubt he sucks, because he does. I just think Pace will give him every opportunity to fail again. Didn't mean to derail your thread bro.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't doubt he sucks, because he does. I just think Pace will give him every opportunity to fail again. Didn't mean to derail your thread bro.

I doubt Nagy allows that to happen again. We already saw Nagy jettison a successful Pace pick that was limiting his offense.

This is an unsuccessful pick that is limiting his offense.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I doubt Nagy allows that to happen again. We already saw Nagy jettison a successful Pace pick that was limiting his offense.

This is an unsuccessful pick that is limiting his offense.
It is so sad that a guy with his athletic traits is so slow to pick up a bigger role. I can't say with specifics as it is anecdotal, but I never notice him threatening space more than five or ten yards from the LOS. Ideally he would be a dream, his size match-up down the seem should make him a nightmare on play-action. He should be attacking zone defenses. I really hope he spent his personal off-season working on his running form and skills.

I mean, there's a non-zero chance that this guy will never be more than "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." But I'm personally still patient with his growth. This was a huge leap and he did have good growth as a pro player over his rookie year. I just hope this is a slow learning process, and not him hitting a wall.