Question on Castro hitting philosophy

Which way would you rather have Castro hit?

• Try and change him to develop power

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MRubio52

Liked Posts:

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
as opposed to your statements based on watching the Houston Astros according to your own statements.

My mistake there was a six game second half difference in wins.
I have now lost all credibility and will be commiting suicide.
Good bye.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My mistake there was a six game second half difference in wins.
I have now lost all credibility and will be commiting suicide.
Good bye.
[video=youtube;23kFiqFiOlA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23kFiqFiOlA[/video]

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
But this last season, in his third MLB season, he posted his worst BA, OBP and OPS of his young career. You like to see players progressing, not regressing. It could have been an off season, or it could be that he wont ever become the elite player he was projected to be. There has been some significant questions surrounding his intensity and work ethic and often looks uninterested on the field. He was signed to a fair contract, but needs to improve his play by the time 2017 comes around and the contract increases.

The Royals have Escobar under team control through 2017 for under $21M and has become a very similar player. Less power at the plate but a better base stealer and a superior defender.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
But this last season, in his third MLB season, he posted his worst BA, OBP and OPS of his young career. You like to see players progressing, not regressing. It could have been an off season, or it could be that he wont ever become the elite player he was projected to be. There has been some significant questions surrounding his intensity and work ethic and often looks uninterested on the field. He was signed to a fair contract, but needs to improve his play by the time 2017 comes around and the contract increases.

The Royals have Escobar under team control through 2017 for under $21M and has become a very similar player. Less power at the plate but a better base stealer and a superior defender.

This is the most reasoned post you've offered by far, and I wish the conversation had started with this as a starting point.

I agree that last year was his worst season, but the point that I've been raising that some of the deeper numbers point to increase next season in terms of SLG and OPS. It is a question mark if he will ever put it together to be that franchise type player, and that is why I think most of us are open to trading Castro for a good package.

Escobar is an interesting comparison. Escobar is a near elite defender at SS and so that does have to factor into his value. However he had a career year last year and Castro had the worst year of his career. And even in those circumstances Castro was the better player in terms of OPS and is three years younger.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Player progression is not an infinite incline. Players go through developmental issues for awhile.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/yountro01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/griffke02.shtml

Those three are different types of players. Those three came up young. All of those three experienced some sort of slump when they should have been constantly improving.

I'm not comping Starlin to HOFers, this is merely to illustrate the point that even the legends go through rough years that we all forget for one reason or another.

Castro isn't a super player. He's likely a 6 (2-8). He's going to struggle some years.

Baseball isn't like any other sport, the young generally get eaten alive for the first half of their career, they figure it out, enjoy a relatively small set of years that combine ability with knowledge, and then gradually lose ability until they can't do it anymore. To demand a steady incline of progress is silly and unrealistic.

Let Starlin Castro become what he will become. Stop disparaging him because he isn't what you think he should be.