Ranking the NFL's Top "Triplets"

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you are over rating Romo. Let's remember that a then rookie Dak Prescott lead them to a 13-3 record. I've went off in another thread saying the wins/loses should all be on the QB, but as a playoff performer he's 2-4 and was notorious for last season slumps.

Maybe I can clarify my comments. Both Cousins and Romo are similar in that if they weren't suiting up there the respective teams would do poorly. Neither QB would have them consistently being a double digit win team, but they would keep them within right around 8-8, so they would always keep them 'in the hunt'.

Kirk is not a bad QB. He has limitations, but that doesn't mean he's bad.

You can blame Kirk for the Vikings regression, but you have to remember their D took a big step back. They went from being #1 in points and yards against to #9 and #4 respectively. Maybe here's a better comparison:

Keenum in his anomaly season = Comp % = 67.6, 3547 yards, 22 TDs, 7 Ints, 236.5 YPG, 98.3 QB Rating, 74.3 QBR

Cousins last year = Comp % = 70.1, 4298 yards, 30 TDs, 10 Ints, 268.6 YPG, 99.7 QB Rating, 60.6 QBR.

Looks like they got very comparable production from the QB spot. I don't think you can pin their regression solely on Cousins.

Late EDIT/ADD - I completely understand why fans on a Bears message board dislike a division rival's starting QB. You guys would like nothing better to have that contract sink that team. I was the same way when he was in Washington, but over time I saw that he's actually a good player (comparable to Romo). There might also be some limited viewing bias. In the two games against your Bears he played well below his season average, so if you only saw those games it would be a sample size that doesn't accurately reflect his full season.

Does anybody remember 2016 Brian Hoyer? That is Kirk Cousins to a T. I mean, they are an exact replica of each other. Tons of stat stuffing yards on underneath throws and failed receptions (garbage dump off yards on 3rd and Long). Afraid to take a shot downfield due to lack of confidence in arm. Will always go with the safe pass until he has no other choice or when it’s already too late. What you end up with is a QB incapable of winning you games, just kinda lets you linger around until the 4th quarter.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Does anybody remember 2016 Brian Hoyer? That is Kirk Cousins to a T. I mean, they are an exact replica of each other. Tons of stat stuffing yards on underneath throws and failed receptions (garbage dump off yards on 3rd and Long). Afraid to take a shot downfield due to lack of confidence in arm. Will always go with the safe pass until he has no other choice or when it’s already too late. What you end up with is a QB incapable of winning you games, just kinda lets you linger around until the 4th quarter.

Case Keenum flopped in Denver last year, but I really don't see much of a difference between him and Cousins. To me, its like listening to Dan Bernstein vainly trying to argue that Jay Cutler was/is/will be superior to Josh McCown...Cutler/Cousins will always have an easier time finding playing time because people view him as a starting QB, but he's not any "better" than McCown/Keenum.

It's not surprising to me that Keenum posted a higher YPA, AYPA, YPC numbers in 2017 with the Vikings than Cousins did with the 2018 Vikings. As a team, the Vikings went from 9th in net yards per pass attempt in 2017 to 18th in 2018. Thielen's YPC dropped from 14.0 to 12.2, Diggs went from 13.3 to 10.0.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I get where you are going. Athletically there are comparisons. They are around 6'2 and a bit lighter for the position. Where I think there are big differences in how they responded to opportunities and how well they have performed. Hoyer started 4 games in his first 5 seasons. After that Cleveland gave him some starts, then Houston then he's been a career backup ever since. Cousins had 9 starts in his first 3 seasons when RG3 was hurt, but once he became a starter (48 and counting).

Hoyer - Comp % 59.3, Yards 9902, 48 TDs, 30 Ints, 152.3 YPG and QB Rating 83.2
Cousins - Comp % 66.5, Yards, 20504, 129 TDs, 65 Ints, 262.9 YPG, QB Rating 95.0

There is one other similarity. They both have one career playoff start under their belt here's how both went:

Hoyer - 15/34 (44.1%), 136 yards, 0 TDs, 4 Int, 15.9 QB Rating
Cousins - 29/46 (63.0%), 329 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int, 91.7 QB Rating

Just to draw a comparison it would be like me saying Mitch is just like Vince Young. Sure there might be a few things that are comparable, but there are also material reasons why their careers will probably look quite a bit different (just like Hoyer and Cousins careers look very different).

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Case Keenum flopped in Denver last year, but I really don't see much of a difference between him and Cousins. To me, its like listening to Dan Bernstein vainly trying to argue that Jay Cutler was/is/will be superior to Josh McCown...Cutler/Cousins will always have an easier time finding playing time because people view him as a starting QB, but he's not any "better" than McCown/Keenum.

It's not surprising to me that Keenum posted a higher YPA, AYPA, YPC numbers in 2017 with the Vikings than Cousins did with the 2018 Vikings. As a team, the Vikings went from 9th in net yards per pass attempt in 2017 to 18th in 2018. Thielen's YPC dropped from 14.0 to 12.2, Diggs went from 13.3 to 10.0.
Cousins has had bad games, but he's never flopped. That's more valuable that it sounds and is often overlooked. The guy went from last year of his rookie deal to being franchised twice to being given a massive, fully guaranteed deal. He's bet on himself 3 years in a row and delivered. Think about that for a second. The team hasn't been willing to commit fully to him and every year they are back at the table talking about a higher number each time. This isn't the Brock Osweiler or Brian Hoyer turning a few starts into that one big payday. He's earned everything he's gotten. If you think he was a bad signing by Minnesota last year he had a better passer rating than Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Nick Foles, etc... To be clear I AM NOT saying QB rating is a perfect stat or that he's better than those listed QBs. I'm more saying he did well by one statistical measure while the former QB, Case Keenum, flopped and is now a bonnafide career backup.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Cousins has had bad games, but he's never flopped. That's more valuable that it sounds and is often overlooked

I agree...Cousins never really has outright terrible performances, so it elevates his overall numbers into appearing something more than average (if that makes sense). He is like a consistent "rich man's Jay Cutler" playing in an Adam Gase offense.

Cousins didn't really bet on himself and "deliver" 3 years in a row...he bet on himself and was able to stay at the blackjack table. If he ever delivered, the Redskins would have given him a long-term deal. The problem was that he never really did. And that is kind of what Minnesota did...they basically paid an exorbitant amount of money to avoid the risk of having Keenum flop on them...not for Cousins to actually be better than Keenum 2017. JMO

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I agree...Cousins never really has outright terrible performances, so it elevates his overall numbers into appearing something more than average (if that makes sense). He is like a consistent "rich man's Jay Cutler" playing in an Adam Gase offense.

Cousins didn't really bet on himself and "deliver" 3 years in a row...he bet on himself and was able to stay at the blackjack table. If he ever delivered, the Redskins would have given him a long-term deal. The problem was that he never really did. And that is kind of what Minnesota did...they basically paid an exorbitant amount of money to avoid the risk of having Keenum flop on them...not for Cousins to actually be better than Keenum 2017. JMO
That's a vary fair assessment. IMO Cousins fits into that mid tier of QBs. That group is like a Flacco/Eli in their prime, meaning you can win with them. There's also a group like Hoyer/Keenum that will get you so far, but ultimately can't get on a streak where a Superbowl win is realistic.

The sad part about the NFL is that there's a shortage of 'good enough' QBs. Look at the list of QBs based on their average compensation. In the top 10 is Jimmy G, Matt Stafford and Derek Carr. Right beneath that tier are your Flacco, A.Smith and Eli, but they are all well over $20M a year.

Looking 1-2 years out Trubinsky, Wentz, Goff, Prescott, Mahomes and Watson will all be coming due and just based on the market it will be over $30M/season.

I'm getting used to the world saying 'they paid too much' for middle of the road QBs, but truthfully that's just the going rate for a QB that's 'good enough' to win a championship with.

CNiel36

Liked Posts:

Cutler/Cousins have more talent plain and simple. But both are mental midgets, and choke and the most important moments. Mccown/Keenum play there best when the lights are brightest.

What amazes me is how horrible Keenum was in Denver. I mean he was really really bad.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Cutler/Cousins have more talent plain and simple. But both are mental midgets, and choke and the most important moments. Mccown/Keenum play there best when the lights are brightest.

What amazes me is how horrible Keenum was in Denver. I mean he was really really bad.
I'm assuming Denver has some weird controls over their lighting where it just isn't as bright?

All jokes aside:

Cutler - Physically he's a freak. Freak arm and a very good overall athlete. He's also a massive dickhead so team sports might not be what motivates him. He also would lean heavily on his god given gifts, so timing throws or operating within an offense wasn't his strength.

Cousins - Physically limited, but an extremely hard worker. Guys rally around him, but that's because they see that he cares. Always says/does the right thing and will never throw a teammate under the bus.

Keenum - Career backup who caught lightning in a bottle for a season and got paid because of it.

McCown - Like Keenum, but he looks like Mickey Rourke's verson of 'Marv' in Sin City:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This list shows there are no true triplets in their prime.

The Packers would be if a true dominant running back emerged.
The Saints kinda are but if you gloss over the fact that Brees is most definitely in the decline.
Mahomes/Hunt/Hill would have been a true triplett.

There simply are none that qualify. Alot of old QB's, or young QB's, or not "dominant" QB's.

But the Bears don't fit well into this mold with a cerebral QB and a "get the ball into playmakers hands" offense.

Where they get you is their 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th guy are better than your secondary guys.

First of all, its Trubs, Montgomery, Robinson right now.
The Bears 4th, 5th, and 6th guy are Cohen, Miller, Burton probably.

Then Gabriel, Ridley, Shaheen, Davis all will be given the opportunity to contribute as well.

The depth does get thin at TE there...with a big fat ?? mark. And Burton is the first guy you mention where you are like...meh? worth mentioning?