Redsox fire sale ????

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If the Redsox were to sell off, would the cubs be interested in Mookie Betts..
Who would they trade for him? Bryant? Schwarber? Hoerner?

Last edited:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If the Redsox were to sell off, would the cubs be interested in Mookie Betts..
Who would they trade for him? Bryant? Schwarber? Hoerner?

Wait wait wait...is this thread about the Cubs fire sale you said should happen after one week of baseball?

Are they not doing the fire sale now?

Is Maddon not going to be fired in May?

Are the Brewers not going to play .850 ball the rest of the year?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Realistically speaking the Cubs have nothing for Betts.

Red Sox have the worst farm. Cubs have the 2nd worst.

1. San Diego Padres

2. Tampa Bay Rays

3. Atlanta Braves

4. Chicago White Sox

5. Toronto Blue Jays

6. Houston Astros

7. Los Angeles Dodgers

8. Minnesota Twins

9. Cincinnati Reds

10. Detroit Tigers

Now looking at these teams I would rank it 1: SDP as a target. They are in a window right now and Betts would impact beating the Dodgers.

MacKenzie Gore, LHP (15); Luis Urias, INF (23); Francisco Mejia, C, OF (26) Would be a good offer. All are depth covered right now.

3. Atlanta Braves
Braves' Top 30 Prospects | Breakdown
Top 100: 8 – Mike Soroka, RHP (24); Kyle Wright, RHP (30); Ian Anderson, RHP (32); Cristian Pache, OF (37); Austin Riley, 3B (38); Touki Toussaint, RHP (50); Bryse Wilson, RHP (82); Drew Waters, OF (86)

#2 IMO. They avoided spending big but that doesn't mean that they wont trade.

Astros would have to be next but I doubt they would deplete their system. They are a top 5 team and not a lurker.

LAD
I could say they would be #1 or 2. They need a legit RH impact bat with their heavy left handed hitting. Add to it the Pads are looking legit again and blocking that deal would be wise.

Twins are a maybe. I don't see their market strong enough to retain so I see them sticking to internal development.

Rest no.

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Realistically speaking the Cubs have nothing for Betts.

Red Sox have the worst farm. Cubs have the 2nd worst.

1. San Diego Padres

2. Tampa Bay Rays

3. Atlanta Braves

4. Chicago White Sox

5. Toronto Blue Jays

6. Houston Astros

7. Los Angeles Dodgers

8. Minnesota Twins

9. Cincinnati Reds

10. Detroit Tigers

Now looking at these teams I would rank it 1: SDP as a target. They are in a window right now and Betts would impact beating the Dodgers.

MacKenzie Gore, LHP (15); Luis Urias, INF (23); Francisco Mejia, C, OF (26) Would be a good offer. All are depth covered right now.

3. Atlanta Braves
Top 100: 8 – Mike Soroka, RHP (24); Kyle Wright, RHP (30); Ian Anderson, RHP (32); Cristian Pache, OF (37); Austin Riley, 3B (38); Touki Toussaint, RHP (50); Bryse Wilson, RHP (82); Drew Waters, OF (86)

#2 IMO. They avoided spending big but that doesn't mean that they wont trade.

Astros would have to be next but I doubt they would deplete their system. They are a top 5 team and not a lurker.

3. Atlanta Braves

LAD
I could say they would be #1 or 2. They need a legit RH impact bat with their heavy left handed hitting. Add to it the Pads are looking legit again and blocking that deal would be wise.

Twins are a maybe. I don't see their market strong enough to retain so I see them sticking to internal development.

Rest no.
Not disagreeing, if the Redsox were to unload , I'm sure theyd want a bunch of prospects..
Cubs would really have to unload from deep into their system probably..

More then likely gonna cost 300 to 400 mil to keep him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not disagreeing, if the Redsox were to unload , I'm sure theyd want a bunch of prospects..
Cubs would really have to unload from deep into their system probably..

More then likely gonna cost 300 to 400 mil to keep him

There was a muse for Russell for Lindor. Clevland can't afford to retain him and Russell should be cheap to extend for them with his recent issues.

Both go F/A in 2021 but for a small market it makes sense.

Now this article said Carlos Luis Carrasco for Allozay. And justified it as a salary dump for the Indians. I don't know if I buy that though.

If the Cubs offered Russell, Happ and Brailyn Marquez for Lindor and Carrasico I could buy that.

Francisco Lindor ss
1 year/$10.55M (2019)

Carlos Carrasco rhp
4 years/$47M (2019-22), plus 2023 option
  • 4 years/$47M (2019-22), plus 2023 club option
    • signed extension with Cleveland 12/6/18
    • 19:$9.75M, 20:$10.25M, 21:$12M, 22:$12M, 23:$14M club option ($3M buyout)
Cubs would be taking on contract and adding a RHP that they could move int the closer role.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There was a muse for Russell for Lindor. Clevland can't afford to retain him and Russell should be cheap to extend for them with his recent issues.

Both go F/A in 2021 but for a small market it makes sense.

Now this article said Carlos Luis Carrasco for Allozay. And justified it as a salary dump for the Indians. I don't know if I buy that though.

If the Cubs offered Russell, Happ and Brailyn Marquez for Lindor and Carrasico I could buy that.

Francisco Lindor ss
1 year/$10.55M (2019)

Carlos Carrasco rhp
4 years/$47M (2019-22), plus 2023 option
  • 4 years/$47M (2019-22), plus 2023 club option
    • signed extension with Cleveland 12/6/18
    • 19:$9.75M, 20:$10.25M, 21:$12M, 22:$12M, 23:$14M club option ($3M buyout)
Cubs would be taking on contract and adding a RHP that they could move int the closer role.

Their goal is to win a WS this year, the first thing they need to do is address the pen.
They need a closer

They cant sit here and rely on Edwards Montgomery or Morrow as guys to look to of and when they return

If their not going to spend money on Kimbrel then their going to need to trade..
I doubt their gonna trade any of their top hitting prospects like Hoerner or Amaya, so it going to most likely see what they can get for Russell Happ maybe with Montgomery or Edwards

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Their goal is to win a WS this year, the first thing they need to do is address the pen.
They need a closer

They cant sit here and rely on Edwards Montgomery or Morrow as guys to look to of and when they return

If their not going to spend money on Kimbrel then their going to need to trade..
I doubt their gonna trade any of their top hitting prospects like Hoerner or Amaya, so it going to most likely see what they can get for Russell Happ maybe with Montgomery or Edwards

Actually that deal would address a lead off and a closer.

If you were to attack it from a retention stand point you bring up the deal and let Boras work a extend with Cleveland. That gives them control at SS and Russell a fresh start.

Cubs get Carrisso as the closer. Cleveland then dumps around 18Mil on the Cubs.

Cleveland would just push Cody Anderson back into the rotation.

As far as a return I wouldn't make anyone off limits then if I had Bryant, Lindor, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras as my IF. Russell and Happ plus any combo of the top 4. They need a catcher sure...Nico ok. Both Alozay and Marquez sure.

End of the day I'm thinking play off push and that trade kinda makes them the favored in the NL.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Since when do the Red Sox sell off players? Stupid thought

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
It a what if discussion, which was talked about on radio and tv because of what Price said.. read the article
It's total nonsense and would never happen. So, why would you talk about it?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
There is zero chance the Red Sox deal Betts this season.

The Yankees are at .500 and have a zillion guys hurt, and the Red Sox are deciding in April to throw in the towel?

Who seriously thinks this is going to happen?

(The same folks who think Cleveland will ship us the better SS for our guy who is suspended, and they'll throw in a pitcher??)

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
When I was 12 I would create all these incredible trades for the Cubs. Like we get Tom Seaver and cash and the Mets get Al Spangler

chibears55

Liked Posts:

The Yankees are at .500 and have a zillion guys hurt, and the Red Sox are deciding in April to throw in the towel?

(The same folks who think Cleveland will ship us the better SS for our guy who is suspended, and they'll throw in a pitcher??)

The discussion was off of what Price had said and it was mostly because of their bad start and it was a what if discussion..

If they dont get back into the race and because Betts and bosox couldn't agree on an extension and he will probably cost 300+ mil, would they consider trading him along with others to rebuild, whether at deadline or in offseason ..

Just a baseball conversation because of what Price said, no one saying it something that will happen 100%

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Not my idea. But saw some logic in it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The discussion was off of what Price had said and it was mostly because of their bad start and it was a what if discussion..

If they dont get back into the race and because Betts and bosox couldn't agree on an extension and he will probably cost 300+ mil, would they consider trading him along with others to rebuild, whether at deadline or in offseason ..

Just a baseball conversation because of what Price said, no one saying it something that will happen 100%

I'm pretty sure that they would off load Price first to get payroll under cap before unloading Betts.

Betts would be a farm system refill.

I could see them taking a page from what the Yanks did in 2016. Off load and reload with top tier and attack with in 2 years with budget under control. Right now they are in a bad spot

CSF77

Liked Posts:
When the Tigers bitch slap you it might be time for a change.