Report: Chicago Cubs interested in New York Mets' Jon Niese - Mets Blog - ESPN

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cash is sucking in a pitcher friendly park this year. Koehler is not that bad and would cost something significant. I don't see Theo giving up anything that he considers in the plans.

As in "plans": Schwarber/Baez/Alcantara. I could see Fowler leaving Via F/A. Montero traded. Schwarber in at Catcher under Ross's guide. Alcantara leading off playing CF. (He has lead off all year at AAA). Bryant moved to LF and Baez at 3B. That is the most likely scenario next year. I don't see them messing with that much.

I don't think Montero goes anywhere until late next year or the winter before 2017. Schwarber won't be ready at catcher to start 2016. Best guess is that he comes up in August this year and plays some LF, then goes back down to AAA at the start of 2016 to keep catching every day. At some point then he comes up and catches 2-3 days a week and LF the rest of the time and takes over as full time catcher in 2017.

Cashner would likely cost more than Koehler from what I'm reading but again I think these are the types of guys they'll target. Underachievers with upside. Could be a name nobody is talking about too. These guys are like that. What I doubt is that it will be a guy that's simply a 4 or 5 and will stay that way. I think they want potential.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think Montero goes anywhere until late next year or the winter before 2017. Schwarber won't be ready at catcher to start 2016. Best guess is that he comes up in August this year and plays some LF, then goes back down to AAA at the start of 2016 to keep catching every day. At some point then he comes up and catches 2-3 days a week and LF the rest of the time and takes over as full time catcher in 2017.

Cashner would likely cost more than Koehler from what I'm reading but again I think these are the types of guys they'll target. Underachievers with upside. Could be a name nobody is talking about too. These guys are like that. What I doubt is that it will be a guy that's simply a 4 or 5 and will stay that way. I think they want potential.

I would rather get Niese over those 2. More dependable

Maybe on Schwarber. Maddon gave Russell the day off and said him and Bryant will be getting more days off as the season goes because they have never played a full season yet. Think Russell maxed out at 110 games. So this suggests that when Baez gets back they will start pulling a rotation with him, Bryant and Russell. Bryant in LF at times etc. Just to get them a full season in. Next year it should shake out more.

In view of this I'm not so sure on Schwarber in LF. They may do that in AAA to limit his games behind the dish but I'm not sold if they will or will not shut him down in Sept. Maybe as a PH/catch a game here and there in sept. Still I'm not sure if they are trying to limit his super 2 status or not. If they are in it well they will need a bump for sure and him getting into a play off atmosphere is worth the clock time used. Now if they are out of it I expect him shut down.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

While I agree on most points, one that I feel will be different will be that Schwarber starts off as the everyday LF'er. He can spot start or come in in certain situations, thus giving them three catchers again and he can learn from the pro's at the parent level.

I feel Bryant stays at 3B for now, Russell switches to SS and Baez comes up to play 2B. Castro is traded IMO with some prospects for a starter.

Schwarber will give them a real good balance of power bats with Rizzo, Schwarber and Montero from the left side, and Bryant, Soler and Baez from the right.

They need some OBP to go around that, and I hope Russell's starts to rise after a year up in the bigs, and I also hope they take a good hard look at Denard Span to lead-off. Of course, there will be many teams looking at him, but he would look good at the top of the line-up as he knows how to get on base.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with you on Span...used to love how he torched the Sox. But I'm still not sold on Baez....he needs to show a lot to deal Castro away. This lineup is already overloaded with guys who SO a lot. Castro may not be the best defensive SS but he generally makes contact and is a pretty good hitter. Nobody can field a perfect team...his glove is something they can live with. Only a major step forward by Baez will change that.

willycat

Liked Posts:
When he made that quote the context was not "I want to go to the Cubs", it was in the context of "Even a team that hasn't won while anyone on the planet was alive still has reasons for me to have an interest so I am not eliminating anyone at this point."
Spoken like a true jealous sox fan. just continue making up quotes and not going to games( ahead of only three teams in average attendance) and I can guarantee you one team he won't be playing for: it's that tax payer funded group on the south side of Chicago.