Rookie mini camp

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

This is telling.... they were not just looking at the make or not made kicks they were looking at things like “Every kick held a lot of weight,” Kjellsten said. “Even if you made the kick, if the ball wasn’t rotating the right way or if it knocked off the upright and then went in, it was no good to them.”

They are looking at what a quality kick is, and the guy that can kick that way will end up being more accurate during the season. A ball flight that is not rotating properly could be affect by the Chicago weather a lot more than one that is strong.

I honestly feel like this is the benefits of having a kicking consultant and technology to help identify the best kickers...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This is telling.... they were not just looking at the make or not made kicks they were looking at things like “Every kick held a lot of weight,” Kjellsten said. “Even if you made the kick, if the ball wasn’t rotating the right way or if it knocked off the upright and then went in, it was no good to them.”

They are looking at what a quality kick is, and the guy that can kick that way will end up being more accurate during the season. A ball flight that is not rotating properly could be affect by the Chicago weather a lot more than one that is strong.

I honestly feel like this is the benefits of having a kicking consultant and technology to help identify the best kickers...

Yet the identification process of the kickers beforehand was such a failure that they invited the punter to come over, and afterwards they signed Eddy Piniero. I think those things are most telling, not that they have a computer that can tell you if a kick knocked off the upright and then went in.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Bottom line for me is they are not sitting on their asses, they are doing something out of the ordinary, because what they were doing before obviously did not work. It sounds like you would rather have them doing nothing...WTF?

Why wait, till October 11th or some other arbitrary date that is much later in the season, that sounds like a recipe for another crappy kicker to end up being the starter.....

Sometimes I wonder why I post here. (As does 75% of CCS)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Many on here have been making fun of how they've gone about this finding their next kicker process but i have no problem with them doing what they're doing and creating these pressure kick situations and bringing in these kicking experts to help.

Now lets just hope it all works out and we find the next great NFL kicker.....or at least the next good consistent one.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bottom line for me is they are not sitting on their asses, they are doing something out of the ordinary, because what they were doing before obviously did not work. It sounds like you would rather have them doing nothing...WTF?

Why wait, till October 11th or some other arbitrary date that is much later in the season, that sounds like a recipe for another crappy kicker to end up being the starter.....

Was that for me? I'm good with what they're doing.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
No, its the opposite of "over the top vetting". Its a clown show for PR purposes. Why the secrecy? Its like they got a bunch or resumes from LinkedIn or Monster, brought in 100 people for 5 minute interviews, then eliminated 98 of the 100 candidates.

As I have asked ad nauseum in this thread and have yet to get a response from homers like Windy/ZenBear/JoJo, why are the Bears using this 'emergency procedure' in early May? Why the rush to plow through 'prospects'? I would expect something like this if the Bears needed a kicker by Sunday...but in the offseason?! It makes no sense.

I continue to be distrustful of an organization that has proven to be unable to evaluate the kicker position and also that is not forthcoming with information regarding the search process. If my opinion and questions cause CCS members to be "upset" (LOL), then so be it, I guess. I'm not sure what they are expecting.
To begin with, just because I am against people who are 100% negative all the time does not make me a homer. I am also against those who are 100% positive all the time.

Emergency procedure is your term. It is not an emergency procedure. It is the way that Nagy chose to address the kicking competition because last year there was zero competition and the kicker folded when facing the smallest of resistance.

Please go look at the kicking school videos and tell me if there is more stress put on the kickers, punters and long snappers than the Bears did by having them kick at the end of practice. I saw one of those videos and everything EVERYTHING was a competition. There were 1000s of people watching the kicking competition. One of the 2 best throughout the camp had a chance to go instantly to the final by beating out the other one. What did one of them do? He choked under that pressure and missed 2 out of 3 (miss 2 and you are out) while the other guy was perfect. The loser then went on to a competition with, I believe, 5 others and choked again.

It didn't matter that he was one of the best 2 kickers out of hundreds (not 8) kickers. He choked whenever he faced pressure.

Pretty useful thing to find out, don't you think?

What happens when a body is stressed? It either breaks or gets stronger. The Bears found out who were the weak-minded kickers, the kickers with problems that are too much effort to fix and the just plain horrible kickers.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Bears might be doing this for the kickers benefit. I'll admit it seemed odd to cut some of the kicker so quickly, as if it is urgent to place someone. But If I am a kicker and I'm looking for a job and the Bears invite me to a "tryout", I am going to take it and if they obviously have someone else in mind, please send me on my way quickly so that I have an opportunity to be in TC with another team.

I can't really explain why they have done this fire drill of sorts, but it would not surprise me if League rules played into it somehow. Maybe this kind of thing is not allowed later in the season. :unsure:

Hell I don't know maybe it is PR, but I am glad we are not just sitting back and accepting Parkey will "get better" because his contract was too big.
There is a 90 man limit going into preseason. Do you really think that the Bears were going to take up 10% of their preseason roster on 9 kickers?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Emergency procedure is your term. It is not an emergency procedure. It is the way that Nagy chose to address the kicking competition because last year there was zero competition and the kicker folded when facing the smallest of resistance.

You saying "It is not an emergency procedure" is your term. It is the opposite of reality. What I have said repeatedly in this thread actually makes sense...you see this sort of "mass tryout" during the regular season when you are pressed for time and need to make a decision quickly. I cannot recall an instance of this taking place in the beginning of May. If you can, please cite.

It didn't matter that he was one of the best 2 kickers out of hundreds (not 8) kickers. He choked whenever he faced pressure.

Pretty useful thing to find out, don't you think?

What happens when a body is stressed? It either breaks or gets stronger. The Bears found out who were the weak-minded kickers, the kickers with problems that are too much effort to fix and the just plain horrible kickers.

So I'm not sure where Bednarski and Parkey fit in with all of this? Bednarski made his 'pressure kicks', then was sent home because his kicks weren't pretty enough. I am pretty sure that if Parkey was included in this motley crew of tryout kickers, he would have kicked the prettiest ball. But you wouldn't want to keep Parkey because he is "weak-minded", so then what are the Bears looking for?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
There is a 90 man limit going into preseason. Do you really think that the Bears were going to take up 10% of their preseason roster on 9 kickers?

This may just be the most ridiculous, most stupid, most Pro-Pace posting I've ever seen. So the Bears season ended prematurely due to Pace's total inactivity in addressing the kicker situation...and now we are praising Pace because he ISN'T putting 9 kickers on the preseason roster? HUH????

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This may just be the most ridiculous, most stupid, most Pro-Pace posting I've ever seen. So the Bears season ended prematurely due to Pace's total inactivity in addressing the kicker situation...and now we are praising Pace because he ISN'T putting 9 kickers on the preseason roster? HUH????
You are one big ol' piece of shit.

You create a stupid ass argument and then use more stupid arguments that make no sense to "prove you point".

Does your name IRL happen to be Donald Trump?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Exactly, so that is reason enough to have this "tryout" early