Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
Got my last big "event" since working on getting back into shape starting this last Feb 15th. Its been 7 months and I have lost 4 inches around the waist to go from a 38 to a 34 pant. Dropped 30 pounds to be a 6 foot 2 inch 182 pound guy. I went from not being able to run a mile straight to in two days I'm doing my first half marathon. Looking to finish it somewhere around the 2:05-2:20 range (been having some ITBS issues so I am going to stop every 3 or 4 miles and do some stretching for a few minutes as a precaution). Pretty excited about all of this. Did a Tough Mudder in July and a half in September after smoking, drinking and just overall being in bad health - which isn't so good when you are in the military. After this race I am going to take a little time off and let my body sorta heal for a bit and then hit some weights for the first time in my life. Hoping to really be able to dominate the Tough Mudder next year if I decide to do it again.

Anyways, I'll let you all know how it goes sometime next week.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Got my last big "event" since working on getting back into shape starting this last Feb 15th. Its been 7 months and I have lost 4 inches around the waist to go from a 38 to a 34 pant. Dropped 30 pounds to be a 6 foot 2 inch 182 pound guy. I went from not being able to run a mile straight to in two days I'm doing my first half marathon. Looking to finish it somewhere around the 2:05-2:20 range (been having some ITBS issues so I am going to stop every 3 or 4 miles and do some stretching for a few minutes as a precaution). Pretty excited about all of this. Did a Tough Mudder in July and a half in September after smoking, drinking and just overall being in bad health - which isn't so good when you are in the military. After this race I am going to take a little time off and let my body sorta heal for a bit and then hit some weights for the first time in my life. Hoping to really be able to dominate the Tough Mudder next year if I decide to do it again.

Good luck, and take care of those knees. I'm just coming off a four month hiatus due to MTSS.
(aka - the shin splints from hell)

bears12th

Liked Posts:
So, half marathon is done. Met all my goals, set all sorts of new PRs so I am happy. It could have been much better as I was and have been dealing with ITBS for a while and knew at some point I was going to have to stop and do some serious stretching which sorta pushed back my time a bit. Finished in 2:13:44 which I am very happy about. Its slow for you real runners but figuring that I was smoking, drinking heavily, and 30 pounds heavier just 7 months ago and my longest race was a 5 mile run years ago, I am pretty excited. Going to take some time off from running for a bit to stretch and heal up the IT Band and start hitting some weights.

Bears win, finished a half marathon before the game, sitting back relaxing now. Nice little Sunday.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

So, half marathon is done. Met all my goals, set all sorts of new PRs so I am happy. It could have been much better as I was and have been dealing with ITBS for a while and knew at some point I was going to have to stop and do some serious stretching which sorta pushed back my time a bit. Finished in 2:13:44 which I am very happy about. Its slow for you real runners but figuring that I was smoking, drinking heavily, and 30 pounds heavier just 7 months ago and my longest race was a 5 mile run years ago, I am pretty excited. Going to take some time off from running for a bit to stretch and heal up the IT Band and start hitting some weights.

Bears win, finished a half marathon before the game, sitting back relaxing now. Nice little Sunday.

Congrats.

What half marathon did you run?

Also, justan FYI but stopping to stretch your IT band every 3-4 miles isn't going to do anything. When your IT band starts to become inflamed it's not an issue of flexibility, it's an over use/ form/muscle issue. You can't stretch away tendinitis. You need to rest, buy a knee strap, get new shoes, and/or scale back your training.

I'd suggest going to a 3 day a week program cross training 3 times a week and resting one day a week. Also, go to Walgreens and buy ice wraps and ice after every run.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
What half marathon did you run?

Ran the Niantic Bay Half-Marathon here in CT. Its a double lap loop like thing through the Rocky Neck State Park and surrounding neighborhood. Its got some great views and is relatively flat for out here. Going to take some serious time off now to let the knee heal up. Have great shoes that have been custom fit as well as inserts and everything I got from a specialty running store months ago and am on my 2nd pair, the shoes I don't think are the problem. My problem is that I was sooooo outta shape when I started prepping for the Tough Mudder and 1/2 that I probably just over did it as I keep thinking I am a 21 yr old in shape and I am nothing close to that, albeit much closer today than 7 months ago. Anyways, its been fun and a great learning experience and I am looking forward to next outside season to have some more fun.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ran the Niantic Bay Half-Marathon here in CT. Its a double lap loop like thing through the Rocky Neck State Park and surrounding neighborhood. Its got some great views and is relatively flat for out here. Going to take some serious time off now to let the knee heal up. Have great shoes that have been custom fit as well as inserts and everything I got from a specialty running store months ago and am on my 2nd pair, the shoes I don't think are the problem. My problem is that I was sooooo outta shape when I started prepping for the Tough Mudder and 1/2 that I probably just over did it as I keep thinking I am a 21 yr old in shape and I am nothing close to that, albeit much closer today than 7 months ago. Anyways, its been fun and a great learning experience and I am looking forward to next outside season to have some more fun.
What kind of shoes did you buy?

Also, use this plan for you next half.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

bears12th

Liked Posts:
I have the Saucony Guide 5 is what I think they are called. I posted a pic of them earlier in this thread I believe. I read the book you recommended earlier too, run stronger, faster, blah blah blah. Liked it. Lived by it for a while, but my problem was in the training for two different events of different needs at the same time. I was just looking for a challenge and something to strive for when I started this journey seven months ago. I am not out to set records and I have done just that. IF, and that is a big if, I am interested in doing another half, or, gulp, a full marathon sometime, I will only be training for that single event in the future. That way I can truly stick to one plan and really strive for one goal rather than, "just getting healthy with some fun events" which is what I intended to do this year. Complete success in my book except for the bad knees part, but when you cram. . . well. . . you get hurt. Oh well, learn and live baby.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
maybe its Glide 5. Crap I can't remember and I am not getting up to go look. Sorry.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
20140-2_1_700x700.jpg

Just got these yesterday with some custom formed insoles. Looking forward to trying em out, but am sick as heel (ha) with a cold. Will try em out next week I guess.

Here you go FT, gone through 2 pairs of these in four months.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have the Saucony Guide 5 is what I think they are called. I posted a pic of them earlier in this thread I believe. I read the book you recommended earlier too, run stronger, faster, blah blah blah. Liked it. Lived by it for a while, but my problem was in the training for two different events of different needs at the same time. I was just looking for a challenge and something to strive for when I started this journey seven months ago. I am not out to set records and I have done just that. IF, and that is a big if, I am interested in doing another half, or, gulp, a full marathon sometime, I will only be training for that single event in the future. That way I can truly stick to one plan and really strive for one goal rather than, "just getting healthy with some fun events" which is what I intended to do this year. Complete success in my book except for the bad knees part, but when you cram. . . well. . . you get hurt. Oh well, learn and live baby.

Here you go FT, gone through 2 pairs of these in four months.

Buy different shoes.

You should be getting around 250-400 miles out of a pair of shoes. I trained for a full marathon and went through one pair of shoes in 6 months.

f those shoes are wearing out that fast they are pieces of shit. Just sayin'

Also, by running 3 days a week on that plan, you'll be more fit than you would be running for 6 days a week and having three days of absolute junk mileage in there.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Buy different shoes.

You should be getting around 250-400 miles out of a pair of shoes. I trained for a full marathon and went through one pair of shoes in 6 months.

f those shoes are wearing out that fast they are pieces of shit. Just sayin'

Also, by running 3 days a week on that plan, you'll be more fit than you would be running for 6 days a week and having three days of absolute junk mileage in there.

Unless they were cheap, I'd be pissed if I was only getting 250 out of my shoes. I just bought a pair of Brooks Adrenalins and the running shop said I should get around 400-500.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless they were cheap, I'd be pissed if I was only getting 250 out of my shoes. I just bought a pair of Brooks Adrenalins and the running shop said I should get around 400-500.
Depends on the model of the shoe, frequency of work outs etc. A heavier more cushioned shoe is going to get more mileage out of it than a Nike Free. If you run every day the shoe will break down faster(regardless of mileage), your weight plays into it. There's some other factors as well. Some shoes have a general guidelines for mileage but a lot of independent factors go into it. The shoes I currently have I know some people have gotten 400 miles out of them running 8-15 miles a day, every day. I run a little less about 3-4 days a week. I might get 500 or so out of them but we will see. 250 is on the low end, but I know Nike's wear out fast, especially their new minimalist stuff.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Done with my race schedule for the year. 5 races.(2 5k's, 2 half marathons, and a 7 mile race) 3 PR's(In both half marathons and in the 7 miler)

Last edited:

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone run in an Asics running shoe that is wide width?

If not Asics, what do you think is the best wide width running shoe? I have flat feet - NO arch.

Any thoughts FT?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I love Saucony for one reason, and one reason only. They have had 7-8 different shoes that don't hurt my feet(flat/wide). And it's not like I didn't dump in thousands over the years trying to find something. As for mileage, I'll agree, some Saucony's are terribly over-rated, and mileage is not the strong point. I wear classic Jazz every day just for my regular activities. Considering that they are retro's, they're respectable for running too(I have at least 800 miles on my running pair.) But that's just me. Someone else can come in, say the exact opposite, rave about something that kills my feet, while having the same issue. Like Asics. They were always good for the first few weeks, then OUCH, I couldn't even walk with them afterwards. My workout buddy has the same problem, swears by Asic Oracles. There is no way I could wear those for more than an hour. :shrug:

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh god damn it. It lives! :cmonman:

STFU...I'm serious, I am looking for a good running shoe in WIDE. After some searching, I've found that Asics, Saucony, and New Balance are my best bet for a wide shoe - Nike is slim pickings.

Any advice FT?

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
STFU...I'm serious, I am looking for a good running shoe in WIDE. After some searching, I've found that Asics, Saucony, and New Balance are my best bet for a wide shoe - Nike is slim pickings.

Any advice FT?

“Are you in a fraternity? Are you Steve Jobs, the billionaire CEO of Apple Computers? No? Then you have no excuse to wear New Balance shoes. Ever.”

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Any advice FT?

Calm down bro it wasn't a joke aimed at you, it was a joke aimed at the maliciousness that was witnessed in this thread when it was active. As for your question I know FT is an advocate of Asics, I also like them, and would also put in a recommendation for Saucony myself.

Happy Running!

Status
Not open for further replies.