Ryan Lawlor lands Minor League Deal with Chicago Cubs

Sammich

Liked Posts:
SAVANNAH, Ga. —

Former Calvary Day and University of Georgia standout Ryan Lawlor continues to pursue his Major League Baseball dreams.

The Chicago Cubs have signed the left-handed pitcher to a minor league deal Sunday night.

Lawlor is headed to South Bend, Indiana to join the Cubs Class A affiliate in the Midwest League. Lawlor has been pitching for the Normal CornBelters of the Frontier League.

"I'm ecstatic about getting another chance," said Lawlor.

Lawlor was cut by the Atlanta Braves back in March after advancing to the clubs High A affiliate in Rome.

He was selected in the 8th round of the 2015 MLB Draft by the Braves.

Lawlor played collegiate baseball at Middle Georgia State before transferring to the University of Georgia.

-Frank Sulkowski

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Read something about him on bleachernation a week or two ago when he signed. He's mildly interesting all things considered. He has 130:57 K/bb rate over 120.1 IP. That's a 9.72 k/9 and 4.26 bb/9. Wasn't giving up many homers either thanks to his above MLB average of 45% GB rate. He was a starter with Atlanta but I'm curious if they use him out of the bullpen. I believe BN said he got hurt which is why he got cut but my guess is that 4.26 bb/9 probably wasn't helping matters. That's more reliever numbers.