Ryan Pace is the best GM we've had since Jerry V

jive

Liked Posts:
Since it's the offseason, I've been doing some analysis and found that Ryan Pace is the best GM in terms of draft picks since Jerry Vanisi. What I did was count the number of draft picks made by each GM and determine how many exceptional players were picked by them as well as solid contributors. I defined an exceptional player as one who made All Pro, All Rookie, or stats worthy of either. How I defined a solid contributor was a combination of number of games played and stats, as well as whether they provided some value in trade. Exceptional players were included in the contributor category. Since Tobin and Vanisi had more rounds of drafts than the others, I just chose the first 8 rounds of picks for them. Here's the breakdown:

Ryan Pace (27 draft picks): 9 exceptional (33%) and 17 contributors (63%)
Notable picks: Roquan Smith, MitchellTrubisky, Eddie Jackson, Tarik Cohen, Cody Whitehair, Jordan Howard, Eddie Goldman, Leonard Floyd, Adrian Amos

Phil Emery (20 draft picks): 4 exceptional (20%) and 7 contributors (35%)
Notable picks: Kyle Fuller, Charles Leno, Kyle Long, Alshon Jeffery

Jerry Angelo (82 draft picks): 14 exceptional (17%) and 38 contributors (46%)
Notable picks: Henry Melton, Matt Forte, Greg Olsen, Corey Graham, Devin Hester, Mark Anderson, Tommie Harris, Nathan Vasher, Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Anthony Thomas, Chris Harris, Danieal Manning

Mark Hatley (40 draft picks): 7 exceptional (18%) and 14 contributors (35%) Includes one HOFer
Notable Picks: Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown, Marty Booker, Jerry Azumah, Olin Kreutz, Tony Parrish, Paul Edinger

Ron Graves (30 draft picks): 3 exceptional (10%) and 11 contributors (37%)
Notable picks: Walt Harris, Todd Sauerbrun, Curtis Conway

Bill Tobin (55 draft picks): 6 exceptional (11%) and 20 contributors (36%)
Notable picks: Mark Carrier, Donnell Woolford, Trace Armstrong, Jim Harbaugh, Jerry Fontenot, John Roper

Jerry Vanisi (20 picks): 4 exceptional (20%) and 10 contributors (50%)
Notable picks: Neal Anderson, Kevin Butler, Wilber Marshall, Shaun Gayle
*Corrected once I was reminded that Vanisi came in after the 83 draft*

I understand that these are not all on the GM, and that the head coach has influence on these picks. Ditka and Wannstedt were especially heavy handed in the draft and it showed in their horrible rates of finding great players. I truly believe that Wannstedt was instrumental in the Bears collapse in the 90s that took us years to recover from. Also, the rate of contributors for Pace is a little skewed as those players have not played as many games as other players that I counted as contributors in previous eras. That rate could drop since many contributors have played less than 3 seasons, and could fizzle out like many in the NFL do. However, when you look at the number of All Pro or All Rookie players that Pace has selected, only Vanisi exceeds him and no-one else comes close in percentage.

The main reason the Bears had success in the late 80s is because of the players that were drafted by Vanisi and Finks, not because of Tobin. The poor drafting during the Tobin era fueled the collapse of the Beloved in the 90s that Wanny threw a match on and played his fiddle while the Chi burned. The low number of draft picks that were solid contributors during the 90s, along with poor trades and free agent signings during that time as well, made for a painful downward spiral to experience. It's like watching your best friend forced to go shop lift tampons for his old lady, only to get busted by the cops and sent to prison and sold to Big Nate for a pack of Marlboros. We were crappy for a decade. Slick Jerry lasted a long time considering his mediocrity, but he was much better than his predecessors in selecting good players and players that could stick around. Heck, we even managed to get a Superbowl team together during that span. But, a string of bad drafts, and Jerry had to go bye-bye. In comes Emery who reverts to pre-Angelo ways. But at least he didn't last that long.

From a statistical standpoint, I think Pace is doing a good job. His first draft was iffy, but he was much better the following years. If you take away his first draft, Pace still has a 33% rate on exceptional players, and a whopping 71% on solid contributors. I hope he continues to improve, but hitting on 2/3rds of your draft picks is better than 1/3 during the Bears' Dark Ages. Although we had to endure 3 awful seasons of losing football, Pace quietly assembled a great team. Even though the record didn't show it during those years, he was getting players that were exceptional and were solid contributors. We just needed a coach and a scheme for them, and it was proven when the Bears went from cellar dweller to division winner in 2018.

Aside from just the draft, Pace has done a better job in free agency. I won't recount the numerous terrible trades and free agent busts from the Wannstedt era because it's too painful. It was awful. Interestingly, aside from Steve McMichael, we didn't have that many free agents that were starters until after Tobin. Angelo was certainly an improvement over his recent predecessors, but still mediocre IMO. I'll have to check that out another day. Aside from Pace's first year, his free agent and trade splashes have been pretty good. We have 1 pro bowler from FA, 1 pro bowler from a trade, and 4 solid starters.

At this point, I'm willing to give Pace the benefit of the doubt. He's shown that he can marshall talent at a higher clip than his predecessors.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great effort on this post. Admittedly it was pretty long and at this hour I cruised through it.

Rather than going decades back into differing eras, I'd love to see same/similar measures compared to the recent/current league GMs.
Why? - - Seems the shrinking but still loud group of remaining meatball Bears fans who hammer on Pace expect absolute perfection.

I've been a strong supporter of Pace from the beginning yet do admit he's made mistakes. Dude's not perfect, but the shit he's taken at every turn until last years wins piled up was simply dumb ass media/fans being dumb despite logic to support most moves. And they did pay off!

I still bear resentment to many of those meatball blowhards who were nothing but Negative Nancy salt in the wound during the shitty rebuild years. If up to them, Bears would've won a few more games, be in cap hell hiring/keeping overpriced guys, & would've been stuck drafting mid-round in mediocrity with no plan like the Bulls.

Nice to see a logical OP prove some perspect otherwise with effort at objectivity > dumbass opinion & angry flaming. #OmmysTrollinAss

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for rehashing some of the dark days in Bears history of sorry Gm's. Solid post, obviously gives us some hope for continuing Bear Improvement.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You failed to mention the great GM wannabe... Swetty Teddy. He meddled for years, Rod Graves was director of player personel(not GM) in the 90's. Bears didn't want to yield any control to a GM, so they didn't have one.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
In before Novak informs you of Pace’s record.

Hatley did get 54 and Brown but really whiffed on the chance to bring other great players here. Cade McNown was worse than a plague of locusts!

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In before Novak informs you of Pace’s record.

Hatley did get 54 and Brown but really whiffed on the chance to bring other great players here. Cade McNown was worse than a plague of locusts!
There's a story that at the last second Hatley was forced by Teddy or M. McCaskey to change his pick and take David Terell. Ouch

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not sure that a record during any re-build is really relevant. I think the thing is, once you have completed or nearly completed the re-build, how long you stay in contention. So the Bears are just at the beginning.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How would have things been different if Teddy was never part of this team all these years?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not saying this as a slight of Pace, he has been very good.

But the Bears were poorly run for 30 years outside of a couple good drafts by Jerry angelo that led to the 2006 SB, but could not sustain anything.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Kind of strange to equate All Pro with All Rookie. That makes the rating system questionable from the start. Lots of scrubs make All Rookie teams just because they need to fill positional spots.

I assume the "notable picks" are the players that fulfill the "exceptional" criteria...but I could be wrong, because I see Mitchell Trubisky listed and he didn't make an All Rookie team or an All Pro team. I guess Leonard Floyd and Cody Whitehair made All Rookie teams, but to say either of those guys are 'exceptional' is ridiculous. If Leonard Floyd is an example of Ryan Pace's great drafting, then we can just chalk this up as biased 'analysis' and give an 'attaboy' to Ryan Pace.

One huge difference between Bill Tobin and Ryan Pace is that aside from 1990, Tobin was always drafting either in the middle or at the end of rounds. Pace has always been drafting in the Top10. I'm not saying Tobin had great drafts...Pace has been much better as Tobin's mid round picks were absolute garbage...but it is a bit more difficult when you aren't drafting high every year.

I would rate Pace below Vanisi and Angelo right now, which isn't really a knock on Pace, and I could see Pace surpassing both of those guys in the future. He has really improved his drafts the last two years, but this is the first draft where Pace isn't picking in the Top10, so we will see if Pace can sustain success. Bill Tobin had a good record for the most part...11-4, 12-4, 6-10, 11-5, 11-5, 5-11. 4 double-digit win seasons in 6 years....Pace has had 1 in 4.

The 'percentage of All Pro/All Rookie players' for Pace is somewhat ridiculous. From what I see, in 4 drafts with a Top10 draft position, Pace has generated 1 season of All Pro play from a positional player...Eddie Jackson's 2018 season at Safety. Cohen made All Pro as a returner, which is nice, but I don't view ST All Pros to be the same level as positional player All Pros. By comparison, in the last 4 drafts by the terrible Cardinals, whose only top10 pick in this time was Josh Rosen at #10, have produced a positional player All Pro in David Johnson and a ST All Pro in Budda Baker.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is still too early to pass judgement on some of these draft picks.

I’d say there is promise, but you really need 3 years in the league before a formed opinion holds water on a player.

Floyd is actually a bit of a disappointment to be honest. He is a borderline player at a position of need. If he were a third or even second rounder I’d say he brings value based on draft slot.

But at the end of the day a GM is paid to bring wins/playoff. Pace has a bit to go, but as I said there is promise.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I still bear resentment to many of those meatball blowhards who were nothing but Negative Nancy salt in the wound during the shitty rebuild years. If up to them, Bears would've won a few more games

So you resent Bear fans who want their team to win games....classic CCS.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How can you possibly pass Roquan off as "exceptional"... He's been in the league ONE (1) season, and could be anything, its not like he particularly "stood out" last year. The defense was exceptional, he just kind of existed. He could be exceptional, but the jury is still out. I guess anything is possible on CCS, tho... We've already penciled Montgomery in for 1200 yds and 13 TDs, might as well throw him in the "exceptional" category as well.

Trubisky exceptional? Floyd exceptional? Your criteria kind of sucks, but lets go with it. "I defined an exceptional player as one who made All Pro, All Rookie, or stats worthy of either. " Trubs and Floyd did none of these.

In before CCS calls me a troll for simply pointing out the obvious.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How can you possibly pass Roquan off as "exceptional"... He's been in the league ONE (1) season, and could be anything, its not like he particularly "stood out" last year. The defense was exceptional, he just kind of existed. He could be exceptional, but the jury is still out. I guess anything is possible on CCS, tho... We've already penciled Montgomery in for 1200 yds and 13 TDs, might as well throw him in the "exceptional" category as well.

Trubisky exceptional? Floyd exceptional? Your criteria kind of sucks, but lets go with it. "I defined an exceptional player as one who made All Pro, All Rookie, or stats worthy of either. " Trubs and Floyd did none of these.

Agree on Trubisky and Floyd.

But Roquan was exceptional last season. He would have been in very serious consideration for defensive rookie of the year if Leonard had not put up the crazy numbers he did on a defense that was lacking other playmakers.

14 starts-121 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 INT and another in the playoffs is elite production on a defense that had other guys making plays.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Its funny that we can have shifting, subjective criteria for judging draft success...but God forbid someone actually mention Pace's Win/Loss record.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its funny that we can have shifting, subjective criteria for judging draft success...but God forbid someone actually mention Pace's Win/Loss record.
I mentioned it once in a relative discussion, @playthrough2001 still brings it up. It's as if he thinks i'm the one that caused Pace to lose games for 3 years straight, its really bizarre.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
But Roquan was exceptional last season. He would have been in very serious consideration for defensive rookie of the year if Leonard had not put up the crazy numbers he did on a defense that was lacking other playmakers.

Smith received exactly 0 votes for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Very serious consideration, tho.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Exceptional Picks

Goldman
Roquan
Jackson
Cohen

Very Good

Howard
Amos
Whitehair
Daniels
Miller
Nichols
Callahan
RRH
Meredith, before someone loses their shit here the dude mangled his knee and still had a team give him 5 million guaranteed and 9 million for 2 years.

Solid

Floyd
Trubisky

Meh

Bullard
Kwit
Bush
DHC

Ass

White
Grasu
Shaheen
Morgan

*I know it is early on last years class, but all we can assess is what they have done and Daniels may well be an exceptional pick before it is all said and done and Miller and Nichols both look like productive NFL starters.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Smith received exactly 0 votes for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Very serious consideration, tho.

As I said if Leonard had not run away with it he would have been seriously considered.

82% of voters picked Mahomes as the MVP, doesn't mean the other guys on the list did not have exceptional seasons.