Ryan Pace is the best GM we've had since Jerry V

jive

Liked Posts:
I think that Pace has been learning from his mistakes, and he's been improving each year.
I get the feeling that he's haunted by the 2015 draft. I think he really wanted Mariota or someone picked higher than White. Maybe it was someone in a later round, I'm not sure. But, I don't think it's a coincidence that he traded up to get a QB with similar traits in 2017. Anyway, Pace didn't trade up or trade down in that draft. He was probably taking whoever fell to him, and has regrets over it. I would too, if I had 4 of 6 picks bust and only one is still on the team. Thus, he got more aggressive in every draft after that. He is a scout at heart, and went back to what got him there. Now, I think he's more focused in targeting specific players and doing what he can to make sure they are on the roster after the draft. He's getting at least 3 high snaps players per draft since his debacle in 2015. In 2016 he drafted Floyd, Howard and Whitehair. In 2017 he drafted Trubisky, Cohen, and Jackson. For 2018 it's Smith, Daniels, and Miller and possibly Nichols depending on training camp.

If we get 3 solid contributors out of this draft like the last 3 drafts, this will be a scary team.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I think that Pace has been learning from his mistakes, and he's been improving each year.
I get the feeling that he's haunted by the 2015 draft. I think he really wanted Mariota or someone picked higher than White. Maybe it was someone in a later round, I'm not sure. But, I don't think it's a coincidence that he traded up to get a QB with similar traits in 2017. Anyway, Pace didn't trade up or trade down in that draft. He was probably taking whoever fell to him, and has regrets over it. I would too, if I had 4 of 6 picks bust and only one is still on the team. Thus, he got more aggressive in every draft after that. He is a scout at heart, and went back to what got him there. Now, I think he's more focused in targeting specific players and doing what he can to make sure they are on the roster after the draft. He's getting at least 3 high snaps players per draft since his debacle in 2015. In 2016 he drafted Floyd, Howard and Whitehair. In 2017 he drafted Trubisky, Cohen, and Jackson. For 2018 it's Smith, Daniels, and Miller and possibly Nichols depending on training camp.

If we get 3 solid contributors out of this draft like the last 3 drafts, this will be a scary team.
he traded up for trubs when he didn't need to. If he hadn't traded up he might have gotten trubisky w/o giving up valuable mid round picks. Worst case scenario he ends up with mahomes or watson who are both better than trubisky anyway.

jive

Liked Posts:
he traded up for trubs when he didn't need to. If he hadn't traded up he might have gotten trubisky w/o giving up valuable mid round picks. Worst case scenario he ends up with mahomes or watson who are both better than trubisky anyway.
I've said in the this thread that I was not a fan of the move. Yelled at the screen when it happened, and was pissed off for days.
But I can forgive him because 3 of his 5 draft picks in 2017 were playing football in Hawaii by their second year. No GM in my lifetime accomplished that. Not even Jim Finks, whose legendary 83 draft that had 5 All Pros. Those guys didn't get there until their 3rd year.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I've said in the this thread that I was not a fan of the move. Yelled at the screen when it happened, and was pissed off for days.
But I can forgive him because 3 of his 5 draft picks in 2017 were playing football in Hawaii by their second year. No GM in my lifetime accomplished that. Not even Jim Finks, whose legendary 83 draft that had 5 All Pros. Those guys didn't get there until their 3rd year.
You might be able to look past it, but I think what he did was unforgivable. He traded up for a so so qb instead of staying put and drafting a guy with a record setting rookie season or a guy who chucked 50 tds in his second year.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Who cares? One guy made the pro bowl as a special teamer, one guy made it as third alternate. Finks 83 draft produced 7 guys who almost immediately upgraded the starting lineup. Dent and Bortz in the 8th round is more impressive to me as Jackson/Cohen in the 4th.

jive

Liked Posts:
Who cares? One guy made the pro bowl as a special teamer, one guy made it as third alternate. Finks 83 draft produced 7 guys who almost immediately upgraded the starting lineup. Dent and Bortz in the 8th round is more impressive to me as Jackson/Cohen in the 4th.
And like Fink's 1983 draft, Pace's 2017 draft helped propel the the Bears into the playoffs the following year.
I'm not saying the 2017 draft class is anywhere as good as 1983. The 83 class was elite, and it would be hard for any GM to replicate that. But, I don't think the Bears would have been as effective in 2018 without Trubisky, Jackson, and Cohen.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
c3290585bb7245d6ea6cf7fb94e572b9.jpg

And we've seen both.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I believe the percentage of picks who become contributors is the most important stat. I would like to see a breakdown of contributors after the second round. (If someone already has, please point me to it) Teams have a limited number of picks and money to spend so later round picks need to flesh out the roster. This is a team game and not everyone can be a star so later round picks can be invaluable. Seattle did this a few years ago and it took them to a Super Bowl. It seems to me that Pace is doing a very good job in the later rounds as well which bodes well for the future.