Schefter just said robbie refusing to sign with 9ers.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I said this might happen.

Pretty sure a fan a few months ago ran into robbie and robbie told him he hasn't signed anything yet. I fully expect good guy robbie to sign before camp starts, but if he holds out there is a chance that San Fran rescinds the tag.
What is the benefit to SF of rescinding the tag?
Don’t they have him over a barrel? He can’t do anything but sit unpaid if he doesn’t sign/play. Or am I misreading this?

Or they can trade him. So why rescind and set him free?

Either way, as a Bears fan I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Robbie is not getting any younger and he’s not getting better

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Don’t they have him over a barrel? He can’t do anything but sit unpaid if he doesn’t sign/play. Or am I misreading this?

Either way, as a Bears fan I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Robbie is not getting any younger and he’s not getting better
IF he's willing and ready to sit out the year or even possibly retire, SF really has no leverage on him.

I have no idea if he's willing to take it that far though. That would mean it's Chicago or retire for him...

jonimus

Liked Posts:
If you retire, how long do you have to wait to "unretire?" And, are you then "free?" Or still tied to the rights prior to retiring? Asking for "a" friend.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If you retire, how long do you have to wait to "unretire?" And, are you then "free?" Or still tied to the rights prior to retiring? Asking for "a" friend.

They have his rights until they cut him or trade him, there is no reason to cut him other than being nice, then the fans turn on you for being a pussy. Some of the 9er fans are thinking about getting a 2nd round pick, well the Bears don't have one of those and even if they did, fuck you he's a kicker. It's good to see other teams have idiotic fans posting on their message board.

Guys here saying a 7th in 2020, I don't think that will get it done, if the Bears really want him give SF a 6th in 2020 so lynch can save some face.

A second rounder for a 36 year old kicker, they're even worse than our meatballs. I'm not sure he is worth a 6th, but if that's the way Pace wants to go, I won't bitch, until Gould misses a game winner.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears just signed a kicker. This just unnecessarily complicates things. The 49ers can rescind his tag the day before the season starts, which puts the Bears in the same situation, if they wait for Robbie to become available. If they're smart, they won't even entertain this idea. I like Robbie, I like what he did for the team, but this seems a bad route to go.

The kickers the Bears signed are nobodies.

"The 49ers can rescind his tag the day before the season starts, which puts the Bears in the same situation"

You lost me on this one. Why would SF let him go for nothing, the fans would freakout at a weak ass move like that. How exactly would the Bears signing a FA put them in 'the same situation' as a team with a kicker demanding a trade?

If Gould forces Lynch to find another kicker why would Lynch do anything to help Gould?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Everybody hates Lyyynnnccchhh

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It wouldn’t take more than a sixth to get a kicker, not even Robbie Gould. The question is, does Pace even want him? I want him. But I’m not Pace.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wouldn’t take more than a sixth to get a kicker, not even Robbie Gould. The question is, does Pace even want him? I want him. But I’m not Pace.

I think it would be cool. For about a week like when Kerry Wood came back to the Cubs.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Retiring to Chicago is a lot different than retiring in Chicago.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It'd be nice if the Bears could trade the pick they go for Howard and get Gould (probably wishful thinking). But if that happens, we can just look at it as trading Howard for Gould, which would be a much better trade IMO than Howard for a conditional 6th.
i totally agree with this, might as well since it only next years pick. We need players/picks now.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Or don't give up any picks
some people are still mad?\
fff.gif

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Not mad just don't see a point in giving up any picks and/or players

I mean the point would be to not be in a situation where our no-name kickers are relied upon to decide if we move on in the playoffs or not. I don't have a lot of faith in just sending scrubs in there and hope one of them turns out better than Gould would be. I wouldn't trade anything higher than a 5th rounder, but there is value in bringing Gould back to Chicago if that's the route the Bears take.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean the point would be to not be in a situation where our no-name kickers are relied upon to decide if we move on in the playoffs or not. I don't have a lot of faith in just sending scrubs in there and hope one of them turns out better than Gould would be. I wouldn't trade anything higher than a 5th rounder, but there is value in bringing Gould back to Chicago if that's the route the Bears take.

Gould is refusing to sign with the Bears....and if reddit users are correct Gould wants to come back to Chicago. So why would the Bears send anything over to SF when they can wait and get him for free?

That doesn't even touch on the fact that it is plain stupid to trade for a kicker.

Bort

Liked Posts:

This is an example of why franchise tagging a kicker is stupid. If Gould sits out, the 49ers would have to sign another kicker and use up 2 roster spots on kickers, which would be kind of hilarious. They'd have to cut some promising young player and hope he clears waivers to get on the practice squad just so they could carry 2 kickers.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is an example of why franchise tagging a kicker is stupid. If Gould sits out, the 49ers would have to sign another kicker and use up 2 roster spots on kickers, which would be kind of hilarious. They'd have to cut some promising young player and hope he clears waivers to get on the practice squad just so they could carry 2 kickers.

If Gould doesn't sign a contract he isn't on the roster. It costs SF nothing to hold his rights and make him miss 2019 unpaid.

Again the only reason to cut him is to do him a favor and be nice. Why would Lynch want to do Gould a favor, Lynch would become a hated man for caving to a kicker, literally nothing to gain. Anyone waiting for SF to cut Gould is a chump.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Not mad just don't see a point in giving up any picks and/or players
with how the playoffs and superbowl went last year we where a kicker away from be a realistic superbowl winning team.

So if we can get he 2nd most accurate kicker last year for a pick that more then likely will at best be a practice squad player.. you make that trade.

Lots of big contracts coming up.. its win now mode

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If Gould doesn't sign a contract he isn't on the roster. It costs SF nothing to hold his rights and make him miss 2019 unpaid.

Again the only reason to cut him is to do him a favor and be nice. Why would Lynch want to do Gould a favor, Lynch would become a hated man for caving to a kicker, literally nothing to gain. Anyone waiting for SF to cut Gould is a chump.
I was reading some Vick Ashley posts about this very concern on one of the Niners forums he posts on before they got deleted. He brought up the idea that Robbie could very well sign the tag and report, but then shank his kicks until Lynch gives in and trades him to the Bears. If Lynch wants to play hardball, it might end up costing him some games.