Schefter just said robbie refusing to sign with 9ers.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
with how the playoffs and superbowl went last year we where a kicker away from be a realistic superbowl winning team.

So if we can get he 2nd most accurate kicker last year for a pick that more then likely will at best be a practice squad player.. you make that trade.

Lots of big contracts coming up.. its win now mode

There were plenty of missed opportunities in that Philly game that did not involve the kicker, Parkey was the last opportunity to put the game away so fans only remember that and not the multiple blown coverages by the defense that allowed Philly to take the lead...I have said many times kicker needs to be replaced, but trading anything for a kicker is stupid.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
There were plenty of missed opportunities in that Philly game that did not involve the kicker, Parkey was the last opportunity to put the game away so fans only remember that and not the multiple blown coverages by the defense that allowed Philly to take the lead...I have said many times kicker needs to be replaced, but trading anything for a kicker is stupid.

Also, Patrick Scales didn't have his best stuff against the Eagles.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I was reading some Vick Ashley posts about this very concern on one of the Niners forums he posts on before they got deleted. He brought up the idea that Robbie could very well sign the tag and report, but then shank his kicks until Lynch gives in and trades him to the Bears. If Lynch wants to play hardball, it might end up costing him some games.
That would be hysterical, I'd pay to see it. It would make Gould untouchable in the NFL, but it would also be fun to watch.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Id love to see Gould back like most, but...the sec he misses a kick, this boards gonna go full fuckin Special person on him!

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Id love to see Gould back like most, but...the sec he misses a kick, this boards gonna go full fuckin Special person on him!

A Gould double doink would cause mass dick rippage.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Gould is refusing to sign with the Bears....and if reddit users are correct Gould wants to come back to Chicago. So why would the Bears send anything over to SF when they can wait and get him for free?

That doesn't even touch on the fact that it is plain stupid to trade for a kicker.

I'm not really trying to debate if it's the right move for Chicago to trade for Gould. All I was answering was your question of what is the point? And the point would be that the current roster of Bears kickers are no-names and has-beens/shlubs. If you feel comfortable sending them out like in the situation against the Eagles, then that's fine. But if you do see that as an issue, then you pull the trigger and get a significant upgrade for the position.

But I don't get why you think it's plain stupid to trade for a kicker. Absolutes like that make no sense because there's always situations where trading for a kicker is the best option, this being potentially one of them. I don't know if this current situation is the best solution, but it's also stupid to say that trading for a kicker is always dumb.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
The dude was a loud mouth that pissed off the management. Just find a new, cheaper, kicker. Unsure this new Bears team needs his loud voice in the locker room.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
The dude was a loud mouth that pissed off the management. Just find a new, cheaper, kicker. Unsure this new Bears team needs his loud voice in the locker room.

TBF, he was the player representative and that was his responsibility.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don’t think so.... he is going to miss a kick or 3 this year. Guaranteed

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

I agree there was plenty of missed opportunities, But Parky was terrible all year. If you can fix that position and only use a 7th rounder then its kind of a no brainier.

You use draft picks to make your team better.. if we trade our 7th rounder for Gould that is a guaranteed better team. If you use the draft pick to draft a player then there is a 95.5% FAILURE rate in the 7th round.

So a guaranteed improvement in Gould vs a 4.5% chance in the drafted player even being on the team let alone being a starter..

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ageed...Gould is like the Antonio Brown of kickers!

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree there was plenty of missed opportunities, But Parky was terrible all year. If you can fix that position and only use a 7th rounder then its kind of a no brainier.

You use draft picks to make your team better.. if we trade our 7th rounder for Gould that is a guaranteed better team. If you use the draft pick to draft a player then there is a 95.5% FAILURE rate in the 7th round.

So a guaranteed improvement in Gould vs a 4.5% chance in the drafted player even being on the team let alone being a starter..

Sorry but kickers are not worth trading for because you can literally find them off the street. Of the top 10 kickers last year (based on FG made) only two of them were drafted. The rest were UDFA. So what is the point of trading away a draft pick for a position you can fill through FA? Gould is good, I liked Gould when he was a Bear and would be fine for him to return...just not through trading anything for him. Gould likely will be released and the Bears can scoop him up then. If not so what, finding a kicker through FA is the best option...or use that 7th round pick on a kicker, will be a whole lot cheaper than paying Gould and there could be a decent chance it works out. No matter how you cut it, it is just plain stupid to trade for a kicker.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not really trying to debate if it's the right move for Chicago to trade for Gould. All I was answering was your question of what is the point? And the point would be that the current roster of Bears kickers are no-names and has-beens/shlubs. If you feel comfortable sending them out like in the situation against the Eagles, then that's fine. But if you do see that as an issue, then you pull the trigger and get a significant upgrade for the position.

But I don't get why you think it's plain stupid to trade for a kicker. Absolutes like that make no sense because there's always situations where trading for a kicker is the best option, this being potentially one of them. I don't know if this current situation is the best solution, but it's also stupid to say that trading for a kicker is always dumb.

It is stupid to trade for a kicker...could it work out, sure. But it is still stupid to trade for a kicker. The only reason why anyone is getting worked up over this is because it is Gould. Any other kicker and everyone would be saying the same thing as me...don't trade for a kicker.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Sorry but kickers are not worth trading for because you can literally find them off the street. Of the top 10 kickers last year (based on FG made) only two of them were drafted. The rest were UDFA. So what is the point of trading away a draft pick for a position you can fill through FA? Gould is good, I liked Gould when he was a Bear and would be fine for him to return...just not through trading anything for him. Gould likely will be released and the Bears can scoop him up then. If not so what, finding a kicker through FA is the best option...or use that 7th round pick on a kicker, will be a whole lot cheaper than paying Gould and there could be a decent chance it works out. No matter how you cut it, it is just plain stupid to trade for a kicker.

The point is you are using a virtually useless pick to all but GUARANTEE success at the position.
I get it, you would rather have a practice squad player that will be out of the league in 3 years and roll the dice on another UFDA kicker and hope he doesn't cost you a playoff game.. I say who the hell cares about a practice squad player.. lets get the 2nd most accurate kicker so we dont end up wasting a Superbowl caliber D..

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
The point is you are using a virtually useless pick to all but GUARANTEE success at the position.
I get it, you would rather have a practice squad player that will be out of the league in 3 years and roll the dice on another UFDA kicker and hope he doesn't cost you a playoff game.. I say who the hell cares about a practice squad player.. lets get the 2nd most accurate kicker so we dont end up wasting a Superbowl caliber D..
People forget how bad Robbie was his last couple years here, blame it on Emery/Trestman all you want. It still happened. There is no GUARANTEED success,

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
People forget how bad Robbie was his last couple years here, blame it on Emery/Trestman all you want. It still happened. There is no GUARANTEED success,
thats why I said "all but guaranteed"

And again there is a 95.5% failure rate of 7th round picks.. So unless you think there is a 95% chance Gould is going to be terrible next year its really a non issue giving up a garbage draft pick to get him..

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gould likely will be released and the Bears can scoop him up

Gould is forcing Lynch to find another kicker, why would Lynch do Gould a favor? SF doesn't have to cut him, just don't take the franchise tag off the table, no roster spot, doesn't cost anything, fans are happy, Lynch is fucking Gould over. No reason to remove the tag offer, nothing to gain.

I'm not advocating trading for Gould, I've already said if Pace really wants him, okay, if not that's fine.

If I recall correctly I was the only one pissed at Pace for only having one kicker in camp. The only position with one roster spot. Yeah, I know, because of Parky's contract no one was going to beat him out, not the point. The Bears would have been familiar with at least one other K in case of injury of Parky sucking. If they had another guy they knew was good maybe Pace pulls the trigger before Philly.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
How bad was he? Pretty much 84% minimum every year in the league except one year he only had 12 kicks and was 75% and in his rookie year he was like 77%...he was always one of the best and shouldn’t have been cut just because his play dropped SLIGHTLY. He’s was still better than most in the league. His last year in Chicago he was 7/9 from 50+. Look at his numbers since he’s left. Guarantee letting him go is a major regret of pace. I’ve always hated that move and made last years playoff loss harder for me.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Once again, all this talk about finding a kicker to be better than Parkey is pointless unless the staff that is evaluating kickers and training them is not upgraded.

The idea that Robbie is fixed, and if he came back he would be the answer is just stupid. Remember Robbie was not brought back initially because of his PERFORMANCE, Parkey was let go because he went from being a ProBowler to being the worst kicker in the league, there appears to be a theme here....

Is Chicago where kickers go to die? I mean there are some tough conditions (wind, cold, ect...) and the Bears have no one working with the kickers, they are just expected to figure it out for themselves when they go into a slump. Sorry but does this sound like the way a professional football team should be run.....

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The Bears already have a cap hit from Parkey's contract this year, they trade even a 7th rounder for Gould then they will have to pay him what another $3-4M/year? So yes I would much rather hold onto that 7th round pick and use it on a kicker or PS player and use that $3-4M on a FA that will provide some depth or compete for a starting job. You keep claiming that Gould will guarantee success at the position, are you implying that an UDFA will not be successful? If so, I can list out current kickers who were undrafted or drafted in the 7th round that are very successful...one of them being Gould. Again the only reason anyone has a hardon for trading for Gould is because he is a former Bear, any other kicker and no one would be suggesting trading anything.