Schwarber is back!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've yet to see a single scouting report that doesn't think his bat will be special in time. I think we forget how young he is.

People have come down on his 25 home run potential. I know how young he is but I don't think he is untouchable. I think people forget how many great SS are on their way up. The position isn't going to be weak for long.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple things..

no guarantee price, cueto, etc .. accepts a cubs offer

Hamels money wise will cost just 23.5 for 3 yrs and 20 if they oick up the 4th yr option..
Compared to probably close to 30 for 5-7 yrs for other TOR

Dont forget they still will have to eventually pay Arrieta, so having that extra 7 + will help. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Hamels is turning 33. He has a lot of innings and 2 out of 3 years have not been Ace material. Thats a lot of money and assets.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hamels is turning 33. He has a lot of innings and 2 out of 3 years have not been Ace material. Thats a lot of money and assets.
He will be 32 in December. ..

Look id be fine with Price, Cueto, even Zimmerman ...

Im just saying if they spent a couple prospects on Hamels
Id be just as happy and not lose sleep over them trading a couple prospects for him..

Just for kicks here,..

I looked at the cubs upcoming payroll. ..

With a lineup of kids and team friendly deals, they could actually trade for Hamels contract and sign price in off season and still have a payroll under 150 or 140 for next couple years..

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Back for good!!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone worried about HGH?

That dino belly though. And something madden said. "if there is something like caring too much."

I just worry for the kid. Working his way to majors, the type that will do anything. He is hitting in that region where people start asking, but he just has the testosterone of a 20 year old kid.

Whatever, he is a little mongoloid for me to rule it out. The facial structures and body bulk has me concerned.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bryant, Russell and Schwarber are not getting traded. Plenty of stuff out there saying that those 3 are off limits and it puts the Cubs at a disadvantage right now in getting top tier talent. The best chip right now is Torres but most teams don't trade for A ball talent. They want something close to ready.

Now if Baez gets back next week and looks eligible to be traded he becomes the top trade asset that the Cubs have.

The biggest problem right now it they have too much depth. Schwarber has pretty much sealed himself on the team for the foreseeable future. Montero will be re-evaluated in 2 weeks with a thumb sprain. I see him back in 3 weeks. So that is when the log jam starts. Some one is getting moved to keep Schwarber's bat in the line up.

The most logical approach is to move Schwarber to LF. Let Cog's go.

Now if Baez peaks intrest this year you look into it. But the smart thing to do is let Castro's production dictate that. If he continues to slump and Baez is ready then cut Herrera and promote Baez. Move Castro to the bench and make the move with Russell to SS and Baez to 2B. Kick in the teeth for sure but Castro lost his spot and will end up trade goods in the off season. Now if he picks it up in the 2nd half that opens up Baez for trade goods.

It is the only logical choice here.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Kyle Schwarber is a Top 5 human ever born.

1) Moses - Parted the Red Sea.

2) Gandhi - Man of Peace.

3) Kyle Schwarber - Greek God.

4) Thomas Edison - Invented electricity.

5) Wright Bros - Invented airplanes.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
People have come down on his 25 home run potential. I know how young he is but I don't think he is untouchable. I think people forget how many great SS are on their way up. The position isn't going to be weak for long.

I've read some who believe he'd hit 30 if he bulked up and played 3B. I don't see why 20-25 HR's is unreasonable.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've read some who believe he'd hit 30 if he bulked up and played 3B. I don't see why 20-25 HR's is unreasonable.

Because they believe if he hits 25 homers then his average would be nowhere close to .300. They don't think he can do both.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Because they believe if he hits 25 homers then his average would be nowhere close to .300. They don't think he can do both.

Not what I've read but obviously opinions are like assholes.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I can look for it later. I want to say it was KLAW and another major scout.

Oh I'm not doubting you. Just saying what I read. Either way, Russell probably isn't as untouchable as you'd believe considering the A's did trade him. I tend to believe there are relatively few "untouchable" players it is just that the price point is too high for most to pay.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh I'm not doubting you. Just saying what I read. Either way, Russell probably isn't as untouchable as you'd believe considering the A's did trade him. I tend to believe there are relatively few "untouchable" players it is just that the price point is too high for most to pay.

I can agree with that

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok he is a catcher. Its not his fault his bat is so volatile he is up here too soon.

I would love to see the Cubs be smart about this and realize the fortune they have with two young catchers. They should keep them both. Why does it have to be Montero and Ross with Schwarber in LF. Or Ross and Schwarber with a Montero trade?

How about be the envy of the league and roll with Schwarber/Montero for 2-3 years? You can always pinch hit one of them, put Schwarber in Lf a game here or there, and keep your catchers fresh. Protect those young knees and they won't get old!!

Massive luxury, but catchers get hurt.

Still....I think it would be good for them both and be a strength of the team.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because they are both left-handed sticks. It makes no sense to have them both.

Well, it would if the kid could play the outfield and catch....combine that with the DH at bats and you got a pretty full season. There are tons of teams over the years that had two catchers that both hit righthanded....Cubs would have two from the left side. I do get what you're saying though....not exactly an ideal situation.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well, it would if the kid could play the outfield and catch....combine that with the DH at bats and you got a pretty full season. There are tons of teams over the years that had two catchers that both hit righthanded....Cubs would have two from the left side. I do get what you're saying though....not exactly an ideal situation.
It probably not a good idea to have a kid who still learning how to catch which is a tough tact in itself, to also learn how to play LF in the major league. ...

This is going to be a tough decision for theo and jed..

Their 2 big young hitters in bryant and Schwarber are probably better suited for LF. .

Or do they ship out their veteran defensive catcher and go with an inexperience , still learning kid...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It probably not a good idea to have a kid who still learning how to catch which is a tough tact in itself, to also learn how to play LF in the major league. ...

This is going to be a tough decision for theo and jed..

Their 2 big young hitters in bryant and Schwarber are probably better suited for LF. .

Or do they ship out their veteran defensive catcher and go with an inexperience , still learning kid...

There really are only two real choices, either they deal Montero in the offseason and take their chances with Schwarber and Ross or they keep Montero in a three catcher situation the kid plays some LF. I don't think Bryant moves off of 3B for a few years unless and injury force their hand.