Sebastian Janikowski retires...2000 draft analysis

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The Raiders were subjected to much ridicule when they used a 1st round/17th overall pick on Sebastian Janikowski in the 2000 NFL draft. But now that Janikowski's career is over (as well as the other draftees from the 2000 draft), we can see 'somewhat' empirically if the Raiders deserved to be blasted by the 'draft experts'.

PFR has a simple rating called "DrAV", which is the approximate total value the drafting team receives from it's draft pick. Janikowski spent nearly his entire career with the Raiders, and had a DrAV of 40. Thomas Jones had a nice NFL career, but didn't do much for the Cards who drafted him, so his DrAV is only 7.

If we look at Janikowski going 17th overall, and compare him to the rest of the 1st round players who were taken after him, we see only two players who ended up with significantly higher DrAV's...Keith Bulluck (30th to Titans) and Shaun Alexander (19th to Seahawks) had 70 DrAVs. Chad Pennington (18th to Jets) had a 41 to Janikowski's 40. What stands out to me is how much better Janikowski is than the majority of busts taken after him...Chris McIntosh 7, Trung Candidate 6, R Jay Soward 2 (may have had the worst hands of any WR I've ever seen), so many bad players.

I guess my point is that grading drafts right after they happen is nonsense, based on 'conventional wisdom' that is baseless in itself.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, that's surprising, and I liked SeaBass quite a bit. Guess that worked out for them. Nice.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Raiders were subjected to much ridicule when they used a 1st round/17th overall pick on Sebastian Janikowski in the 2000 NFL draft. But now that Janikowski's career is over (as well as the other draftees from the 2000 draft), we can see 'somewhat' empirically if the Raiders deserved to be blasted by the 'draft experts'.

PFR has a simple rating called "DrAV", which is the approximate total value the drafting team receives from it's draft pick. Janikowski spent nearly his entire career with the Raiders, and had a DrAV of 40. Thomas Jones had a nice NFL career, but didn't do much for the Cards who drafted him, so his DrAV is only 7.

If we look at Janikowski going 17th overall, and compare him to the rest of the 1st round players who were taken after him, we see only two players who ended up with significantly higher DrAV's...Keith Bulluck (30th to Titans) and Shaun Alexander (19th to Seahawks) had 70 DrAVs. Chad Pennington (18th to Jets) had a 41 to Janikowski's 40. What stands out to me is how much better Janikowski is than the majority of busts taken after him...Chris McIntosh 7, Trung Candidate 6, R Jay Soward 2 (may have had the worst hands of any WR I've ever seen), so many bad players.

I guess my point is that grading drafts right after they happen is nonsense, based on 'conventional wisdom' that is baseless in itself.
I gave the Raiders a B+ at the time. Now it obviously looks more like an A but I was close.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Al Davis wanted to draft a kicker because he felt the Raiders (8-8) ended up missing the playoffs in 1999 because of 2 or 3 games that were lost due to missing late field goals. He vowed to never let the be a problem again.

Not just Janikowski, the Raiders drafted punter Shane Lechler in the 5th round. He and Janikowski played together for 12 years.

After Janikowski got drafted, he got off to a rocky start, not just missing his first field goal attempt, but I think he missed 3 outta his first 5.
Other players resented him because of his draft status and because he was known to party late into the night. When he missed field goals, his teammates would question if he might have hit it if he wasn't out drinking the night before.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I had a first round grade on him at the time and he was the BPA. Good pick by the Raiders. We can only hope the BPA Riley Ridley, who had a 2nd round grade by CCS Draft Experts, will net a similar return.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Raiders should have used that pick on Tom Brady. :)

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess my point is that grading drafts right after they happen is nonsense

Seriously?

I sure love to hate you Mister Sparrow.

The Raiders should have used that pick on Tom Brady. :)

Imagine them using even a third round pick on Tom Brady. It would have been the most universally panned draft EVER that would look so brilliant 20 years later that NFL Mock Drafts would be banned by now.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I still think it was cra cra simply because the value vs replacement was low. Probably not the year to make this sort of statement on a Bear board, (Parkey) LOL.
Obviously there some more exclusive advantages like kicking through the endzone from the 30 and ability to make one late from over 60 but his success on those long tries were about average and his overall accuracy was less than expected.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Al Davis wanted to draft a kicker because he felt the Raiders (8-8) ended up missing the playoffs in 1999 because of 2 or 3 games that were lost due to missing late field goals. He vowed to never let the be a problem again.

Not just Janikowski, the Raiders drafted punter Shane Lechler in the 5th round. He and Janikowski played together for 12 years.

After Janikowski got drafted, he got off to a rocky start, not just missing his first field goal attempt, but I think he missed 3 outta his first 5.
Other players resented him because of his draft status and because he was known to party late into the night. When he missed field goals, his teammates would question if he might have hit it if he wasn't out drinking the night before.
He was also a dick accused of using ghb in bars.
A week after being acquitted of trying to bribe a police officer, former Florida State kicker Sebastian Janikowski was arrested on charges of possessing the "date-rape drug" at Tallahassee, Fla. The Oakland Raiders' first-round draft choice and two friends were found with GHB at a nightclub early Wednesday during a police sweep for underage drinkers, Florida State University police said.

Janikowski, a native of Poland, and the two others were charged with one count of felony possession of a controlled substance. The All-American kicker who helped the Seminoles win the national championship was released from jail after pleading not guilty and posting $2,500 bond. Janikowski, 22, was scheduled to leave this week to begin workouts with the Raiders. He has not signed with the team.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
He was also a dick accused of using ghb in bars.
A week after being acquitted of trying to bribe a police officer, former Florida State kicker Sebastian Janikowski was arrested on charges of possessing the "date-rape drug" at Tallahassee, Fla. The Oakland Raiders' first-round draft choice and two friends were found with GHB at a nightclub early Wednesday during a police sweep for underage drinkers, Florida State University police said.

Janikowski, a native of Poland, and the two others were charged with one count of felony possession of a controlled substance. The All-American kicker who helped the Seminoles win the national championship was released from jail after pleading not guilty and posting $2,500 bond. Janikowski, 22, was scheduled to leave this week to begin workouts with the Raiders. He has not signed with the team.

Well, idk, but some people self-administer GHB in small doses because it's a depressant and has similiar effects of alcohol.
I'm not defending the guy, I don't care one way or the other. But some people take it to get high without raping chicks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Never said he raped chicks but he was known dick.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Tom Brady is now the last of his kind. (EDIT: from the 2000 draft)

and he's a big enough weirdo this will persist for a few more years.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is their new kicker a clear upgrade or a clear downgrade?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Sounds terrible. We should make sure we get the antithesis of that personality. Someone clean-cut, churchgoing ... wait.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So what happened to Rory? Anyone know? Is he with the Egg Pants Man?

Is he Fucktucky?

Although, I think Rory was well versed in Arlington Heights and all of its splendor.

I guarantee if Rory was around, he would know when the draft starts.

mecha

Liked Posts:

Is he Fucktucky?

Although, I think Rory was well versed in Arlington Heights and all of its splendor.

he would

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Is he Fucktucky?

I heard he passed away. Rory was the GOAT