Seriously, what is Robbie Gould’s plan.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think the Bears can find a dependable kicker for less than Gould would cost in the unlikely case that he becomes available. Just because they got burned when they went all in on Parkey, it doesn't mean the alternative is Gould or nothing.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What are the options for both him and the Niners now? Would he be willing to sit out a season? Would he be a free agent after that? I’m just perplexed that he did this.
If Gould sits out, SF could franchise him again next year, but they won't. Like LeVeon Bell and Pit... LeVeon sat the year, they both took the hit, but Pit wasn't going to franchise him and have him sit out again. Nobody wins. No franchise tag=free agent.

Would Gould sit out the season? He probably could afford to, but who knows his financial situation? If he wants out SF, he sits the year in Chi and is free agent next year. Or is Gould just trying to get a multiyear contract in SF?

Would he be a free agent after that? Already answered that. If SF doesn't franchise him again, and I'm sure they wouldn't, than yes, he'd be a free agent 2020.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
If Gould sits out, SF could franchise him again next year, but they won't. Like LeVeon Bell and Pit... LeVeon sat the year, they both took the hit, but Pit wasn't going to franchise him and have him sit out again. Nobody wins. No franchise tag=free agent.

Would Gould sit out the season? He probably could afford to, but who knows his financial situation? If he wants out SF, he sits the year in Chi and is free agent next year. Or is Gould just trying to get a multiyear contract in SF?

Would he be a free agent after that? Already answered that. If SF doesn't franchise him again, and I'm sure they wouldn't, than yes, he'd be a free agent 2020.

Gould rejected the multiyear contract offered to him by SF and demanded a trade.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you can’t figure out why someone is doing something.....it’s always the money...

I’m sure San Fran gets to you. He misses his family, and is kicking well in meaningless games when he has experienced more.

It’s already a thankless job and now the kicks are meaningless?

Why would he want to be there unless it’s the money? They won’t give him a 3-4 year and he is ticked.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
If he wants to really play for Chicago, retire and come back with the Bears.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe he legitimately just wants to be near his family? And is making that the first priority?
Yeah, the dude has enough money to retire comfortably so his family situation is likely way more important to him. If I were him, I'd take a big pay cut to move back home.

Reactions: DC

Icemanx

Liked Posts:
I hope Pace doesn't give up picks and a large contract to this douche. Just let ODonnel kick off, go for 2, and anything inside the 40 is 4 down territory.
This is the dumbest thing I heard in a very long time!!!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Be real, people. There's almost no way this ends any way other than Gould kicking for San Fran or sitting a year.

49ers ain't going to give Gould up, hence their willingness to Franchise Tag him. He can chill and not sign it, but they still hold his rights. So if that happens, I'd expect they sign another kicker temporarily for a few hundred thousand dollars and just wait Gould out. It doesn't benefit them to let Gould go.

The only way that apple cart gets upset is if someone makes an offer that just blows the socks off the 49ers, but you'd probably have to overpay by quite a bit.

And all this is assuming Ryan Pace, the guy who cut Gould, even wants him back.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So as we all know from the LeVeon Bell situation, if he doesn't sign the tag, he sits out the year. This is a vastly different situation though because the Steelers could afford to keep a WR on the roster under the cap who was not playings. You can't do this with a kicker. Someone actually has to kick. So at some point the 49ers have to rescind the tag and let him become a free agent. If they sign another kicker and keep him, they lose 5 million dollars in salary cap. They would be stupid to do that to spite him.

On the contrary, I'd expect the 49ers to do exactly that. Doesn't affect their cap this year, and they're not going to just let Gould walk---They're just not going to.

Now, I don't think we'll get the opportunity to see this in action, because I think he'll end his holdout before the season. But if he does continue his holdout, doesn't hurt the 49ers hardly at all to do a one-time payment of $5M to a guy who's not playing who they're not willing to let go, and sign a kicker in the meantime for a few hundred thousand dollars.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Greg Gabriel was on the Score after the draft Saturday. He said Fox was instrumental in the Gould cut. He said Robbie was a vocal guy in the locker room and wasn’t a Fox guy. He also said Robbie did go through the worst slump of his career under Fox. Gould gets cut and in comes Barth a guy Fox knew and had coached in Denver.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
First of all Robbie won’t sit out the season. He will either get a multiyear contract from the 49ers or he will report to work before the deadline to miss a game check. He needs to feed his family ya know!

Lets say he does sit out the season (he wont). Then he wont get paid and cant sign anywhere else just like Le'veon Bell last year.
No, it's not that simple. The Niners are not going to waste a roster spot so they can add another K while Robbie sits out even as little as one game for the season. SOmeone has to budge

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
No, it's not that simple. The Niners are not going to waste a roster spot so they can add another K while Robbie sits out even as little as one game for the season. SOmeone has to budge

Makes sense. Niners sign stopgap kicker for Week 1, Gould comes back in Week 2...Lynch throws up his hands and says "Well, we paid this kicker a league minimum salary...we have to waste a roster spot for this guy because releasing a player in the NFL would be unprecedented..."

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Robbie Gould has said stupid stuff in the past and is an easy target to make fun of but, he seems genuine and seems to be the quintessential middle aged white guy that likes BBQing with a "kiss the Chef" apron on while the neighborhood kids frolic in the pool and all the male parents discuss lawn care. I also think Gould understands that he has career earnings of $29+M largely because of the Bears, really let them down before he was released, and to an extent feels he owes them a little something. He also understands that at this point in his life he has earned more than he will ever need and what he can't ever buy is time with his wife and young kids. Gould lived in a hotel in SF last season with his wife and kids back in Chicago for a reason, he has no intention of living in SF with his family long term and signing a 2-3 yr deal with SF mean moving your family there temporarily and then moving again in a few years. His Kids are 5,3, and newborn, so with them starting school, I don't think he wants to desrupt his kids life that way.

So what to do about the SF impasse? That's a tough one.
1) Gould may be willing to go nuclear and sit all season
2)I don't see Pace giving up picks( maybe a token conditional 6-7 pick at most) for an aging kicker.
3)The biggest impediment, John Lynch. Lynch has repeatedly been burned on attempted trades, feeling passed by despite giving the best offer. He has no intention of letting a bald, Martin in accounting looking MF'er eat his lunch in this contract showdown.

How this plays out is a complete crap shoot.

Reactions: DC

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the dude has enough money to retire comfortably so his family situation is likely way more important to him. If I were him, I'd take a big pay cut to move back home.

Please...if being with his family was such a priority...he could just retire for real and go home. Why does this have to be spun into some noble cause when it is just a contract dispute?

Actually it is literally that simple...the Niners already have that other kicker signed too.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please...if being with his family was such a priority...he could just retire for real and go home. Why does this have to be spun into some noble cause when it is just a contract dispute?
It's not a black and white issue. Likely money has a varying degree of impact, as does wanting to move home. Somebody offered him $100 million, he's not going anywhere ever. But what he's making compared to what he already has saved could tip the scales towards moving back home.

None of us know.

mecha

Liked Posts:
while Gould is fucking the 49ers around the Bears franchise still has to address the position regardless of his availability.

the Chicago Bears will thus have to select a kicker from a crop of 8 no-talent shitbirds (gross estimation), but it will be their shitbird.

I'm fully aware that CuckCitySports is unaware of the difference between all this emotional dramatic nonsense and the nuances of being an organization of professionals, pussy ass douchebags that sit out games due to anxiety attacks/groin spasms/misc. horseshit excluded.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

"The obvious question is why don't the Bears try and bring Robbie back," Butler said. "Well, Robbie had tremendous success, better than any kicker in Chicago, and he's gone on and done it even better after he left the Bears. If you're looking for the rah-rah, team-team thing, remember, they'll cut your ass just as quick as anything in the NFL.

"It's not like you're going to get back there in Chicago and you'll be hugging all these guys. ... You still have to perform. He's performing at a level that he's never done before. It's broke in Chicago and they need to fix it. Robbie is certainly not broke in San Francisco."

It is almost as if Kevin Butler is saying maybe the problem in Chicago runs deeper than the guy that kicks the ball.

@Grimson

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I think Gould is panicking because he knows just how much money it takes to feed his gluttonous family

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears signed and have control of some promising rookies.

I could see that whittling down to 1, possibly a 2nd stashed on PS who can be swapped with SF if things keep going poorly out there with Gould by the end of preseason or even a few weeks in. If Nagy/Pace like their rookie (on the cheap), Gould's out though.