Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What are the options for both him and the Niners now? Would he be willing to sit out a season? Would he be a free agent after that? I’m just perplexed that he did this.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Didn't he say he wants to be close to his family in Chicago?

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
First of all Robbie won’t sit out the season. He will either get a multiyear contract from the 49ers or he will report to work before the deadline to miss a game check. He needs to feed his family ya know!

Lets say he does sit out the season (he wont). Then he wont get paid and cant sign anywhere else just like Le'veon Bell last year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
So as we all know from the LeVeon Bell situation, if he doesn't sign the tag, he sits out the year. This is a vastly different situation though because the Steelers could afford to keep a WR on the roster under the cap who was not playings. You can't do this with a kicker. Someone actually has to kick. So at some point the 49ers have to rescind the tag and let him become a free agent. If they sign another kicker and keep him, they lose 5 million dollars in salary cap. They would be stupid to do that to spite him.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I hope Pace doesn't give up picks and a large contract to this douche. Just let ODonnel kick off, go for 2, and anything inside the 40 is 4 down territory.

Reactions: DC

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
The Bears kicker competition now consists of 7 kickers.

Ryan Pace, “alright you seven kickers give it all you got and one of you guys might win the job all depending on what happens with Robbie Gould, good luck and may the best kicker win!” ???

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
On 2/26 the franchise tagged Gould, on 3/08 they signed Jonathan Brown to a 2 year deal......competition for Gould?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
These threads keep popping up, but do you really believe Pace is going to bring back a guy he got rid of?

Kind of an ego thing, right?

Well, that and the price tag.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
These threads keep popping up, but do you really believe Pace is going to bring back a guy he got rid of?

not only that, but he's the Antonio Brown or kickers, he should change his name to Robbie Brown!

Fuckin locker room cancer!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think price is the only thing that would prevent it because ya, I think Pace is above the ego thing.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:

Normally you would be on point but this has situation has a few nuances that lead me to believe Pace would jump at the chance to sign Gould IF HE BECOMES AVAILABLE. (I personally dont think he will).

1). Robbie has given Pace a face saving statement many times by saying getting released forced him to reevaluate his mechanics and lead to his success since getting released by the Bears.

2). Kicker position has been a dumpster fire since Pace released him... embarrassing to Pace is an understatement. This failing led to a playoff loss. Pace wants a no lose option and Robbie is it. If he is good, Pace wins. If Gould gets the Yips, noone blames Pace becuase of Goulds track record.

3) fan favorite, like it or not Gould still maintains that status and fuels it by leaving is family here, making statements like “I will retire a Bear, even if its a one day contract “ ( not a direct qoute, but close)

If the 49ers release Gould watch Pace sprint to the table to sign him. What I dont think he will do is trade any draft capitol to get him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think his plan was to try to force his way to Chicago whether it be by trade or a release from San Fran but unfortunately for him that's not gonna work for him and he will not be a Chicago Bear and will be kicking for the 49ers again next year.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are the options for both him and the Niners now? Would he be willing to sit out a season? Would he be a free agent after that? I’m just perplexed that he did this.

Maybe he legitimately just wants to be near his family? And is making that the first priority?

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I think he literally needs to hand feed food to his family members. Definitely hard to do that when you're always stuck in NorCal.

Speed

Liked Posts:
This is basically Robbie right now

giphy.gif

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
So as we all know from the LeVeon Bell situation, if he doesn't sign the tag, he sits out the year. This is a vastly different situation though because the Steelers could afford to keep a WR on the roster under the cap who was not playings. You can't do this with a kicker. Someone actually has to kick. So at some point the 49ers have to rescind the tag and let him become a free agent. If they sign another kicker and keep him, they lose 5 million dollars in salary cap. They would be stupid to do that to spite him.
No, and yes. SF has already spent the $5mil in cap. But every week Gould doesn't play, they get it back.

Can they use it each week to pay the replacement kicker? I'm not sure. But even if not, SF gets that cap back for the next year. What's my source? Article on LeVeon Bell. I'll post below.

SF wouldn't be 'trying to spite him'. SF is setting a precedence they aren't going to cave to players. SF takes the hit along with Gould now, and other players won't try it in the future.

So I don't think they release him. But they might go for a trade; but this late in the game, probably not many teams need a kicker and can afford a trade.

Bell was slated to make $14.5 million on his second consecutive franchise tag this season. Not surprisingly, that kind of financial commitment combined with their other star players left the Steelers pressed up against the cap. They even restructured a few veterans, notably Antonio Brown and Cam Heyward, to try to give themselves a bit more flexibility. But every week Bell didn't show up saved the Steelers money.

As of this moment, the Steelers have around $13.6 million in cap space according to Spotrac, and most of that came because of Bell missing the season's first 10 weeks. He has already surrendered more than half of his salary, and by missing the season, he will surrender the rest of it. That is around $6 million, taking the Steelers to around $19.6 million in unused space this year. That is relevant because NFL teams are allowed to carry unused cap space over into the next season.

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Pace doesn't give up picks and a large contract to this douche. Just let ODonnel kick off, go for 2, and anything inside the 40 is 4 down territory.

I want Robbie back in Chicago, but I want it cheap. No picks, a modest contract, and STFU and get to work. Other than that, totally down with the "go for 2" plan. Let's revolutionize it, Nagy.