Shaq to the Bulls?

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
http://www.rumorpress.net/

An article from rumorpress.net that brings up interest from Phoenix of a Deng, Tim Thomas and Jerome James to Phoenix for Shaq deal. Seems awful hard for me to believe. Then for me the idea of Shaq in a Bulls uniform makes me sick. At the end he mentions as a fallback Chicago would look into Camby or Kaman from the Clippers for Hinrich.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
In a rather surprising discovery, the Phoenix Suns and Bulls plan on engaging in trade talks that could send the future hall of fame center to Chicago, as soon as teams are allowed to talk after the playoffs.

Suns GM Steve Kerr is looking to deal Shaq and is said to be interested in Loul Deng. The Suns would like to move the aging center mainly because he has slowed the up-tempo Suns down drastically. They feel Deng could bring some young, athletic energy back to the team. The Suns also feel Deng could still live up to his potential and contract if he can stay healthy.

However, Chicago fears that O’Neal will slow down the Bulls young, up-tempo style of play (with the Bulls already having a slow moving, aging center on the team in Brad Miller). On the other hand, the Bulls would love to get rid of Loul Deng’s huge contract, especially with the emergence of John Salmons and with their hopes to resign Ben Gordon.

The trade would likely be O’Neal for Deng, Tim Thomas and Jerome James (assuming James exercises his player option) Look for the Suns and Bulls to at least toy around with the idea.

If those talks do not work out, the Bulls, as we all know, will likely target the Clippers Chris Kaman or Marcus Camby in exchange for Kirk Hinrich.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
If they can honestly clear Deng off the books and bring in an above average post option for next season, I can't see how they pass this up. The cap space in 2010 becomes just massive.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I did a full on salary thing on chicago now about this, but the gist of it is, this trade, on it's own frees up a little room for Gordon, but not enough to stay under the tax.

In the process of freeing up some room, it removes a lot of the cash flexibility of Jerome James insurance money.

Obviously long term, the deal helps tremendously by removing Deng's contract though.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
I takes away alot of future money which might be just enough to convince Reinsdorf. As for the trade I absolutely love it. I don't really get how Shaq slows them down as he's really good outlet passer and Rose can basically run the break himself. You would have to have either Noah or Tyrus with O'neal though as they can be there for offensive rebound. I also like Shaq leadership as he will get in Tyrus face for not hustling down the court. We desperately need thug inside and could really value his inside presence

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Shaq probably would slow us down some, but I think it's worth the risk.

The big question is how would Shaq deal with playing here, a team that doesn't look like a legit contender?

At least we'd get to hear him discuss how Derrick Rose is the greatest guard he's ever played with.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Were probably in better position than Suns. I think he makes us ECF team if he plays like last season. He probably has good relationship with Del Negro too

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Were probably in better position than Suns. I think he makes us ECF team if he plays like last season. He probably has good relationship with Del Negro too

I don't know about that. Steve Kerr said the veteran nature of their team was the reason they didn't want to hire Del Negro.

AirP

Liked Posts:
If/when the Orlando Magic knocks the Cavs out... will Cleveland made a big play for Shaq to try to keep Lebron happy?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
What would Cleveland offer?

They could maybe do Ilgauskas + West? That would save the Suns about $4.3 million in cap space which may be enough to push them under the tax.

I'm not sure what else Cleveland could really do that would be appealing, though the Bulls offer doesn't seem all that appealing either unless they're just really high on Deng.

Concept

Liked Posts:
Lets do the trade. It seems like a win, win for the bulls.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
I have always been a fan of Shaq coming here. Not only does the guy stay in double digits every season, but he gives the media something to talk about. You want popular segments about the Bulls these days, hey, Shaq is the guy for that. Besides, this is where Del Negro incorporates a system that would allow the current roster and Shaq is mesh well. He needs to make name for himself as the coach heading into next season. The only thing I fear about Shaq is will he become a distraction when things aren't looking bright. Optimistically, His passing ability and back-to-the-basket presence is obviously a benefit for Gordon and Rose because he'll draw double-teams.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
I can see Gordon dumping the ball into Shaq and soon the double come, Shaq immediately kicks it back out to Gordon for the three. Or, Derrick Rose dumps it into Shaq, now he gets it back to Rose for the cutter... SLaM!

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
I think adding Shaq clearly we all know how good the future savings will be but I really think with Shaq we could battle with the upper teams in the east like Orlando, Boston and Cleveland.... This was a good team without Deng this year and was a 50 win team if given the whole season

We also have two picks to fill some voids as role players too.

Shaq is still pretty dominant down low and would definitely help us there and is still a pretty good passer. Looking at this team you'll have

C-Shaq/Miller
F-Thomas/Noah
F-Salmons/Draft Pick/Even Thomas
G-Gordon/Kirk/Draft pick
G-Rose/Kirk

We have a really strong bench with Noah, Miller, Kirk and whatever draftee we get and Shaq, Thomas, Salmons, Gordon and Rose is a nice 5

I wouldn't rule us out of competing to make the ECF

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
Ralphb07 wrote:
I think adding Shaq clearly we all know how good the future savings will be but I really think with Shaq we could battle with the upper teams in the east like Orlando, Boston and Cleveland.... This was a good team without Deng this year and was a 50 win team if given the whole season

We also have two picks to fill some voids as role players too.

Shaq is still pretty dominant down low and would definitely help us there and is still a pretty good passer. Looking at this team you'll have

C-Shaq/Miller
F-Thomas/Noah
F-Salmons/Draft Pick/Even Thomas
G-Gordon/Kirk/Draft pick
G-Rose/Kirk

We have a really strong bench with Noah, Miller, Kirk and whatever draftee we get and Shaq, Thomas, Salmons, Gordon and Rose is a nice 5

I wouldn't rule us out of competing to make the ECF

As long Shaq stay in condition, he's always going to be dominant.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
I like that lineup, but I'd probably start Noah at PF. He's earned the starting spot ahead of Tyrus. Let Tyrus come in against the other team's second unit.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I did a full on salary thing on chicago now about this, but the gist of it is, this trade, on it's own frees up a little room for Gordon, but not enough to stay under the tax.

In the process of freeing up some room, it removes a lot of the cash flexibility of Jerome James insurance money.

Obviously long term, the deal helps tremendously by removing Deng's contract though.
Why do you say that? It frees up $3.5 Million this year to bring us under $60 million committed for the year. If the LT doesn't go much we will $9-10 Million in salary room to sign BG and both draft picks. This move also doesn't preclude us from making a move for Bosh since we still have Miller's expiring deal, TT and both picks. I really can't see a downside unless Deng makes a comeback in Phoenix but they have so many other offensive options that he won't touch the ball, and if the suns think they can play him at the 4, he will get destroyed.

AirP

Liked Posts:
HeavyC wrote:
I like that lineup, but I'd probably start Noah at PF. He's earned the starting spot ahead of Tyrus. Let Tyrus come in against the other team's second unit.

Um.... while Shaq is camped out in the low post, the PF is going to need to have a midrange game and that isn't something Noah can do.

The pairings for PF and Center that make sense...
Shaq and Tyrus
Miller and Noah
Shaq and Miller (slow at 2 positions, but beef for rebounding).

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Why do you say that? It frees up $3.5 Million this year to bring us under $60 million committed for the year. If the LT doesn't go much we will $9-10 Million in salary room to sign BG and both draft picks. This move also doesn't preclude us from making a move for Bosh since we still have Miller's expiring deal, TT and both picks. I really can't see a downside unless Deng makes a comeback in Phoenix but they have so many other offensive options that he won't touch the ball, and if the suns think they can play him at the 4, he will get destroyed.

That would be 60 million for 7 players. 9 players after you use the draft picks, and you're up to 62.5 million. Sign Gordon for 7.1 million first year (that'd be the same 54 million dollar deal we offered last yera), and you're now at 69.6 million for 10 players.

The luxury tax is expected to be at 70 million. You need to sign three guys for the minimum which totals 1.5 million more, you're at 71.1 million total. I think it's actually a little bit above that when we remove all the rough rounding as well.