Shaq to the Bulls?

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
It appears I am in the minority here in not wanting this deal to happen. First is this deal does not save capspace to sign Gordon and stay under the luxury tax for next season. Two is we just gave up a still young talent in Deng who is under contract for one year of Shaq(and a reduced Shaq at that). This deal clears all this space for 2010 but who really is going to be there to sign as a FA in 2010? Lebron ain't coming, Wade will sign an extension in Miami, Bosh probably is traded before then and if Shaq is moved then Phoenix signs Amare to an extension. So you have Shaq for one year, you still don't bring Gordon back, you have no bigtime FA to sign in summer of 2010, and you also have lost a young talent in Deng.
First, this does clear cap space to resign BG. We save 3.5 Million which will be about half of BG's first year salary, so it does help and only puts us about a million over the LT after signing BG and both picks. Secondly, cap space can be used in many ways other then signing a player. It provides a lot of flexibility where we can combine some of our other assets like TT or picks and give a team instant cap space to absorb a star players salary. Lastly, a contract like Deng's handicaps a team like the bulls. If he isn't producing like he was, you just tied up almost 20% of your salary flexibility. I would be happy to keep a healthy and producing Deng but we just haven't seen that due to injuries and has missed significant time in 3 of his 5 season. At this point, it makes sense to cut our loses, sure it can come back to bite us in the ass but sf is the easiest position to fill in the NBA and its not like Deng was all that great to begin with. Lastly, you are ignoring the fact that we are acquiring an HOF first ballot big, he may be old but he is still an allstar, espically in the east. And he solves our long standing dream of a low post big, even if its only for a year.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I'd do it even if Shaq hated the Bulls so much we had to send him home without playing. Getting out from the mistake of Deng's long term deal is worth it.

If Shaq is happy to play for the Bulls then it's a bonus, because he's still likely to be a decent player next year.