Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pace has at times tried the shotgun approach with regards to positions of need,bringing in 3 K's and counting this offseason. Drafting 2 ILB's last yr, signing/drafting 4 WR last yr, signing/drafting 2 QB's 2 yrs ago,drafting 3 safeties in 2 yrs. I would not be shocked to see him draft a 3rd rnd RB and come back and double up later in the draft on a falling RB in a later round. Maybe an injury risk, like Bryce Love.

Would you be apposed ?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Not going to happen with our limited picks. I'd be surprised to see a RB in rd 3 at all...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
BPA within reason. If that yields 2 RBs then so be it. Wouldnt take a RB though if a similarly rated prospect is available at more valuable position.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hold shotgun to Goodell's brane and demand w/e RB u want.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OP idea is a no.

I'm in favor of the RB at value strategy. If the perfect guy falls to 3 so be it, but there are intriguing players and one or more is likely available in the 5th or 6th, even a Bryce Love which we could put on redshirt layaway.

Nall/Cohen/Davis should allow Bears to be patient with the RB selection. I doubt the right value is there at 3 with T/DE/CB/TE in play and plentiful.

My gut says same issue happens in the 4th, and we see a "good fit" running back taken at surprising value in the 5th or 6th round. Davis/Nall/draft pick

will fight this out for reps behind Cohen.

This plan without Howard is great until the day Cohen gets hurt and can't carry his timeshare. If Cohen gets hurt the plan is a failure, imo.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not at all as long as he's convicted about the choice. Both approaches are viable and situational. When you can't secure a sure thing at a position of need due to either salary or availability, using #s to address it is a great way to go.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Pace has at times tried the shotgun approach with regards to positions of need,bringing in 3 K's and counting this offseason. Drafting 2 ILB's last yr, signing/drafting 4 WR last yr, signing/drafting 2 QB's 2 yrs ago,drafting 3 safeties in 2 yrs. I would not be shocked to see him draft a 3rd rnd RB and come back and double up later in the draft on a falling RB in a later round. Maybe an injury risk, like Bryce Love.

Would you be apposed ?
I can also see several UDFA RBs get a tryout

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this board as a whole underrates the RB position, and the way things are panning out, I think there's going to be some rude awakenings and some doubts about how Pace handled our RBs in the near future.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
OP idea is a no.

I'm in favor of the RB at value strategy. If the perfect guy falls to 3 so be it, but there are intriguing players and one or more is likely available in the 5th or 6th, even a Bryce Love which we could put on redshirt layaway.

Nall/Cohen/Davis should allow Bears to be patient with the RB selection. I doubt the right value is there at 3 with T/DE/CB/TE in play and plentiful.

My gut says same issue happens in the 4th, and we see a "good fit" running back taken at surprising value in the 5th or 6th round. Davis/Nall/draft pick

will fight this out for reps behind Cohen.

This plan without Howard is great until the day Cohen gets hurt and can't carry his timeshare. If Cohen gets hurt the plan is a failure, imo.
So if Cohen got injured last year and we play Mizell in his place, that wouldn't have been a failure? Are you forgetting that we already have Davis?

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I think this board as a whole underrates the RB position, and the way things are panning out, I think there's going to be some rude awakenings and some doubts about how Pace handled our RBs in the near future.
I somewhat agree with you. I know starting running backs can be found in the later rounds, but that doesn't mean every runningback drafted turns into a player. If it was for Howard stepping up big as a rookie we would have been in big trouble with Jeremy Langford as our starter.

My hope is that we are able to find the runningback that best fits what Nagy is looking for. Gone are the days of one runningback getting 25-30 carries for this team. We need to find a player that compliments Cohen well and can be counted on for 10-15 touches.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ah, the old shotgun vs rifle canard

Canth

Liked Posts:
Eh, I am not sure if I would describe Pace as having a shotgun approach. IMO, he tries to cover all the immediate needs in free agency so that he can try to stay true to his board and draft BPA.

When I think to the example of drafting 2 ILB's last year, the argument can be made that those were BPA picks. Certainly, Roquan was considered a BPA pick at #8. And the athletic traits of Iggy made sense in the 4th. In those middle rounds you are just trying to find depth and special teams contributions that can be developed into a starter someday.

Now, the kicker situation is certainly more of a shotgun approach. But he has screwed that position up so much that he basically has to do that now to try and find one that works.

Similar to kicker, the Bears wide receiver position was seriously in bad shape. It was not so much a shotgun approach as acknowledging that nearly their entire wr corps needed to be replaced. Think back to 2017 and remember for most of the season after the Meredith and White injuries that the WRs were guys like: Kendall Wright, Deonte Thompson, Tre McBride, Dontrelle Inman, Tanner Gentry, and Josh Bellamy. Of that entire group including the injured guys, only Gentry is still around on the practice squad. They probably would have liked to hang onto Bellamy for his special teams work and he was actually get better as a receiver with great speed, but he was too expensive in FA. The rest were let go for good reasons.

So, that was a long winded way of saying that I expect Pace to stick to BPA and build depth. I would think that he takes a RB at some point and if his BPA says to take 2 RB, then so be it. But, I think in that instance he would probably try to move around in the draft to match BPA to need and avoid doubling up at RB in this particular draft.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the shotgun approach. Besides kicker, Pace has to put that shotgun to use on TEs and RBs this year and see what sticks on Nagy's second year scheme

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Is it really drafting BPA when you trade up and down targeting specific players though?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Is it really drafting BPA when you trade up and down targeting specific players though?

Yes, I would consider that absolutely to be drafting to BPA. In the trade up, clearly you consider that person to be BPA and that they will not make it to your pick, hence the move. In the trade down, you are looking to avoid reaching for someone that could be available later or there is a 'cloud' of very similar ranked players available. Basically, my assumption is that none of the available players would really be standing out that the team must pick. So, you are looking to accumulate picks while feeling that you will end up with a player or players that are in that cloud of similar ranking/ability.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Pace needs to quit using the shotgun on his kickers and instead use a rifle and find a kicking COACH.... someone that knows what a good kicker is and how to help the kicker when he goes into a slump.

I don't mind using a late pick on a kicker, but they need to make sure the staff is in place to help eliminate the chance of it being a "wasted" pick.