Should the Cubs go after Stanton/Upton?

EROCK23

Liked Posts:
I know this has probably 0% chance of happening but I always find it fun to see possible trades and whether or not they would work. Its my First article here at CCS so hope you all like it! thanks!

Well Chicago sports fans with the Bears season coming to an unsatisfying close it is time to turn our attention to our beloved Cubbies. With most of the big name free agents signed and just minor moves left to be made by major league ball clubs we have a much clearer look now at the Cubs roster for 2013. While many fans including me are not expecting much out of the Cubs this year I am always excited to get another baseball season underway.
The Chicago Cubs have recently been linked to being interested in Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton and Diamondbacks OF Justin Upton. While both players are young five tool superstars do the Cubs really need to go after one of these talents. Can they afford Upton or Stanton? The answer to that is yes. The cost for either would be substantial though. The Cubs would most likely have to give up the top prospect in the organization in Javier Baez. Baez who just turned 20 last month is currently the SS for Class A Daytona. He is considered the top prospect in the Cubs system because of his great average and stellar defense. Many experts project he could be a 25+ home run threat as well and possibly take Starlin Castro’s position at SS and move him to 3B. Not only would the Cubs have to give up a great potential player in Baez they would also seem to have to trade away the face of the franchise Starlin Castro. The young shortstop for the Chicago Cubs is one of the few bright spots on the Roster. Castro who turns 23 in March is a 2X All Star and an offensive threat every time he steps to the plate. At Castro’s young age there is still much room for improvement mainly on his plate discipline and his below average defense.
The Cubs would have to give up both those players in order to acquire the services of Upton or Stanton.

Upton, 25, is a 2X all-star with 5-tool ability. He hit a career high 31 HR’s in 2011 while also stealing a career high in bases with 21. Upton also has a career .278 BA with a .358 OBP.

Stanton, 23, had a career year last year with the mediocre Marlins batting .290 with 37 HR’s and 86 RBI’s. Stanton has the ability to consistently hit 45+ home runs a season. The Marlins recent revampent of the roster has left Stanton disgruntled and hinting at a desire to play for a new team.

While both players sound appealing and have good career numbers for their age the Cubs just don’t need to even entertain a trade for these two All-Stars. Now I know these rumors don’t have much base to them but it is always fun to look around at possibilities. I don’t see this trade happening mainly because Theo Epstein seems to want to build within the Farm system and let the prospects grow and be able to compete and go after big name free agents in the 2013 off-season and beyond. This may just be another tough to watch year for Cubs fans. Edwin Jackson isn’t going to bring us a NL central title anytime soon but moves like that show the Cubs are willing to spend and will spend when the time is right. The rumored interest in Upton and Stanton will not be the right move for the Cubs. It would be 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good work on article #1. If it's team specific put it in one of the team (Cubs/Sox) forums please :) If it's general MLB or equally important to both teams you can leave it in the main MLB forum, thanks.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course the Cubs *SHOULD* go after them. Whether they get them is another story :lol:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Rumor is that the DBacks were asking for Profar+ for Upton, I shudder to think what the Marlins are asking for when it comes to all that is man Stanton.

The Cubs don't have enough to get Stanton, Almora can't be traded until June at the earliest and I doubt the Fish will be happy with Baez+Soler.

Upton can be had, but he costs Baez. It's intriguing and I would pull the trigger in all likelihood but it is a tough decision.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rumor is that the DBacks were asking for Profar+ for Upton, I shudder to think what the Marlins are asking for when it comes to all that is man Stanton.

The Cubs don't have enough to get Stanton, Almora can't be traded until June at the earliest and I doubt the Fish will be happy with Baez+Soler.

Upton can be had, but he costs Baez. It's intriguing and I would pull the trigger in all likelihood but it is a tough decision.

you would pull the trigger on a Baez+ for Upton?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Yes they should.

I don't think they necessarily should have to give up Javier Baez, either. The only way I would trade Baez is if the Cubs ONLY see him as a shortstop. If they see him as the third baseman of the future then they should keep him. What if Vitters plays well? Do they trade Baez then?

They can start the trade off by trading David DeJesus. The Cubs make room for Stanton/Upton by trading DeJesus and the other team starts DeJesus in place of Stanton/Upton.

They can throw in Dan Vogelbach, too. What is the point of keeping him when they have Anthony Rizzo? Trade him now while you can.

The Cubs sign Kyuji Fujikawa, why not trade Marmol and let James Russell be the closer/set up guy?

Junior Lake was a top 100 prospect, but what good does it do having him when he is behind Starlin Castro and Javier Baez?

Javier Baez is the third baseman of the future, why not deal away Josh Vitters? Trade away Christian Villanueva.

They could trade Brett Jackson since Matt Szczur, Albert Almora and Jorge Soler will come up soon.

They have Arodys Vizcaino, Trey McNutt, Dillon Maples, Barrett Loux, Jay Jackson Ben Wells, Pierce Johnson. Why not trade one of them?

If you're not going to play Tony Campana, why not trade him to a team that will actually UTILIZE HIM?

Not sure if it's enough but here are some trade ideas: Trade: David DeJesus, Jorge Soler, Dan Vogelbach, Junior Lake, Josh Vitters, Christian Villanueva

Trade: David DeJesus, Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, Dan Vogelbach

You might trade away a handful of prospects but you get the MLB experience in return and Stanton/Upton and it would be well worth it.

Starting lineup:

1. Darwin Barney/Tony Campana
2. Starlin Castro
3. Anthony Rizzo
4. Justin Upton/Giancarlo Stanton
5. Alfonso Soriano
6. Ian Stewart (would like to see Vitters start but I don't think he will get the chance even if he does great in spring training)
7. Wellington Castillo
8. Darwin Barney/Tony Campana
9. Pitcher

BrewCrewFan

Liked Posts:
Cubs don't have enough for Stanton imo. It would cost 4 very, very, very good prospects, and I think only a couple teams could offer what MIA wanted.

Justin Upton though is another story. Cubs would be a great fit for him, and Chicago would have a very good combo of Castro/Upton/Rizzo for years to come.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Proposals are how, but I'll give mine: Both are which I would to too. I would like the Cubs to take either.

Stanton - Soler, Maples, Vogelbach, Villanueva, Lake and Jackson. I doubt this gets it done, but I think it's a good starting point at least. The Cubs also get Brad Hand.

Upton - Barney, Baez, Szczur and Vitters. Cubs also will get a player back in return. (Maybe Jake Elmore).

Get both, would be so nice but a big pipedream. I did both trades as if the Cubs could get both. It does ruin the minors, but I did keep Almora and both players are young. That takes a 3B out of the future, but maybe if Garza is healthy. They can trade him for Mike Olt. I know, I'm dreaming.

Line-up for next season then:

1) David Dejesus CF
2) Starlin Castro SS
3) Justin Upton RF
4) Mike Stanton LF
5) Anthony Rizzo 1B
6) Mike Olt 3B
7) Welington Castillo C
8) 2B - whoever (If can't find anyone, maybe try Watkins)
9) Pitcher

Future line-up with Almora. Castro may have to be leadoff man, there's just no speed in line-up.

1) Castro SS
2) Almora CF
3) Upton RF
4) Stanton LF
5) Rizzo 1B
6) Olt 3B
7) Castillo C
8) Watkins? 2B
9) P

Pitching rotation for next season:
1) Samardzija
2) Jackson
3) Feldman
4) Baker
5) Villanaueva/Wood

I know this will NEVER happen and proposals are prolly not good. But who wouldn't love this line-up?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
For stanton: The Cubs would be giving up their 3rd (Jackson). 6th (Soler, but will go down for sure with more time in minors.), 7th (Villanueva), 9th (Lake) 12th (Maples), and 14th (Vogelbach) prospects.

For Upton: A young cheap 2B who's still young and a gold glover, their 1st (Baez), 6th (Szczur) and 11th (Vitters) prospects.

So, I know the proposals prolly aren't good, but I did list all prospects withing their top 20 and the lowest was 14.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Trading for either of these players completely ruins what the Cubs have been trying to accomplish over the last year. Why bankrupt a farm system that's finally looking up to add a player (whether it's Stanton or Upton) that won't get this team any closer to a World Series? Sure a core of Castro, Rizzo and either Stanton or Upton would be nice, but that simply isn't enough to make the team more competitive, nor is it worth losing at least two of your five top prospects to land either one of them.

I'm of the mindset that we need to look to trade Garza, Marmol, DeJesus and Soriano this season, flesh out the farm system a tiny bit more with the upcoming draft and whatever prospects they land on these prospective trades, and try to attack the free agent market going into the 2014 season.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The free agent market sucks going forward. Not really one player is worth the money they will get. You're still taking a big gamble that they will be as good or better. Which could be a longshot, depending on developement. Both players are under 25 and the cost would make sense.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I don't really want Upton, but Stanton would be so sweet to get on this team. He would kill balls in Wrigley.

EdEdens12

Liked Posts:
Depends on the plus.

I dunno

Fuck, I hate falling in love with MIFers that can hit. That's my type!

I'd give up three Baez's to get Upton. The Cubs might have Almora and Soler down the road, but they are no sure things by any means. Upton gives them proven, young major league talent.