Smokescreens, Predictions, and Called It Thread - 2019 Edition

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Pace has a knack to do the unpredictable come draft day. Whether it is trading up one single spot, trading multiple times in the same round, drafting a small school prospect, getting a guy that dropped a round or two, trading up for a guy he has conviction in, sending smokescreens pre-draft, etc, Pace is entertaining and likely to do something out of the ordinary on draft weekend. If you have a #Called It worth prediction, post it here:

I still remember how Trubs was shocked the Bears picked him (https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/mitchell-trubisky-surprised-be-picked-bears). We didn't demonstrate alot of interest and there was much speculation we would pick Deshaun Watson if we went the QB route since we brought everyone on staff to Deshaun's pro-day. (Sneaky Pace!) At the time, It was widely thought that we could trade back a few spots and still be able to get Watson. (which we could have). Yet, we had our eyes set on Trubs the whole time and even traded up to ensure we got him. People complain that we traded up, but maybe 49ers don't give us that pick or try and get more compensation out of the Browns or someone-else that showed alot of interest in Trubs. Either way, the 9ers weren't sure what we were doing and Pace got his guy.

I have a feeling, the same type of smokescreen may be going on at RB. Alot of interest in Armstead, Devin Singletary, Lexington Thomas, Mike Weber, T. Williams, etc. All are 4th-6th+ round guys. Possibly we are just doing our due diligence by giving all these guys private workouts. But also, maybe, we are trying to set an illusion that we are targeting a mid-to late round runningback.

Consider this. Howard was probably on the Trading block well before he was actually traded to the Eagles for a 6th round pick. Its hard for me to believe he was being offered up with us scrambling, giving everyone and their mothers a private workout. You would think there needs to be a plan B in place already, instead of bringing in a whole bunch of late-round prospects. It just seems to haphazard and shortsighted to go through with actually trading Howard away for a measly 6th rounder, in hopes one of these last round guys you just met with pan out. I think Pace is more calculated than that, and is trying to lull everyone to sleep thinking he is actually considering a 5th round+ running back....but in reality, that is the worst case scenario.

Prediction: Instead, I think we have had our number one guy decided upon the whole time and traded Howard away to get whatever draft ammunition we could to move up. We should know by now that if Pace is sold on someone, he is going to do what is necessary to get that player, even if it means moving only a handful of spots up(Trubs, A. Miller, Floyd, E.Jackson, and Kwit). Once Pace decided on that player, everything else that has been done the last two months have all been a scheme to eventually land.... MILES SANDERS. If Sanders is within reach, I'm predicting the Bears will move up and get him. Even if it costs us mightily (a 2nd rounder next year), I could see them doing it out of panic if other similarly rated running backs are coming off the board. Ensuring we get the runningback of our choice is important considering the difference at the position could make or break us come postseason. In such a case, we won't miss a 2nd round pick. So there you go.. Boom! I #Called It

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
4/20 is over, but I guess you can still be high bro. Heres my stoner take:

My prediction, a player I had a boner for months ago, is that the bears draft darrell henderson in the 2nd round after a trade up.

You want to talk smokescreen....he's pretty much one of the only top rb talents we HAVEN'T met with.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My prognostication? The Bears draft the top 5 kickers, thus, cornering the market and getting a king's ransom for them. In 2020, they will have 4 1st rounders (due to the 4 kickers they traded) and 2 second rounders to fill out their team after their 2nd Super Bowl winning season.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My prediction is if Pace trades up in this draft it will be in the 3rd round to get someone that dropped farther than expected.

BearDownTexas

Liked Posts:
There will be a collective "W....T....F...." #calledit

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Pace has a knack to do the unpredictable come draft day. Whether it is trading up one single spot, trading multiple times in the same round, drafting a small school prospect, getting a guy that dropped a round or two, trading up for a guy he has conviction in, sending smokescreens pre-draft, etc, Pace is entertaining and likely to do something out of the ordinary on draft weekend. If you have a #Called It worth prediction, post it here:

I still remember how Trubs was shocked the Bears picked him (https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/mitchell-trubisky-surprised-be-picked-bears). We didn't demonstrate alot of interest and there was much speculation we would pick Deshaun Watson if we went the QB route since we brought everyone on staff to Deshaun's pro-day. (Sneaky Pace!) At the time, It was widely thought that we could trade back a few spots and still be able to get Watson. (which we could have). Yet, we had our eyes set on Trubs the whole time and even traded up to ensure we got him

I have a feeling, the same type of smokescreen may be going on at RB. Alot of interest in Armstead, Devin Singletary, Lexington Thomas, Mike Weber, T. Williams, etc. All are 4th-6th+ round guys. Possibly we are just doing our due diligence by giving all these guys private workouts. But also, maybe, we are trying to set an illusion that we are targeting a mid-to late round runningback.

Consider this. Howard was probably on the Trading block well before he was actually traded to the Eagles for a 6th round pick. Its hard for me to believe he was being offered up with us scrambling, giving everyone and their mothers a private workout. You would think there needs to be a plan B in place already, instead of bringing in a whole bunch of late-round prospects. It just seems to haphazard and shortsighted to go through with actually trading Howard away for a measly 6th rounder, in hopes one of these last round guys you just met with pan out. I think Pace is more calculated than that, and is trying to lull everyone to sleep thinking he is actually considering a 5th round+ running back....but in reality, that is the worst case scenario.

Prediction: Instead, I think we have had our number one guy decided upon the whole time and traded Howard away to get whatever draft ammunition we could to move up. We should know by now that if Pace is sold on someone, he is going to do what is necessary to get that player, even if it means moving only a handful of spots up(Trubs, A. Miller, Floyd, E.Jackson, and Kwit). Once Pace decided on that player, everything else that has been done the last two months have all been a scheme to eventually land.... MILES SANDERS. If Sanders is within reach, I'm predicting the Bears will move up and get him. Even if it costs us mightily (a 2nd rounder next year), I could see them doing it out of panic if other similarly rated running backs are coming off the board. Ensuring we get the runningback of our choice is important considering the difference at the position could make or break us come postseason. In such a case, we won't miss a 2nd round pick. So there you go.. Boom! I #Called It

Psssttt.....we didn’t get 2019 draft ammunition forHoward

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My early prediction was we trade our 3rd with the Giants for their 2 4th round picks. Obviously this always depends on what falls where but I expect Pace to add viable picks unless a top target drops.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace will trade, it has been a pretty constant for him as GM.

I could see a move up, but down makes sense as well.

I think the first 3 picks are RB, TE, CB, no idea of order.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think those 3 positions will be "shotgunned" with picks and/or UDFAs with groomable players for our PS. We might find a Corey Graham type CB from a small school and others to groom on the Oline besides the glaring help needed at RB and TE to make that O potent, unpredictable, and sustainable

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before the draft is over Greg Gabriel and Jason La Canfora will both be right about something.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You mean a broken clock has the right time twice type of metaphor ?

napo55

Liked Posts:
Since, as you say, Pace has a tendency to smokescreen by hiding his true intentions, and since other GMs aren't exactly stupid, I suspect little credence is being given to his professed interest in Singletary, etc. In fact, if this is true, they would tend to discount his interest in those he has supposedly targeted. In any case, with only a low 3rd round choice, most teams are probably not very interested in any thing he has been trying to sell.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
My easy prediction is that Pace will make trades up and/or down in the draft but if i'm gonna make a bold prediction then i'm gonna say he also trades a player to get a draft pick or picks. I'm gonna throw the names of Shaheen and Kwiatkowski and J.Bullard out there as players that could get traded.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I love the idea that the Bears are playing some smokecreen game 87 picks in, and bringing prospects in that they don't actually have any interest in drafting. 'Cause that's a thing.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I love the idea that the Bears are playing some smokecreen game 87 picks in, and bringing prospects in that they don't actually have any interest in drafting. 'Cause that's a thing.

It is when there are only a handful of runningbacks rated 1-2 rounds. The smokescreen is that we are content with drafting a RB late in the draft, but in reality are eager to trade up when no one expects it.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Since, as you say, Pace has a tendency to smokescreen by hiding his true intentions, and since other GMs aren't exactly stupid, I suspect little credence is being given to his professed interest in Singletary, etc. In fact, if this is true, they would tend to discount his interest in those he has supposedly targeted. In any case, with only a low 3rd round choice, most teams are probably not very interested in any thing he has been trying to sell.
What I'm claiming is that Its not so much that he is trying to convince others whom he will draft in the 3rd-5th round, but rather protecting his hand of moving up. He brought in quite a bit of guys in late March. Maybe all this is to distract that the team showed alot of interest in Sanders early on before the combine, right after it, and Sanders saying the Bears put him on their board.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Pace will trade, it has been a pretty constant for him as GM.

I could see a move up, but down makes sense as well.

I think the first 3 picks are RB, TE, CB, no idea of order.

The thing with Pace being a natural scout, is that he seems to be fall in love with a player or two every year and does what is necessary to target that player. As I mentioned in my OP, he has done this with Trubs, A. Miller, Floyd, E.Jackson, and Kwit. I think he will have a hard time sitting back until pick #87. We don't have alot to work with, but I still anticipate

Pace moving up to get a player he believes will be a gamechanger for this team. Now that we are a playoff contender, only so much separates one team from the other. If you can find that extra advantage, and it is sitting right in front of you, you take it. Pace has done this in the past, and I think he has shown it is the right approach.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Psssttt.....we didn’t get 2019 draft ammunition forHoward

No, but it makes you a bit more comfortable with shedding a 4th next year (since we are likely getting an additional 4th round comp) , or even a 2nd (having an extra one from the Raiders) knowing you have an additional draft pick to work with next year. Say for example. I could see Pace bundling one pick this year with another one next year to move up.