Spring Training Catch All Thread

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we get some spring training discussion lets keep it all in this thread.

Does not look like we will see much of Carson Fulmer.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am expecting a good year all around for Tyler Saladino. Through his history as a ball player, in his first performances at a higher level of ball he struggles then adapts. This is what I think will happen to him this year. He will figure things out.we will see how this all plays out but I like this guy a lot as a prospect.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently the Sox are active in discussions about Carlos Gonzales. Putting this guy in the middle of the line-up would be excellent and would immediately vault them into serious play-off competition.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Carson is going to get a softer treatment than guys like Rodon and Sale. They need to figure out if he's going to be a starter or a reliever. Barring injury, I am not expecting to see him up until after Jul 31 at the earliest.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I heard yesterday that with three more homers the White Sox have hit 10 in total by ten different people. It's Arizona and all, but it's still nice to hear.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
THus far in spring training it look promising both in the offense and the pitching. Rodon really looks like he is ready to settle in as a bonafied major league starting pitcher. I am hopeful that they can also find a couple of good right handed starters who can be depended on to solidify the rotation.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'd really like to see Latos and Johnson go with the big club thru the entire ST so we can see what we can as to what they could offer to the team during the regular season.

I'm also in need of a Sale fix. March 19th can't get here soon enough.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looks like there could be another candidate for the DH duty and he is Davidson who is having a great spring. There was a nice article recently about the work that he has been doing with Stephenson opening up his stance and tracking the ball with both eyes rather than the closed stance which he had been using. The guy has legit power and has apparently cut down his strike outs in a major way:)

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting stuff about Danks. If he performs this year that would be huge.

Danks throws 6 shutout innings, White Sox stop Padres 6-1
Sports Network Mar 23, 2016 5:46 PM
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) Dioner Navarro tipped John Danks off to a problem. Since then, the Chicago White Sox left-hander has done just fine.

Danks threw six shutout innings for his second consecutive scoreless outing, and Avisail Garcia homered to help the White Sox defeat the San Diego Padres 6-1 on Wednesday.

Navarro, signed in the offseason to bolster Chicago's catching corps, told Danks that he was tipping his pitches.

''He told me exactly what I was doing. We fixed it and it hasn't been an issue since,'' Danks said.

The well-traveled Navarro has a .423 average (11 for 26) with three homers in his career against Danks. But he said he just noticed the pitch-tipping a couple of starts ago.

''That's my job, as a catcher, to get to know my guys and try to help them out as much as I can,'' Navarro said. ''It makes me a little proud that he took notice and worked on it.''

Garcia's homer was his third in the Cactus League. He also drove in another run in the fifth and has 14 RBIs this spring.

David Robertson threw a clean seventh for Chicago, striking out one. The Padres' Fernando Rodney allowed two runs in a seventh inning that included three hits, a wild pitch and a balk.

Non-roster shortstop Tim Anderson, the White Sox's No. 1 pick in 2013, doubled in a run in the eighth.

STARTING TIME

Padres: Drew Pomeranz, in his first start of the spring, gave up just one hit - Garcia's home run. The left-hander pitched four innings. He walked one, hit a batter and struck out four.

He's in the mix for a rotation spot. Pomeranz made nine starts with Oakland last season, but appeared in a career-high 53 games last season.

White Sox: Danks, coming off five scoreless innings against the Chicago Cubs on Friday, gave up seven hits, walked one and struck out six.

''I'm definitely feeling ready for the season to start. Ready to play some games that count,'' the lefty said.

''I'm just trying to go out and get better, that's all I'm focused on right now,'' he said.

MLBPA VISIT

MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark spoke with the White Sox on Wednesday morning as part of his regular tour of spring training camps.

Clark said the players union has been monitoring the situation surrounding Adam LaRoche. When asked if a grievance had been filed, Clark said, ''Even if there was, I wouldn't suggest to you that there had been.''

LaRoche retired last week, saying he'd rather do that than limit the amount of time his 14-year-old son spent in the clubhouse.

Clark just returned from Havana where the Tampa Bay Rays played the Cuban national team on Tuesday. He talked to White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu on Wednesday; the two were part of a United States delegation that traveled to Cuba in December.

''Jose's as good as they get,'' Clark said. ''To see the respect and admiration he has for Cuba, and Cuba for him, our game is better for Jose being here.''

TRAINER'S ROOM

White Sox: Abreu fouled a pitch off his foot in Tuesday's game, but manager Robin Ventura said Wednesday was already a scheduled day off for the first baseman.

NEXT

Padres: Colin Rea gets the start against the Diamondbacks Thursday in Peoria.

White Sox: Chris Sale makes his second Cactus League start against the Angels in Glendale.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
How's everyone been? Haven't been on here in a long time.

I'm excited for this season. The only things that have me skeptical are Latos and not getting another hitter for the 5 spot.

I predicted 87-75. CY Young for Sale and MVP for Abreu.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's only ST, but very encouraging that the White Sox hit more home runs than any team this year. Hopefully much of that comes up North with them.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most in ST this year. Pitching has been pretty good also. Lets hope it translates into the season.

This is one of those years I have no expectations. I am done being optimistic. I will just let it play out and see what happens.