Story time, a SV Sandy Bottoms voyage.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Story time.

I dont claim to be an expert sailor and am bound to miss something from time to time that would make a salty sailor shake their head at me. This time it was tide flow at an inlet.

My wife and I were starting our first multi day sail from Pensacola Florida to Tampa Bay. It should take us about 42 hrs to sail a little over 300 miles. We actually choose a weather window that would start with 3 ft seas for the first 6 hours and then reduce to 1ft seas. Sounded like a comfortable sail even if we would have to motor a lot due to lite winds.

So imagine my surprise when leaving Pensacola Harbor when we encountered 6 ft standing waves in the channel leaving the inlet! The boat was hopping and popping. The bows were rising up only to plunge into the next wave. It was hectic, it was violent and it was avoidable. A strong outgoing tide from a big bay being forced through a funnel ( inlet channel in this case) confronted with by a strong inbound wind can cause large “standing” waves.

Lesson learned. Add check tide flows for inlets to departure checklist.

Evidently one of the two ropes holding the the dinghy up in the air was chafed during that episode. We were about 30 miles offshore at 11 pm when there was a loud crash crash from the back of our boat. Generally loud crashing noises are a bad thing and this was no exception. The dinghy was suspended by the bow while the aft end was dragging in the water. The Bimini top was half ripped off and twisted. We put the engines to idle and stated to drift while trying to recover the dingy. We got the dinghy dropped entirely into the water and I boarded it while My wife played out enough slack to keep it from slamming into our boat.

Its dark. No land in sight. Im bobbing in a dinghy. I can smell fuel. Fun. Luckily my wife knows how to tie proper knots and kept me from floating away into the darkness.

1st order of business- bail it out. Easy.

Second. Untangle the Bimini. Not easy. It was twisted under the dinghy and still attached on the other. My wife kept getting me tools and reeling me in to transfer of said tools from boat to dinghy. Sounds easy, not so much.

With the Bimini removed and transferred to the boat the last order on business was to decide how to attach the dinghy to the boat. The blocks disappeared to Davey Jones locker when the rope broke so using the davits to suspend it was out of the question. The simplest solution was to tow it. We attached two lines from the stern of our boat to the dinghy and towed behind our boat for about 260 miles.

One note about towing a heavy dinghy. It slows you down and we lost about 1.5 knots in speed. Thats a lot when you only move at 5-9 knots. It turned our trip into a 50 hour sail instead of a 42 hour cruise.

The rest of the trip was great. With many visits from dolphin pods, clear skies and sunny weather. At one point while crossing we were 50 miles from land and 4 little birds showed up. These weren’t seagulls but little sparrows or finches or whatever. Two ventured in our open windows and allowed me to hand catch them and relocate them outside. In the morning we saw the evidence that they had stayed on our boat all night. Feeling lite again they took off in the morning migrating to where ever.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Story time.

I dont claim to be an expert sailor and am bound to miss something from time to time that would make a salty sailor shake their head at me. This time it was tide flow at an inlet.

My wife and I were starting our first multi day sail from Pensacola Florida to Tampa Bay. It should take us about 42 hrs to sail a little over 300 miles. We actually choose a weather window that would start with 3 ft seas for the first 6 hours and then reduce to 1ft seas. Sounded like a comfortable sail even if we would have to motor a lot due to lite winds.

So imagine my surprise when leaving Pensacola Harbor when we encountered 6 ft standing waves in the channel leaving the inlet! The boat was hopping and popping. The bows were rising up only to plunge into the next wave. It was hectic, it was violent and it was avoidable. A strong outgoing tide from a big bay being forced through a funnel ( inlet channel in this case) confronted with by a strong inbound wind can cause large “standing” waves.

Lesson learned. Add check tide flows for inlets to departure checklist.

Evidently one of the two ropes holding the the dinghy up in the air was chafed during that episode. We were about 30 miles offshore at 11 pm when there was a loud crash crash from the back of our boat. Generally loud crashing noises are a bad thing and this was no exception. The dinghy was suspended by the bow while the aft end was dragging in the water. The Bimini top was half ripped off and twisted. We put the engines to idle and stated to drift while trying to recover the dingy. We got the dinghy dropped entirely into the water and I boarded it while My wife played out enough slack to keep it from slamming into our boat.

Its dark. No land in sight. Im bobbing in a dinghy. I can smell fuel. Fun. Luckily my wife knows how to tie proper knots and kept me from floating away into the darkness.

1st order of business- bail it out. Easy.

Second. Untangle the Bimini. Not easy. It was twisted under the dinghy and still attached on the other. My wife kept getting me tools and reeling me in to transfer of said tools from boat to dinghy. Sounds easy, not so much.

With the Bimini removed and transferred to the boat the last order on business was to decide how to attach the dinghy to the boat. The blocks disappeared to Davey Jones locker when the rope broke so using the davits to suspend it was out of the question. The simplest solution was to tow it. We attached two lines from the stern of our boat to the dinghy and towed behind our boat for about 260 miles.

One note about towing a heavy dinghy. It slows you down and we lost about 1.5 knots in speed. Thats a lot when you only move at 5-9 knots. It turned our trip into a 50 hour sail instead of a 42 hour cruise.

The rest of the trip was great. With many visits from dolphin pods, clear skies and sunny weather. At one point while crossing we were 50 miles from land and 4 little birds showed up. These weren’t seagulls but little sparrows or finches or whatever. Two ventured in our open windows and allowed me to hand catch them and relocate them outside. In the morning we saw the evidence that they had stayed on our boat all night. Feeling lite again they took off in the morning migrating to where ever.
glad yuns are safe.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know what to say to this because it's so technical in an area I know nothing about but you've been such a long time, awesome poster. So, I'll just say this: You are living your best life and it sounds freaking incredible! Catch a huge fish and post a pic! Then you'll have all the resident CCS Top Chefs (myself included) talk about how to cook it!

Cheers!

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know what to say to this because it's so technical in an area I know nothing about but you've been such a long time, awesome poster. So, I'll just say this: You are living your best life and it sounds freaking incredible! Catch a huge fish and post a pic! Then you'll have all the resident CCS Top Chefs (myself included) talk about how to cook it!

Cheers!

That is a hell of a compliment, thanks!

Fish are next on the list of things to do!

Reactions: DC

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I caught a Spanish mackerel today. How do you recommend cooking and preparing it?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Spanish you say, paella! First catch some shrimp, and chorizo...

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice one, SB! Shit looks so fresh I'd make sushi out of it, lol!

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Where is the part where the Pirates board the boat and steal your gold then set you adrift across the Pacific?

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice one, SB! Shit looks so fresh I'd make sushi out of it, lol!

I never even thought about something sushi haha. I love sushi!

My Wife butter poached it with lemon juice. It was really good. 1/2 of the fish and rice was plenty for one meal.

Where is the part where the Pirates board the boat and steal your gold then set you adrift across the Pacific?

Book 7

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Spanish you say, paella! First catch some shrimp, and chorizo...
I live in the midwest so my knowledge about seafood is somewhat limited. I had no idea you could catch chorizo in the ocean!

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I live in the midwest so my knowledge about seafood is somewhat limited. I had no idea you could catch chorizo in the ocean!

Using the right bait you can catch pretty much anything. Old boots, chorizo, shrimp, license plates, corn, the list goes on, don't kid yourself.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Using the right bait you can catch pretty much anything. Old boots, chorizo, shrimp, license plates, corn, the list goes on, don't kid yourself.

I often catch fisch using kidnapped political candidates as bait