Stranger Things (Vol. Season 4 Trailer?)

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Its the 80s...either getting maced or on crack.....pick one.

Or his parents are white...

121010alex-karras1.jpg

conradbain.jpg

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the best show that encapsulates the spooky/creepy/horror genre from the late 70s to the mid 80s.
It's taking the intensity of Alien, soundtrack of Carpenter films, spookiness of Stephen King, the friendship of the Goonies and packs a punch that I have never seen and executed before. Television has now surpassed film, and the medium of telling an arc in 8-10 episodes is the way to watch these stories.

10/10

First time I watched season 1, I loved it. Tried to watch again recently and it didn't fly. Didn't get through 2 episodes.

The show is like junk food. It is a derivative compilation. No new ideas, every component of the show is familiar. Everything about is competent, but nothing is remarkable. Like junk food or Olive Garden. Can be fun to binge, but no real substance and when you go back, you realize how kinda hollow it is.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The show is supposed to be an homage of the 80s and the movies in it.

Also, everything has been done. It’s just the stories are told in different ways.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
First time I watched season 1, I loved it. Tried to watch again recently and it didn't fly. Didn't get through 2 episodes.

The show is like junk food. It is a derivative compilation. No new ideas, every component of the show is familiar. Everything about is competent, but nothing is remarkable. Like junk food or Olive Garden. Can be fun to binge, but no real substance and when you go back, you realize how kinda hollow it is.

All hat, no cattle. I agree. Fun the first time through because of the how it's stylized and the nostalgia, really boring on rewatch.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The show is supposed to be an homage of the 80s and the movies in it.

I did find the "80s nostalgia" a little too thick myself. Even the 80s did not feel that 80s.

As a fan of television like the X-Files, older movies by Spielberg or books by Stephen King...I had fun watching Season One, but never really found the ambition to watch Season Two just because I felt like one season was enough "homage" for me.

Maybe when they jump to the 90s I will check back in for that nostalgia fix.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Script writers are back. Season 1 was the tits. Season 2 was alright. Season 3 I think will be the tits again

Fun fact: The show was never suppose to be a continuing story. It was suppose to be different stories, but it was so huge it became a continuing story.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fun fact: The show was never suppose to be a continuing story. It was suppose to be different stories, but it was so huge it became a continuing story.

Too bad...I may have come back to the show with that format. They could have even picked a different 20th Century decade for each season and milked that nostalgia factor dry.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I did find the "80s nostalgia" a little too thick myself. Even the 80s did not feel that 80s.

As a fan of television like the X-Files, older movies by Spielberg or books by Stephen King...I had fun watching Season One, but never really found the ambition to watch Season Two just because I felt like one season was enough "homage" for me.

Maybe when they jump to the 90s I will check back in for that nostalgia fix.

I'm finding that now that I'm old enough to have lived through "nostalgic" periods being portrayed in movies and on TV, that when people who weren't really a part of the period in question try to recreate it, they fail miserably. Trying for too much detail, it comes off unnatural, and forced.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm finding that now that I'm old enough to have lived through "nostalgic" periods being portrayed in movies and on TV, that when people who weren't really a part of the period in question try to recreate it, they fail miserably. Trying for too much detail, it comes off unnatural, and forced.

The 80s nostalgia wave that kicked off a few years back was my first good taste of it. "Too much detail" is exactly what kinda bugged me about that show and what I meant by "even the 80s weren't that 80s".

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, fist season was at its best when it was genuinely creepy. Lots of tention. By the second season, they had broke the seal on the monster or whatever, and it was all gone. Just kind of blah

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Spoken like a guy who didn't really live through the 80's. Did you do cocaine? Obviously not.

I'm not sure what people think is "forced" in the show in terms of 80's references. I thought it was all spot-on, especially the opening credits music and titles.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Spoken like a guy who didn't really live through the 80's. Did you do cocaine? Obviously not.

I'm not sure what people think is "forced" in the show in terms of 80's references. I thought it was all spot-on, especially the opening credits music and titles.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

1.) Define "lived through the 80s". I turned 18 in 1989...so cocaine did not find its way in front of me until the early 90s.

2.) I would not use the word "forced" myself, but seeing kids playing D&D in Masters of the Universe tees while ingesting Eggo waffles and Tab colas was just like "Okay...I get it. It's the 80s!" Maybe my 80s experience was just not 80s enough?

3) As a huge synth junkie...the score is my absolute favorite thing about the show and am very thankful to the creators for kicking off another Synth Wave renaissance recently.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
2.) I would not use the word "forced" myself, but seeing kids playing D&D in Masters of the Universe tees while ingesting Eggo waffles and Tab colas was just like "Okay...I get it. It's the 80s!" Maybe my 80s experience was just not 80s enough?

Fair enough. All of it was real to me. D&D was a populist movement before Nintendo...not sure if anyone under 21 even plays D&D any more. Its hard to explain the concept and experience of a video arcade people who never lived through it. A plain brick building that was dimly lit, and when you open the door its a mixture of electronic beeping sounds and stagnant air.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It is among the greatest opening credits of all time.