CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Amazing stuff...

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Can't wait for that upgrade, I have an S and an X each with auto-pilot and hopefully this newest version can be downloaded to the cars in their monthly software updates.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Can't wait for that upgrade, I have an S and an X each with auto-pilot and hopefully this newest version can be downloaded to the cars in their monthly software updates.

I don't know anything about this, so forgive my ignorance...but is all of this purely software driven? Or are there additional hardware upgrades needed as well (e.g. improved sensors, etc)?

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
The Teslas don't require maintenance other than replacing tires, that was a huge selling point to me - never have to stop in a gas station or drop the car off for maintenance/service. I have 2 charging stations in my garage and IIRC each of the batteries will carry about a 310 mile driving distance per charge.

All updates to the car arrive in the form of a monthly software drops, similar to what Apple does with its devices. When they push their software downloads to the car's tablet/screen, they provide a description of the added/changed features enclosed and if I want them I schedule a time for the download to occur (overnight).

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Is it true that right now with the auto driving mode you have to still have your hands on the wheel?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That is amazing. I think it would be difficult to sit in the drivers seat and not actually drive. Can you sit in the back seat while it drives for you? lol

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Is it true that right now with the auto driving mode you have to still have your hands on the wheel?

Every 15-30 seconds. My neighbors is at like 18 seconds currently. You have to touch the wheel. The guy in this video never touched the wheel though.

My neighbor says that on some back roads at night, his Tesla could very well blow through a 4 way stop- It picks up the fluorescent paint on the road, so the older the road, the car will not notice certain rds, streets etc.

IMO, this is all going to get perfected and my grandchildren will ask me what it was like to actually drive the car.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Every 15-30 seconds. My neighbors is at like 18 seconds currently. You have to touch the wheel. The guy in this video never touched the wheel though.

My neighbor says that on some back roads at night, his Tesla could very well blow through a 4 way stop- It picks up the fluorescent paint on the road, so the older the road, the car will not notice certain rds, streets etc.

IMO, this is all going to get perfected and my grandchildren will ask me what it was like to actually drive the car.

They will start producing them without steering wheels and pretty soon it will be like a mini living room.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is pretty awesome, but I still wouldn't trust it haha

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's weird to think about, but I will likely always own my own car and drive. Same with most of the ppl in this thread. My unborn kids tho? They may never drive a day in their life or own a car.