The Alshon Donk

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Last week (week 8), we saw a very rare occurrence: Cutler was able to hit his receiver on a deep pass, in full stride. And talk about accurate. The throw was pin-point.

The problem?

The receiver didn't turn around. And the ball, somehow, made it through the defenders and hit him in the head.

The play came on second down in the 2nd quarter.

The Vikings were in cover-2 and sent a LB on a blitz. The Blitz was only partially slowed down.

The open question, is why this wasn't a completed pass. Was Alshon being lazy and gave up on the play? Or was Jay throwing into double coverage, and with Alshon not being the primary, he thought "there's no way he's throwing it my way".

I'll let the film tell the story. Before I go into it, there were a few pre-snap adjustments made where Jay called out the Blitzing LB. But no audible. So the reality is we don't need a lot of images to tell the story:

Image 1: this is right after Jay released the ball. The yellow circle represents Alshon who is in blanket coverage. The Purple circle shows the safety over the top who is breaking on the throw. The red circle is (best I can tell) where the ball is. And the Orange circle is the actual open receiver....

1z5rsd5.png

Image 2: Same image from the end-zone camera. Unfortunately, in this image, you actually can't see Alshon. It almost looks like the throw is going to Royal. But that's just the weird angle. Again, you can see Cutler is definitely under pressure from the blitz. You can also still see the actual open receiver (I'm not sure who that actually is as the # is never in focus)

2qs1aoy.png

Image 3: This is a millisecond before it hits Alshon in the head...

1z3m5o1.png

Again, it's hard to say that Alshon gave up on the play as he was running a full sprint. However, why he didn't look back is my question. Did he feel because the coverage was so tight on him, and there was help over the top, that there is no way Jay would try to fit it in? Or did he just not "finish".

At the end of the day, there are only 2 things that are facts:

1) Jay did not throw to or hit the "open" receiver.

2) Jay did hit the covered receiver in a tight window where the receiver should have caught it.

Thoughts?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Love the play. Jeffery could not have looked worse.

Caps two TD passes Jeffery should have caught in the 1st & 2nd qtr.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

You love that we did not complete the pass/score?

Odd for a Bears fan to say.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Anytime I see a ball hit a receiver on the helmet, between the numbers, or directly into his hands, I put that on the receiver. It doesn't matter if someone was more open than him. He should've been ready for the ball.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Odd. Firstly I don't know how you could assume the ball would have been a TD since it certainly wasn't leading Alshon to where he could continue running full speed. Looks like it was intended to be a back shoulder throw and they just weren't on the same page but no way he scores when he'd have to stop and turn around to make the catch with 2 defenders right on him. Think Alshon was thinking he's clearing things out for a play underneath.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Anytime I see a ball hit a receiver on the helmet, between the numbers, or directly into his hands, I put that on the receiver. It doesn't matter if someone was more open than him. He should've been ready for the ball.

Which is why this one is up for debate.

As a receiver, you generally have to run your route and be ready for the pass. Alshon clearly ran the route, but was not ready for the pass.

Was that because he felt that with the entire DB field dropping back into deep coverage and him not being the primary, that there is no way Jay would target him and should hit the guy underneath that was opened up by the two guys running deep routes?

Keep in mind down and distance...

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Odd. Firstly I don't know how you could assume the ball would have been a TD since it certainly wasn't leading Alshon to where he could continue running full speed. Looks like it was intended to be a back shoulder throw and they just weren't on the same page but no way he scores when he'd have to stop and turn around to make the catch with 2 defenders right on him. Think Alshon was thinking he's clearing things out for a play underneath.

You think this becssue you actually understand football... Most will just blame Alshon.

and if the ball was picked off, Alshon would be to blame by those who assume the play call had him as a primary...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Not a TD for that play...

In the first possession, he reacted late on the catchable endzone pass. Then he let the ball bounce off his chest in an early 2nd qtr endzone pass.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shouldn't a true number one receiver think they could beat double coverage? I doubt this happens to many. Are we really to the point where a good throw by Cutler is going to be dissected because of coverage, even though the throw made it through the window? How can this be on anyone but Jeffery?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Which is why this one is up for debate.

As a receiver, you generally have to run your route and be ready for the pass. Alshon clearly ran the route, but was not ready for the pass.

Was that because he felt that with the entire DB field dropping back into deep coverage and him not being the primary, that there is no way Jay would target him and should hit the guy underneath that was opened up by the two guys running deep routes?

Keep in mind down and distance...
it was 2nd down and what?

BP348

Liked Posts:
There's always plenty of stuff to blame on JC. This play isn't one of them. AJ wants big time #1 receiver money and he lets a pass hit him in the back of the head. Another guy being "more open" doesn't matter, this was all on AJ.

Does anyone else think that Brandon Marshall or Jordy Nelson would let a pass like this hit them in the back of the head, even in tight coverage? Not a chance!!

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like how no matter what you do, you have to throw jabs at Cutler.

All you likely have is 8 more meaningless games with him. I'm looking forward to your shitposts when he's officially no longer a Bear.

mecha

Liked Posts:
both the people here at CCS and Alshon Jeffery himself wanted Jeffery to receive more targets.

are you fucking with me?

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure who's fault it was, but it was a perfect example of Jay's tenure here.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
A perfect example of AJ's time here as well. Seems like every game he goes through the motions until he screws up, has his internal "man I effed that up...better get me $hit together, and then focuses to play great.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you purposely show snaps that make it look worse for Jay than it is? [video=youtube;vqzpjbs9wz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzpjbs9wz0[/video]
That crossing route was covered at an initial read and his man sloughs off when reading Jays eyes. A good QB can divert coverage with his eyes and we know Jay is not that guy but that under route was not wide open off the snap. Jay under threw the ball to Jeffery by about a yard. Jeffery didn't turn because the ball was thrown early and pressure screwed the timing. He was not in a position to look back and get separation at the same time.

Some plays just don't work out and are not necessarily somebodies fault. Jay took a shot and it didn't work out. BFD. If I absolutely had to blame anyone for a failed play, it would be Langford. His failed block necessitated onloading quickly.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Shouldn't a true number one receiver think they could beat double coverage? I doubt this happens to many. Are we really to the point where a good throw by Cutler is going to be dissected because of coverage, even though the throw made it through the window? How can this be on anyone but Jeffery?

It's Mongo, it has to be on Cutler.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Do you purposely show snaps that make it look worse for Jay than it is? [video=youtube;vqzpjbs9wz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzpjbs9wz0[/video]
That crossing route was covered at an initial read and his man sloughs off when reading Jays eyes. A good QB can divert coverage with his eyes and we know Jay is not that guy but that under route was not wide open off the snap. Jay under threw the ball to Jeffery by about a yard. Jeffery didn't turn because the ball was thrown early and pressure screwed the timing. He was not in a position to look back and get separation at the same time.

Some plays just don't work out and are not necessarily somebodies fault. Jay took a shot and it didn't work out. BFD. If I absolutely had to blame anyone for a failed play, it would be Langford. His failed block necessitated onloading quickly.
This!!!! Cutler didnt throw to Meredith as his route had been covered atthe start. Pressure cam and he went to his safety blanket Jeffery. Jeffery was starting the 45 degree out cut of his route and would have been turning to locat the ball soon, did not expect the ball that quick as it was not in the play design. Basing off the routes ran, Jeffery was option 3 on that play. I dont blame anyone really on that play, just a play where the timing was off.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Perfect throw to a WR who didn't look while the third read was open. Cut was under pressure and threw it to the guy he trusts the most.

Nothing to see here, move along.