Thought this was a different donk. NM

xRpsO8.gif

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Shouldn't a true number one receiver think they could beat double coverage? I doubt this happens to many. Are we really to the point where a good throw by Cutler is going to be dissected because of coverage, even though the throw made it through the window? How can this be on anyone but Jeffery?

A real QB never throws into tight windows despite all QB's doing this.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
never saw Mongo do any all-22s when Hoyer was missing wide open Alshon and Howard...but of all the plays to blame Cutler on, this one? really?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
never saw Mongo do any all-22s when Hoyer was missing wide open Alshon and Howard...but of all the plays to blame Cutler on, this one? really?

Mongo already explained his thoughtful reasoning on why Hoyer could never hit Alshon beyond 10 yards. It's because the system dictates that he doesn't throw to Alshon if he goes down field or especially if he is in the end zone. The fact Cutler tried to target Alshon in the end zone on multiple occasion is just another example of him going rogue

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This!!!! Cutler didnt throw to Meredith as his route had been covered atthe start. Pressure cam and he went to his safety blanket Jeffery. Jeffery was starting the 45 degree out cut of his route and would have been turning to locat the ball soon, did not expect the ball that quick as it was not in the play design. Basing off the routes ran, Jeffery was option 3 on that play. I dont blame anyone really on that play, just a play where the timing was off.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Yeah we talked about this during and after the game on here and had some fun with it but it seems to me like two guys were about to hit Cutler so he threw it early instead of taking the sack so nobody at fault on this play.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

It is Mongo so there's that.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This whole thread is just confirmation bias on both sides of the debate.

You can side with the OP's argument that Cutler did not throw to the proper receiver and should've settle for the underneath WR.

But there's also an argument that since he quite literally "hit" his guy with the pass, it's on the WR to make the catch even if he's not the primary option.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fault really is on Jeffrey. He is paid to catch the football and to catch the ball, you need to look for the ball. DONK!

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
This whole thread is just confirmation bias on both sides of the debate.

You can side with the OP's argument that Cutler did not throw to the proper receiver and should've settle for the underneath WR.

But there's also an argument that since he quite literally "hit" his guy with the pass, it's on the WR to make the catch even if he's not the primary option.

Correct.

And more to the point, it highlights the problem with Cutler. Again, it's a given he's under pressure. So there was really only two options:

1) Hit the "safe" open underneath receiver - which probably nets us a first down.
2) Take a "risk" and Throw the ball up and hope that it's a perfect throw and that our guy comes down with it.

Cutler chose option 2. Which is what he has done throughout his career. Without throwing the ball perfectly, the risk of trying to hit a receiver 25 yards down the field is an int.

And again, he threw the ball perfectly - Although, before he should have as the receiver clearly wasn't looking for the ball yet.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Wow, great in-depth analysis on coverage and reads on a ball that's over half-way and 'milliseconds' to the receiver. Typically this works better when you look at that stuff before the ball is thrown so you can actually see the reads..

Can we cut back to the pre-snap all-22 image? I bet the defense has blanket coverage on all our receivers and Jay has a clean pocket to step into and Jay STILL throws the ball!! Great thread. A+.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wait. So under pressure, Jay threads the needle, and this is somehow Jays fault?

I'm waiting for the Thread where someone blames Jay for Trump winning the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jay voted for Trump. Number 41 made his break late on that throw but like others said it seemed like every one wasn't on the same page and the pressure didn't help

mecha

Liked Posts:
Jay Cutler doesn't vaccinate his kids. this TRUMPS anything that could potentially be or not be his failure on the field as a human being.

you know, the people that are like "he sucks as a QB, but he seems like a decent human being" ? YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Correct.

And more to the point, it highlights the problem with Cutler. Again, it's a given he's under pressure. So there was really only two options:

1) Hit the "safe" open underneath receiver - which probably nets us a first down.
2) Take a "risk" and Throw the ball up and hope that it's a perfect throw and that our guy comes down with it.

Cutler chose option 2. Which is what he has done throughout his career. Without throwing the ball perfectly, the risk of trying to hit a receiver 25 yards down the field is an int.

And again, he threw the ball perfectly - Although, before he should have as the receiver clearly wasn't looking for the ball yet.
I see what you're saying about the open receiver who would have had the 1st down. Assuming these game-shots were as clear to Cutler at the time, it was clearly the safer play to get the 1st down.

However, even if this was all clear to Jay at the time, the Jeffery reception is the better reception in all cases. We can safely assume it would have been 30-yard reception at the 20 yardline had Jeffery turned.

I mean, comon, Jeffery is almost 30 yards down the field when he gets hit the helmet. I'm finding it hard to believe anyone suggest he shouldn't have been looking back by then.

But, we're talking about Cutler's choice. Looking over the play, I don't know if I'd say this was an extremely risky pass to Alshon Jeffery, just substantially riskier than the shorter pass we think appeared very open to Cutler. I'm not going to assume Cutler knew Jeffery would not looking for the pass.

I mean, you don't always win by throwing the safest pass every down. I think I want Cutler to throw it down field, knowing it's inherently riskier. He appears to be making better decisions (IE much less stupid interceptions). I don't know that this was a worse decision. (I know Jay threw a would-be-intercept that Jeffery broke up; I'm talking overall this year.)