The Big 3

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah Iso Joe is tearing up the league. The guy could legitimately still find a spot in the league if he wanted to. Perhaps as the Big 3 becomes more popular some of the older NBA players will start heading over. I could easily see Vince Carter playing in the Big 3.

I thought Pargo was a coach on on the DLeague Bulls, but either way cool. He's a streaky shooter but when he hits he really hits.
Maybe I heard them wrong on the telecast, I thought they said Pargo was a coach for the blazers, but maybe they said some form of windy city bulls. Wiki don't lie...

My think right now that's interesting is... where is the money coming from? They obviously have enough backing that they are getting the tv deal, but they switched from fox to CBS now, unless I'm imagining it having been on fox. They kept Jimmy Jackson and for some god awful reason Michael Rappaport. But it doesn't seem to really be growing. They keep messing with the logistics, and now are going to two games in one location on Saturday and two in another on sunday, but the places are empty. And you think well ok they're struggle but just need to make it through the lean years, then boom they expand to more teams, which is more mouths to feed and I have yet to find a single piece of merchandise out in the wild.

They have a real ownership problem. None of these locations have any connections to the teams. People watching only have allegiance to root for a team that has a player that maybe they were once connected two on it. So they aren't as invested because one game they could be rooting against Trilogy, and the next game they could love them, just for no real reason other than a guy on one of the teams. They roll into boston and go, ok hey boston come out and watch these games because you are going to root for the Power because a guy you used to like is on the team. Meh... I find myself just as likely to root against a team that has a player I didn't like, like boooo Enemies, Royce White is a bitch, and I can't root for Bivouac because Josh Smith sucks. I could still root for those teams in the right situation I guess? Because there is no real emotional tie in to any of the teams, it's more like just a circus passing through town. d

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe I heard them wrong on the telecast, I thought they said Pargo was a coach for the blazers, but maybe they said some form of windy city bulls. Wiki don't lie...

My think right now that's interesting is... where is the money coming from? They obviously have enough backing that they are getting the tv deal, but they switched from fox to CBS now, unless I'm imagining it having been on fox. They kept Jimmy Jackson and for some god awful reason Michael Rappaport. But it doesn't seem to really be growing. They keep messing with the logistics, and now are going to two games in one location on Saturday and two in another on sunday, but the places are empty. And you think well ok they're struggle but just need to make it through the lean years, then boom they expand to more teams, which is more mouths to feed and I have yet to find a single piece of merchandise out in the wild.

They have a real ownership problem. None of these locations have any connections to the teams. People watching only have allegiance to root for a team that has a player that maybe they were once connected two on it. So they aren't as invested because one game they could be rooting against Trilogy, and the next game they could love them, just for no real reason other than a guy on one of the teams. They roll into boston and go, ok hey boston come out and watch these games because you are going to root for the Power because a guy you used to like is on the team. Meh... I find myself just as likely to root against a team that has a player I didn't like, like boooo Enemies, Royce White is a bitch, and I can't root for Bivouac because Josh Smith sucks. I could still root for those teams in the right situation I guess? Because there is no real emotional tie in to any of the teams, it's more like just a circus passing through town. d
Yeah I see what you mean. There's no "hometown team" ever, just players who might've played for that team or maybe that player is originally from that area. Definitely has that travelling circus type of feel.

Not sure if they're making any more money by splitting the weekend between two different venues. Obviously each place is less full, but maybe overall they sell more tickets? There could be something behind the scenes we're not seeing to help generate revenue as well. They do have merch, found here: https://store.big3.com/store/

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah I see what you mean. There's no "hometown team" ever, just players who might've played for that team or maybe that player is originally from that area. Definitely has that travelling circus type of feel.

Not sure if they're making any more money by splitting the weekend between two different venues. Obviously each place is less full, but maybe overall they sell more tickets? There could be something behind the scenes we're not seeing to help generate revenue as well. They do have merch, found here: https://store.big3.com/store/
Yeah, and what if that star guy they are relying on when they hit that city isn't actually liked by that city. hah.

I don't know how the venue split is helping other than visibility, which I agree it probably worth it, but they said they don't have 2 setups, so the logistics and cost of immediately breaking it down and moving it to the new venue and immediately setting up for the next day has to eat a lot of the profits. Plus it limits them to locations that are close enough traveling to do this. So you'll not be able to do an east coast west coast game on the same day. What happens if one of the trucks breaks down in route is what is going to be interesting. What if they don't get into the second venue in time and things get delayed and throw off the TV schedule.

Oh I know they have merch, you can't get away from the "Cube" commercial telling you to go buy his shit or else. But none of it is really worth a shit because of the weird names and graphic style they decided to go with, more street ball than professional league, and I've not seen any of it out in the wild so I don't know who's buying it. Even the celebrities they are bribing to come to this games and be seen aren't wearing it, they're all in street ware and NBA stuff.
Plus the store is trying to be an NBA priced store, who the fuck is going to spend 75 dollars on a W. Mamba BIG3 jersey? T-Shirts starting at $30... go fuck yourself.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, and what if that star guy they are relying on when they hit that city isn't actually liked by that city. hah.

I don't know how the venue split is helping other than visibility, which I agree it probably worth it, but they said they don't have 2 setups, so the logistics and cost of immediately breaking it down and moving it to the new venue and immediately setting up for the next day has to eat a lot of the profits. Plus it limits them to locations that are close enough traveling to do this. So you'll not be able to do an east coast west coast game on the same day. What happens if one of the trucks breaks down in route is what is going to be interesting. What if they don't get into the second venue in time and things get delayed and throw off the TV schedule.

Oh I know they have merch, you can't get away from the "Cube" commercial telling you to go buy his shit or else. But none of it is really worth a shit because of the weird names and graphic style they decided to go with, more street ball than professional league, and I've not seen any of it out in the wild so I don't know who's buying it. Even the celebrities they are bribing to come to this games and be seen aren't wearing it, they're all in street ware and NBA stuff.
Plus the store is trying to be an NBA priced store, who the fuck is going to spend 75 dollars on a W. Mamba BIG3 jersey? T-Shirts starting at $30... go fuck yourself.
lol fair points all around. No idea how they're making money...maybe they're not. But I find the league super entertaining so I'd like to see them not fold into nothingness.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
lol fair points all around. No idea how they're making money...maybe they're not. But I find the league super entertaining so I'd like to see them not fold into nothingness.
Yeah definitely, and realistically, they have to have thought going into this that a break even point may not even happen till year 5 or so, so they need to stick it out. I think the interesting dynamic hear is that the league is the true owner of all the teams, so we'll see how when it gets better how the league conspires with itself on some of these teams. No owners of individual teams like in the NBA, so maybe that's how they are making money?

While I do find this league pretty entertaining to watch at times with the right teams, I think they relied too heavily on an NBA branded style of game and not enough on the USA basketball 3x3 international style of game which is much faster and a lot more entertaining. There is no such thing as an ISO Joe in that game, which is good and bad as he's my favorite right now. Those games are so fast paced, and require so much all around skill it's just not going to work out for a lot of these older NBA big men so I get it. But 4 player teams in constant rotation with running clock and 12 second shot clock is fast paced and fun to watch. I wish the Big 3 didn't suffer so much from pace play, it's supposed to be much faster which is the point but they still find every opportunity to slow it down like an NBA game. Including commercial breaks and half times.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Triplets lose to Power. Great game. Joe Johnson and Magette were fun to watch. Mobley really does look like the real life Uncle Drew

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Catching up on Big 3 happenings...

Killer 3s beat out Power to advance to the championship game. Power definitely missed birdman and Mobley...ended up playing Jeremy Pargo a lot of minutes. Killer 3s got a good squad though. Former Bull CJ Watson doing good work for them. Hilariously Eddy Curry also has a chance to win a championship while doing nothing...again

Triplets beat out the 3 Headed Monsters...Joe Johnson is something else in this league

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To no one's surprise, Joe Johnson's Triplets win it all. Iso Joe clearly a step above everyone else in the Big 3 right now and clearly could still be on an NBA roster. Alan Anderson stepped up as well.

Credit to Stephen Jackson and the Killer 3's though, they're a pretty darn good squad.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To no one's surprise, Joe Johnson's Triplets win it all. Iso Joe clearly a step above everyone else in the Big 3 right now and clearly could still be on an NBA roster. Alan Anderson stepped up as well.

Credit to Stephen Jackson and the Killer 3's though, they're a pretty darn good squad.
He has tryouts with 3 teams. He would be killer on the bucks. Send him in just to get buckets

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He has tryouts with 3 teams. He would be killer on the bucks. Send him in just to get buckets
Dude can definitely still knock down some 3s. He ain't gonna show anyone up in iso like he did in the Big 3, but in the right role, he can definitely get NBA buckets