The Direction of the Team

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Let me start out by saying I am extremely happy with what the team has done on the defensive side of the ball this (and last) offseason:

1) McPhee
2) Dumping Shame
3) Dumping Brock Vareen
4) Porter
5) Goldman
6) Amos
7) Timu
8) Trevethan
9) Freeman
10) Got value for Bostic and Allen
11) Picked up Hicks (though not a game changer) he filled a hole on the line

I can kinda look the other way with the "intent" with McDonald. At least the team was trying to bring in a play-maker.

Then I look at the other side of the ball and I see a much much different picture being painted. Let's put aside "why" these things happened and focus on the overall pattern of what is happening:

1) Dumped Marshall for peanuts
2) Did not fix RT position in last off-season
3) Over-paid for Royal vs return
4) Drafted a WR with #1 pick that likely had a stress fracture - didn't play a snap in 2015
5) Dumped Bennett for peanuts
6) OC walked
7) Forced to move Long to RT in an emergency situation
8) Only viable G who could fill Longs position was Ducasse
9) Unable to agree to terms (so far) with Alshon
10) Let Forte walk
11) Promoted a guy who as never made a game-plan or called a play to OC
12) Let Miller walk to Fa, only to grab him back in desperation.
13) Grasu is our starting Center.

The way I see it, the team is is very very defensive focused. And while I am a strong advocate of building a top D, I disagree that doing so needs to be at the expense of the offense. The team needs balance.

I see the team taking on the persona of the HC and DC. I see the new OC - a guy who likely carries very little weight right now - as getting walked over or ignored.

I really hope that I'm wrong. But this is really starting to feel very familiar.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
4) Drafted a WR with #1 pick that likely had a stress fracture - didn't play a snap in 2015
6) OC walked
10) Let Forte walk

I know that I answered most of this in the Bennett thread but you never had a chance to offer a rebuttal because URBLOCK locked the thread(it wasn't urblock) but I disagree with your disdain for the offensive moves made.

1) It was unfortunate we traded marshall to begin with but if you havebt noticed each time he is traded to a new team his value has diminished

2) I agree they should have focused on the tackle position instead of moving Long

3) They didn't overpay for Royal and cant help if a player gets hurt

4) White didn't have that injury when we drafted him, stop making shit up

5) Again Bennett didn't want to be here so Pace got the best value for him at the time instead of out right releasing him

6) WE CANT STOP GASE IF HE WANTS TO GO TO ANOTHER TEAM AS A HC. stop making shit up

7) Look at #2

8) again look at #2

9) Bitch, are you serious? Do you think negotiations are just one sit down meeting?

10) Yeah, I would have at least offered a contract

11)While I am a little wary, coaches get promoted in house all the time. It's called consistency

12) How was in desperation? He was signed to the smallest TE deal in F.A lol

13) And?

Really mongo? You can do much better

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I saw the name of the poster and the thread title and my first thought was: "Shit's gonna get real now".

images

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Let me start out by saying I am extremely happy with what the team has done on the defensive side of the ball this (and last) offseason:

1) McPhee
2) Dumping Shame
3) Dumping Brock Vareen
4) Porter
5) Goldman
6) Amos
7) Timu
8) Trevethan
9) Freeman
10) Got value for Bostic and Allen
11) Picked up Hicks (though not a game changer) he filled a hole on the line

I can kinda look the other way with the "intent" with McDonald. At least the team was trying to bring in a play-maker.

Then I look at the other side of the ball and I see a much much different picture being painted. Let's put aside "why" these things happened and focus on the overall pattern of what is happening:

6) OC walked
10) Let Forte walk

The way I see it, the team is is very very defensive focused. And while I am a strong advocate of building a top D, I disagree that doing so needs to be at the expense of the offense. The team needs balance.

I see the team taking on the persona of the HC and DC. I see the new OC - a guy who likely carries very little weight right now - as getting walked over or ignored.

I really hope that I'm wrong. But this is really starting to feel very familiar.

4. It's a proven fact that White did not have any injury when drafted
6. OC didn't "walk", he got a damn head coaching job, which is the goal of every coordinator in the league NOT named LeBeau or Marinelli
9. Not wanting to pay a guy who missed 1/2 the season, top 7 WR money isn't a failure on the team's part
11. Loggains has experience as an NFL offensive coordinator and has most certainly called plays.
12. Two years, 12Mil isn't a desperation signing, especially considering what lesser TEs got
13. The offseason isn't over.

And yes, you are wrong. The OC won't get walked over and carried as much weight as Gase last year when it comes to Cutler's improvement.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I know that I answered most of this in the Bennett thread but you never had a chance to offer a rebuttal because URBLOCK locked the thread(it wasn't urblock) but I disagree with your disdain for the offensive moves made.

1) It was unfortunate we traded marshall to begin with but if you havebt noticed each time he is traded to a new team his value has diminished

2) I agree they should have focused on the tackle position instead of moving Long

3) They didn't overpay for Royal and cant help if a player gets hurt

4) White didn't have that injury when we drafted him, stop making shit up

5) Again Bennett didn't want to be here so Pace got the best value for him at the time instead of out right releasing him

6) WE CANT STOP GASE IF HE WANTS TO GO TO ANOTHER TEAM AS A HC. stop making shit up

7) Look at #2

8) again look at #2

9) Bitch, are you serious? Do you think negotiations are just one sit down meeting?

10) Yeah, I would have at least offered a contract

11)While I am a little wary, coaches get promoted in house all the time. It's called consistency

12) How was in desperation? He was signed to the smallest TE deal in F.A lol

13) And?

Really mongo? You can do much better

Thanks for responding civil.

Again, I said it in the OP. "Why" each occurred is not the point.

Are you happy with the ultmate outcome of each?

And are you happy with the overall direction of the O?

Cutler has lost weapons. The team has lost a valued lockerroom leader in Forte (and producer on the field).

As I have said over and over, I could care less about individual stats, player records, or personalities. I want the team to win.

Clearly the team is not ignoring offense. But is the O leadership,individual decisions, and the direction right?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're missing some moves on the offensive side and you are including things that have been fixed.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Some valid concerns Mongo but although defense will be favored on this team Fox isn't ignoring the offense like Lovie did. They knew Forte was gone and drafted Langford. We picked a WR first last year because BPA.

It will be interesting to see how they manage the QB situation with cutler aging.
Bottom line I feel fox/pace have plan for whole team not just half. D will get.preference but offense won't be the stepchild.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
6. OC didn't "walk", he got a damn head coaching job, which is the goal of every coordinator in the league NOT named LeBeau or Marinelli
9. Not wanting to pay a guy who missed 1/2 the season, top 7 WR money isn't a failure on the team's part
11. Loggains has experience as an NFL offensive coordinator and has most certainly called plays.
12. Two years, 12Mil isn't a desperation signing, especially considering what lesser TEs got

And yes, you are wrong. The OC won't get walked over and carried as much weight as Gase last year when it comes to Cutler's improvement.

see I didn't know loggians had oc experience. I'm sorry for goin full mongo

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for responding civil.

Again, I said it in the OP. "Why" each occurred is not the point.

Are you happy with the ultmate outcome of each?

And are you happy with the overall direction of the O?

Cutler has lost weapons. The team has lost a valued lockerroom leader in Forte (and producer on the field).

As I have said over and over, I could care less about individual stats, player records, or personalities. I want the team to win.

Clearly the team is not ignoring offense. But is the O leadership,individual decisions, and the direction right?

I am disappointed with the handling of Forte. Could have offered him something, especially with the interest in Anderson and Dunbar.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

It's not a proven fact. It's a proven fact that within a day or 2 of his first practices, he had a stress fracture. It's likely this was a result of intense training for the combine and not the light workouts and class time he had in rookie camp.

He walked to another team. Why is irrelevant. I thought he was a good OC and he is no longer our OC.

Not saying it is.Just saying it's what has happened. "fault" is not the point here. Overall direction is.

True. My mistake. he was an OC for the Titans. How did that go?

So why did they let him walk?

So you think we're goign offense in the draft? I sure hope so.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Really the only thing I am upset about was not resigning forte. I would imagine he signs a more team friendly deal to stay in Chicago than he did in NY and seeing as we would have paid CJ Anderson what was offered I think they should have.

I think marshall wasn't buying in, same with Bennett. I'm glad we are moving on from players that don't fit and getting value in return.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I am disappointed with the handling of Forte. Could have offered him something, especially with the interest in Anderson and Dunbar.

Yeah, that's how I feel. And I'll be upset if the Bears go with Elliott at 11 (and I like Elliott as a player a lot), because they could have just kept Forte and used the pick on something more useful. I also wasn't a huge fan of the Langford pick. Again, I like the kid, but I felt like other positions were more important. You can pick up a RB at any point in the draft or free agency to fill a committee role. I think instead of preparing for Forte to walk last offseason, more thought should have been put into the OL. It was no mystery that Bushrod would probably be cut after 2015, even if he stayed healthy.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK. Which ones am I missing?

Marinara?
The Bears fixed their G position, no need to worry about Ducasse, unless you are talking back up for one. Why are bringing up Miller if he has been re signed? Why bring up RT if the Bears addressed it this preseason? Why not talk about last season's poor ILB play on D? You are not being consistant D to O.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am not a Fox nuthugger in the slightest... However-
I am ok with everything on the offensive side of the ball... It is a damn rebuild, and it is overdue.

Look- the way I see it is that they are taking a slow yet logical approach to the situation- they decided to completely redo the defensive side of the ball first.
They have a new scheme with different personnel requirements, and are spending their resources that direction. Good for them.

Maybe you wanted them to go offense first. I did. Didnt happen.
I am not gonna cry about it. I am going to look at what moves they make, what they produce, and see what happens.

Lets not forget that Fox built a damn respectable defense in denver. We can give him the chance to do that here.

Offensively... we will see. I give full credit of making Tebow functional for a year to McCoy, and fox managed to squander Manning while he was playing at god-like levels only to see the next coach win the championship with mannings corpse.

Should be a fun few years.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It's not a proven fact. It's a proven fact that within a day or 2 of his first practices, he had a stress fracture. It's likely this was a result of intense training for the combine and not the light workouts and class time he had in rookie camp.

White passed his Combine medical check with flying colors. Other teams admitted as much. How many times must this fact be repeated to you?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I am not a Fox nuthugger in the slightest... However-
I am ok with everything on the offensive side of the ball... It is a damn rebuild, and it is overdue.

Look- the way I see it is that they are taking a slow yet logical approach to the situation- they decided to completely redo the defensive side of the ball first.
They have a new scheme with different personnel requirements, and are spending their resources that direction. Good for them.

Maybe you wanted them to go offense first. I did. Didnt happen.
I am not gonna cry about it. I am going to look at what moves they make, what they produce, and see what happens.

Lets not forget that Fox built a damn respectable defense in denver. We can give him the chance to do that here.

Offensively... we will see. I give full credit of making Tebow functional for a year to McCoy, and fox managed to squander Manning while he was playing at god-like levels only to see the next coach win the championship with mannings corpse.

Should be a fun few years.
The Denver defense only became great when Fox left. Before that they were like a sieve