The Pre Opening Day NL Central Standings Prediction Thread

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I am not doing that at all and you are full of double speak.

You can't say Maddon is worth five wins over Renteria and then say I am not saying he's five wins better. Almost universally they say a manager is at best five better than the worst. So follow the logic here, if you say Maddon is five better than that means Renteria is the worst while Maddon is the best. Now maybe you think no manager is trash. That's fine. I think most would disagree.

How many times must I repeat myself, I didn't say Maddon was 5 games better than Rick. Are you able to comprehend that? The +5 wins I said included Maddon, the whole coaching staff, and the Cubs being more competitive for the whole year. What don't you understand?

That means I like the new hitting coach as part of that, that means I like Martinez as bench coach, and that means that I like the Cubs putting in TWO good halves of baseball rather than one.

Maddon can affect the team in a number of ways. Maybe Lester never signs with the Cubs if Maddon isn't here? Maddon certainly can affect potential FA's coming to the Cubs in the future on his reputation alone. I could go on and on, but you'll probably just comeback with "Maddon isn't 5 games better than Rick"....blah, blah, blah.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The biggest difference between RR and JM is game management/decisions. The other stuff as previously mentioned about being a player's coach is fairly similar.

Last edited:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
How many times must I repeat myself, I didn't say Maddon was 5 games better than Rick. Are you able to comprehend that? The +5 wins I said included Maddon, the whole coaching staff, and the Cubs being more competitive for the whole year. What don't you understand?

That means I like the new hitting coach as part of that, that means I like Martinez as bench coach, and that means that I like the Cubs putting in TWO good halves of baseball rather than one.

Maddon can affect the team in a number of ways. Maybe Lester never signs with the Cubs if Maddon isn't here? Maddon certainly can affect potential FA's coming to the Cubs in the future on his reputation alone. I could go on and on, but you'll probably just comeback with "Maddon isn't 5 games better than Rick"....blah, blah, blah.

Here's the thing, you're not getting anywhere with your argument because you're not speaking the same language. The hiring of Maddon is a game changer going forward. The affect he's going to have on the day to day operation of the team, development of players and the nuts and bolt of being a leader is immeasurable. By definition that means you can't measure it and that means you can't quantify how many wins it means. Frankly I wouldn't even venture a guess. That's why metrics oriented observers, media and fans have such a hard time with it. You can't easily assign a metric to it so therefore it is pointless to discuss from that standpoint. It's really that simple. Suffice it to say having Joe Maddon manage your team is preferable to having an inexperienced Ricky Renteria.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/...ction-Thread?p=2039919&viewfull=1#post2039919

Than your math is very flawed based on your own post. Your double, triple, quadruple counting.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
"Then", not "Than" and "You're", not "Your". You're welcome. ;)

I fixed the Then to Than because it's a comparison, no? And it should be your. you are math doesn't make sense. :thinking:
EDIT: I see it now. You're right. Your double should be You're. Thanks! :hi5:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I fixed the Then to Than because it's a comparison, no? And it should be your. you are math doesn't make sense. :thinking:
EDIT: I see it now. You're right. Your double should be You're. Thanks! :hi5:
I was just having some fun with the post. No biggie, brett05. I agree with your thoughts on the subject matter, which is more important.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I was just having some fun with the post. No biggie, brett05. I agree with your thoughts on the subject matter, which is more important.

No offense taken at all. I know I write like garbage so the correction is appreciated and funny to me at least. I'm Korben Dallas - "... I only speak two languages: English and bad English."
3.jpg

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Here's the thing, you're not getting anywhere with your argument because you're not speaking the same language. The hiring of Maddon is a game changer going forward. The affect he's going to have on the day to day operation of the team, development of players and the nuts and bolt of being a leader is immeasurable. By definition that means you can't measure it and that means you can't quantify how many wins it means. Frankly I wouldn't even venture a guess. That's why metrics oriented observers, media and fans have such a hard time with it. You can't easily assign a metric to it so therefore it is pointless to discuss from that standpoint. It's really that simple. Suffice it to say having Joe Maddon manage your team is preferable to having an inexperienced Ricky Renteria.

Exactly, it is immeasurable. Therefore, I am neither right nor wrong. Furthermore, in a prediction thread on a baseball forum, it is merely MY prediction that it will make a difference. So pardon me if I take exception for the people who want to insist I'm wrong. Take the metrics and stick them where ever, but don't tell me I'm wrong, and suggest I'm disrespecting Renteria. Give your opinion and move on. It's as simple as that!

Some people here have this attitude like they're smarter than everyone else, and I'd lay a hondo that most didn't even play the game, hence metric heads......

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You seem to have a problem with almost everyone in this forum.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd say a five win difference is the difference between the best manager (Let's say that is indeed Maddon) and the worst, (Let's say that's Ventura). I have read that multiple times. SO if you say Maddon won't lose the five games that Rick did you are saying Rick is trash. IMO.

So it sounds like you wanted to keep RR and are against the hiring of Maddon. I don't think there was any mention by anyone of RR being trash by anyone other than you (you mad?).

So with what the Cubs are trying to achieve.... top talent in the farm system, supplemented with FA signings and managing this top talent once they hit the bigs, you want to keep RR in place, let him keep his job and not hurt his feelings, when he is an unproven major league manager as opposed to bringing in a top tier, proven manager to get this team to a higher level. Its a no brainer, Cubs would have been stupid to pass up the chance at Maddon. Who knows if Renteria will ever get another sniff at a managerial position?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
So it sounds like you wanted to keep RR and are against the hiring of Maddon. I don't think there was any mention by anyone of RR being trash by anyone other than you (you mad?).

So with what the Cubs are trying to achieve.... top talent in the farm system, supplemented with FA signings and managing this top talent once they hit the bigs, you want to keep RR in place, let him keep his job and not hurt his feelings, when he is an unproven major league manager as opposed to bringing in a top tier, proven manager to get this team to a higher level. Its a no brainer, Cubs would have been stupid to pass up the chance at Maddon. Who knows if Renteria will ever get another sniff at a managerial position?

He's a Sox fan, actually. That's all I'll say bad about Brett because we bro out in the WWE Thread.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
1. Chicago Cubs
2. St. Louis Cardinals
3. Pittsburgh Pirates
4. Milwaukee Brewers
5. Cincinnati Reds

Ill roll with the Riz and take the cubbies to win the division...crazier things have happened right?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's a Sox fan, actually. That's all I'll say bad about Brett because we bro out in the WWE Thread.

Acting awful butthurt about RR for a Sox fan. I'm sure if he wrote a letter to Ophrah he could get a whole show from her on how bad RR was screwed and get Oprah's whole nation of self entitled crybabies to sing cum-bay-ah for him. I hope my punctuation will pass the scrutiny of Parade Rain.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should all be happy in here... my god there is more bickering going on in here than the Bears forums. I vanquished the wicked mod of the south... this is a time for rejoicing!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
"The Pre Opening Day NL Central Standings Prediction Thread"

You all fail. The correct answer is:

Everyone will be tied 0-0 for first place Pre-Opening Day.