The Ringer: Will Tanking Evolve?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
"The new rules certainly lower the impact of large-scale tanking. I can’t imagine a team pulling a Sixers-type Process in the future, considering that team could turn in the league’s worst record and still only have a roughly 50-50 shot of picking fifth. The Cavaliers and Suns wound up getting the fifth and sixth picks; the truly abysmal Bulls will pick seventh."

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been thinking about this and this year was a perfect opening to hammer home to teams that losing isn't good for you or the league now.

Every team should be gunning for the extra revenue of the playoffs and to please their fans. In a way, devaluing the draft further hampers small markets in a big market league.

With players as interested in market reach as salary these days, and a host of free agents moving into the L.A. and New York markets this off-season...

the once faint hope of small market teams just got swept away.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think maybe now you might get ownership that takes putting together a legit front office more seriously except reinsdorf of course. You will need guys that can identify players in the draft better. The small market teams + the bulls can’t draw in the marquee fa or even marquee players demanding trades to those teams so going to have to put together the best drafted teams and not depend on top five picks

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Tanking is pretty much dead. You are going to see the top class organisations rise above the pack over the next couple of years.

I think the most interesting aspect is how the value of draft picks changes across the league and how it affects trades.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...I believe you will see many more "top 5 protected" first rounders exchange hands as standard language but more frequently moved for mid-level players in competitive runs.

There is more reason to "go-for-it" every year now and be as good as you can, as well as be willing to part with a pick if top 5 protected.

Toronto, Atlanta, Indiana, OKC, GSW, San Antonio, L.A. Clippers

These are the teams that stand out to me as front office success. I thought Atlanta fell off the mantle, but they just keep chugging and slotting good draft picks.

Who am I missing?