The Walking Dead

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This whole series turned into a soap opera that is tolerable to the male audience... They will 100% Milk it entirely dry. Guaranteed.

This one sentence sums it up quite well.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This whole series turned into a soap opera that is tolerable to the male audience

This one sentence sums it up quite well.

TBF, comic books have always been very soap opera like...so it's just staying true to the source material.

I am working on TWD comics now and as soon as they take the prison, it turns into everyone hooking up with each other like some demented post apocalyptic dating show.

Does amc have anything worth watching?

Not sure if it's on AMC proper or just their app, but 'Gangs of London' is really good.

I also very much enjoyed 'Interview with the Vampire', but I was a big fan of Anne Rice's books in my younger & geekier days. I totally understand trying to pitch Anne Rice to a bunch of middle aged men on a professional sports message board is a rough sell, but it looks like AMC is going all in with the screenrights to her best books.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
TBF, comic books have always been very soap opera like...so it's just staying true to the source material.

I am working on TWD comics now and as soon as they take the prison, it turns into everyone hooking up with each other like some demented post apocalyptic dating show.

Not sure if it's on AMC proper or just their app, but 'Gangs of London' is really good.

I also very much enjoyed 'Interview with the Vampire', but I was a big fan of Anne Rice's books in my younger & geekier days. I totally understand trying to pitch Anne Rice to a bunch of middle aged men on a professional sports message board is a rough sell, but it looks like AMC is going all in with the screenrights to her best books.
I made it through the series... barely.
What i found really interesting was how crystal clear the stages of life and struggles she was going through in the real world translated directly to her stories.

loses her daughter to a blood related disease, struggles with meaning, embraces the carnal and earthly pleasures, and then and then and then...ultimately born again.

Honestly I was more interested in reading her mental state through the books rather than the stories themselves from the first couple onward.

BBBF

Liked Posts:

To be honest, that's probably what would happen IRL, once humans got some food, shelter and safety. I stopped reading the comics at the prison. Not because I wasn't enjoying them, but the show was already on and I hated knowing what was about to happen or being to distracted by noting what was different. I should pick the comics back up.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
There were a ton of callback shots/situations/statements in the last episode... looking for them might be amusing if I ever feel like watching it again. (one that really stood out was watching that chick get consumed through a glass door- reminded me of glen in the revolving door)
Reading that, about Glen in the revolving door...

That director, and the show at the time, actually visited the concept of suspense...

It did change more and more into straight soap opera, losing the cinema aspects of suspense thriller and horror.

The ending clips of Rick and Michonne most certainly did not pique my interest into seeing that show. Not that I'd be interested in a romance series in the WD universe, but the series did not effectively sell that romance.

Michonne's change from walking with two chained zombies to a grandma figure was lame.

I'd be interested in the Rick and (CRM) helicopter-people story. The whole people markings/designations were mysterious. I might give that a try.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rick/Michonne didn't really work.

And then both Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira abandoned The Walking Dead and those characters.

So why not base a whole additional show on those actors/characters?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So with the complete rain out that was yesterday, my better half talked me into giving 'Dead City' a shot and we binged the first three episodes.

I have to admit that Manhattan Island over 15 years into the zombie apocalypse is a really fun setting to continue the story. Zombies mindlessly walking off skyscrapers because they see food below, survivors setting up ziplines on rooftops to avoid the zombie saturated streets, hunting deer on Wall Street, etc.

We are also introduced to another colony to further distance you from the original series. In fact, this series largest faults so far are forcing the original series into the story because we have the Odd Couple back again.

Negan comes off better thus far. They actually let him grow a little with enough time between him and Morgan's prison cell, although you do get a scene that is totally Negan Classic.

It's Maggie that's really killing this thing.

Her attitude towards Negan completely regressed to the point Negan literally calls her out on it. Three episodes in, it feels like every line she has can be boiled down to "I don't trust you" & "We have to find my son".

She needs a turning point fast, otherwise I think her character will sink this entire ship.

The antagonist is pretty good. His backstory is a litlle less far fetched than his cheesy German accent, but he has some smarts and a solid HQ....so the potential is there.

It's almost as if this show would be better without any tie ins to the original, but at least Negan is a watchable character again.

6/10

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Honestly did not realize The Walking Dead still had different series going. Weirdly, I didn't even realize there was more than 1 spin off already released at this point. But hey, if you can keep telling stories worthy of people watching, by all means, do it.