Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My goal was to drop to 170, eventually got to 160. I'm like 165ish now. Trying to bulk up now, no real number right now. Just gain more muscle.

Shit, I read that wrong hahaha. I thought you meant that you were at 165 and were trying to get to 170

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You guys got anything on this Wim Hof breathing method?

I was fuckin fascinated with this guy for a while. This guy has done incredible things beyond enduring extreme temperatures, and has trained other people to do the same.

I've started it a few times but couldn't keep it going.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahh, remember you posting some of what you eat and looked similar to what I did. I assumed Atkins but, as the saying goes, when you assume...

Probably not a very big difference between the low carb diets, really. Meat and eggs are gonna be big in all of them, meat being that 1 completely carb free food. Atkins starts off as keto but quickly becomes more forgiving. Don't know much about Paleo, other than what you mention with the healthy fats. Don't think the macros matter much with it, just more about the natural foods. Think all 3, Keto, Atkins and Paleo avoid grains, legumes, refined sugar, dairy, and highly processed foods. Don't think potatoes are allowed in any although the sweet potato is given a pass by many cause it's nutrient dense. I know I give them a pass even though I also know they are not keto. Think fruits are allowed more in Atkins, after the first couple of weeks, and Paleo. Keto really only allows for the avocado. I like avocados but it's a pain in the ass trying to get them at that just right point where they are ripe enough but not too far past ripe.

Try this avocado trick:

eeb802642e939e7c0cb4bee2890dc077--food-hacks-food-tips.jpg

Remove the top... If it's really brown, it's bad. If it's really pale green, it isn't ripe enough. If it's greenish yellow, even with some brown specs, it's perfect. You can only do this once though, because once you remove that top, that part can go brown quickly while the rest is fine.

Once it's ripe enough, you can put it in the fridge, and it'll stay that way for a few more days.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
The rib was the worst injury I've ever had pain wise. I've sprained my ankles to the point of it being routine and while it sucks the ribs was the worst. Couldn't even lightly jog for 6 weeks without pain...I'm usually back from ankles in 2-3 and full go.
Cracked a rib in younger years jumping my bike. Ramp went out and the handle bars were all metal at the ends. Rib cage went slam down on it. Soccer season was done and I had to sleep on my back for a couple months. Pain was horrible. Breathing or any twisting movement was a chore for a minute.

Folded my ankle skateboarding in high school coming off a handrail too. Foot turned black/green and couldn’t walk for about a month. Ankle wouldn’t turn for about 4 months without severe knife wringing pain. Wonder how some of those guys fight through the bad rolls with some tape out there on the field.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tomorrow makes 4 weeks of being back at it. Feeling good, and am already seeing some results. I think it has a lot to do with having trained previously and that I've lost almost 40lbs since the last time I was in the gym consistently.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Ahh, remember you posting some of what you eat and looked similar to what I did. I assumed Atkins but, as the saying goes, when you assume...

Probably not a very big difference between the low carb diets, really. Meat and eggs are gonna be big in all of them, meat being that 1 completely carb free food. Atkins starts off as keto but quickly becomes more forgiving. Don't know much about Paleo, other than what you mention with the healthy fats. Don't think the macros matter much with it, just more about the natural foods. Think all 3, Keto, Atkins and Paleo avoid grains, legumes, refined sugar, dairy, and highly processed foods. Don't think potatoes are allowed in any although the sweet potato is given a pass by many cause it's nutrient dense. I know I give them a pass even though I also know they are not keto. Think fruits are allowed more in Atkins, after the first couple of weeks, and Paleo. Keto really only allows for the avocado. I like avocados but it's a pain in the ass trying to get them at that just right point where they are ripe enough but not too far past ripe.

We get really good avocado here. Sometimes the deals are really good so you end up with a bunch that you dont want to all ripen at once.

If you put them in the fridge as they are getting close it will stall them for a bit so you can pull out one the night before and it will be ready the next day.

Nothing worse than ten avocados all getting ripe at the exact same time when it isn't super bowl Sunday.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A little over 2 months in. Decided to switch my programming up from SL 5x5 to an upper / lower split. Today was the first time I did just legs...an hour and a half long workout. Been running on my non lifting days, but don't think I'll be doing that tomorrow. Probably will barely be able to walk.

Rainbow Rob

Liked Posts:
I always laugh when I see "straight" men in the gym working out and flexing in the mirror with their perfectly made up hair and tank top. Do they really believe my gaydar doesn't immediately blast off? Lmao it's quite a sight to see. Honestly I've hooked up with more men from the gym than I have anywhere else in my entire life. And many of those men were straight before I was done with them. Easy pickings.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I always laugh when I see "straight" men in the gym working out and flexing in the mirror with their perfectly made up hair and tank top. Do they really believe my gaydar doesn't immediately blast off? Lmao it's quite a sight to see. Honestly I've hooked up with more men from the gym than I have anywhere else in my entire life. And many of those men were straight before I was done with them. Easy pickings.

Jokes on you, I'm bald. Also, who's alt account is this?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Going on vacation and getting sick really reminded me of the importance of rest.

I worked out for this first time in 2.5 weeks and I felt so much better. I felt like I was able to do much more in my workouts.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Going on vacation and getting sick really reminded me of the importance of rest.

I worked out for this first time in 2.5 weeks and I felt so much better. I felt like I was able to do much more in my workouts.

This was timely. I think I need a break, or a deload. Lots of stuff seems to be plateauing. Ive been eating like a fucking horse, and still managed to drop like 2lbs this week. But feeling fucking great.

Reactions: BNB

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've watched this guy's videos on IF before. Here he speaks of training and how much and how fast one can expect to gain muscle, supporting it with studies. There are 2 major takes from this that will interest you long time weight lifters. One, your greatest gain in muscle mass will come in your first year of training. You can expect to gain 20-25 pounds of added muscle after your first year, only expect half the muscles gain in your second year, and half of that in your third year. After that, your gains will be so minimal they're not worthy of mention. The second thing is if you take a long break, lose a lot of weight and/or muscle, it will be far easier and quicker to put that muscle back on. If you were to lose 20 pounds of muscle, it may seem like a daunting task to put it back on. The reverse is true as you wouldn't gain it back nearly as slowly as a beginner starting their first year of weight training. You could, in fact, put it back on in a matter of just a couple of months because the body has a mechanism for restoring it that has to do with muscle memory.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's mostly true, but I'd disclaimer that as the first year of proper training. Meaning, good programming that has progression built in, good form, consistency, having your diet dialed in, etc.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This was timely. I think I need a break, or a deload. Lots of stuff seems to be plateauing. Ive been eating like a fucking horse, and still managed to drop like 2lbs this week. But feeling fucking great.
You've been eating hay?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well.... looks like my workout days may either be over, or delayed for a while.

I had to go to occupational therapy for elbow pain, and it looks like I have what's called "ulnar nerve subluxation." Basically, my ulnar nerve is snapping over the pointy bone on the inside of the elbow whenever I bend it during a workout.

I've felt it for a while actually, but it didn't really start bothering me until a few months ago.

Only option to fix it is surgery, which I don't want. Plus, it seems like the success rate is low.. so it isn't guaranteed to fix the problem. Fuckin blows so bad.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well.... looks like my workout days may either be over, or delayed for a while.

I had to go to occupational therapy for elbow pain, and it looks like I have what's called "ulnar nerve subluxation." Basically, my ulnar nerve is snapping over the pointy bone on the inside of the elbow whenever I bend it during a workout.

I've felt it for a while actually, but it didn't really start bothering me until a few months ago.

Only option to fix it is surgery, which I don't want. Plus, it seems like the success rate is low.. so it isn't guaranteed to fix the problem. Fuckin blows so bad.
That sucks man. I had an ulnar nerve entrapment issue awhile back, but this sounds different than that. I found some exercises/stretches that helped (google ulnar nerve flossing / gliding), but not sure if they'd be helpful for you. The root of my problem was inflammation in my upper back compressing the ulnar nerve , and was causing pain / numbness all the way down to my fingers. Those stretches + massage + lots of icing helped a lot. Hope this is of some use to you, but it probably isn't.

Reactions: BNB