Tom Thayer Responds to Fox's Comment

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most former players, but not all. Greg Jennings is a recent one who comes to mind. Fox may be a dick. I'm not arguing that. I think it's all quite funny, and Thayer and Bernstein have points, but seem just as bitter as they accuse Fox of being.

I'm not saying 51 is wrong. I'm having a conversation with him.

Seems more like justifiable criticism (sour grapes huh?) towards a past his prime failure that achieved getting a voice in the media that should have passed on the subject but took it there and is getting deserved critique.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I do agree with your point, if Malcore wants to call it sour grapes whatever, I'm quoting you because you nailed it..."Under Fox the Bears weren't just a bad team they were a depressing team, reflecting the HC's personality"

Nagy is a joyful guy, the polar opposite of Fox. Don't feed me the grumpy old man thing, Fox and ommy have been jerks their whole lives.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Seems more like justifiable criticism (sour grapes huh?) towards a past his prime failure that achieved getting a voice in the media that should have passed on the subject but took it there and is getting deserved critique.

I see it as maybe Fox was taking a jab, sure. But he was also right in his assessment. And yes, I already said Fox had a hand creating the current kicker situation the Bears are in. I also said Fox did poorly while here. I'm not arguing any of that. I think Thayer and Bernstein whining that Fox said little to the press as a coach, but as an analyst he is giving more than they want is hilarious.

"sour grapes"

Really? lol

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most former players, but not all. Greg Jennings is a recent one who comes to mind. Fox may be a dick. I'm not arguing that. I think it's all quite funny, and Thayer and Bernstein have points, but seem just as bitter as they accuse Fox of being.

I'm not saying 51 is wrong. I'm having a conversation with him.

Guys like Jennings, and there are plenty out there, go after their former teams and teammates but you don't see them working for national media outlets. I'm willing to bet Jennings never complained about only having 3 catches in a game where he dropped 5 passes in his hands.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Guys like Jennings, and there are plenty out there, go after their former teams and teammates but you don't see them working for national media outlets. I'm willing to bet Jennings never complained about only having 3 catches in a game where he dropped 5 passes in his hands.

Jennings jabs were a bit more personal, and went a bit further than Fox criticizing the Bears shit kicker situation. The worst off season comment by Fox was likely "sour grapes", lol.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol, spunky why did I upset you so much?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When camp started in 2018 I said it was stupid to only bring in one kicker, yes they were going to keep Parkey because of the contract, but more than one kicker in camp is SOP in the NFL. If for no other reason you learn about other kickers in case of injury.

The Bears current K problem is on Pace but Fox was part of the process that started this mess. To go on ESPN and bitch about problem you had a hand in creating is beyond hypocrisy, that was Thayer's point, Bernstein's point and the point of this thread.

If a few years Pace starts bitching about the Bears kicking fuck ups, he would be even worse than Fox, I don't expect that to happen.

@remydat missed the point.

I think when NFL coaches influence roster decisions with respect to a kicker, they do so with the expectation that an NFL GM can find a replacement in a timely manner.

I am sure if Fox knew at the time that Pace would suck balls finding a new kicker, he would not have let Gould go but it is homerism at its finest.

Basically any good roster decision made is a credit to Pace but any bad roster move was magically Fox's fault.

Like the same people giving Fox shit about Gould are the same ones that give Pace all the credit for drafting Goldman et al.

Thayer crying about Fox isnt going to improve our kicker situation.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes I'd say sour
lol, spunky why did I upset you so much?

A. I don't like sour grapes...raisins are good in oatmeal though., also ants on a stick(nutbutter,raisins,celery).

B. Didn't care for how you were writing it all off on said sour grapes,

C. 4 IPA's on a Monday eve.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think when NFL coaches influence roster decisions with respect to a kicker, they do so with the expectation that an NFL GM can find a replacement in a timely manner.

I am sure if Fox knew at the time that Pace would suck balls finding a new kicker, he would not have let Gould go but it is homerism at its finest.

Basically any good roster decision made is a credit to Pace but any bad roster move was magically Fox's fault.

Like the same people giving Fox shit about Gould are the same ones that give Pace all the credit for drafting Goldman et al.

No shit Einstein.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No shit Einstein.

Great so if you understand that then not sure the issue here.

Fox was part of the decision to get rid of Gould. He still has every right to criticize Pace and Co for being incapable of finding a permanent solution in the years since then to the point it cost them a playoff game.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Fox was part of the decision to get rid of Gould. He still has every right to criticize Pace and Co for being incapable of finding a permanent solution in the years since then to the point it cost them a playoff game.
If you can’t see the hypocrisy in criticizing somebody who is unable to clean the milk you helped spill I don’t know what to tell you.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The usual BS from you, I commented on the bolded because it was so fucking obvious why bother even typing it out...

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

When camp started in 2018 I said it was stupid to only bring in one kicker, yes they were going to keep Parkey because of the contract, but more than one kicker in camp is SOP in the NFL. If for no other reason you learn about other kickers in case of injury.

The Bears current K problem is on Pace but Fox was part of the process that started this mess. To go on ESPN and bitch about problem you had a hand in creating is beyond hypocrisy, that was Thayer's point, Bernstein's point and the point of this thread.

If a few years Pace starts bitching about the Bears kicking fuck ups, he would be even worse than Fox, I don't expect that to happen.

@remydat missed the point.

@remydat still missing the point. I'm not going to get into a vortex regarding semantics, what percentage of letting Gould walk is Fox responsible for, because it doesn't matter. Fox was involved in causing the problem and now he points a finger accepting no responsibility. Hypocritical dick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The usual BS from you, I commented on the bolded because it was so fucking obvious why bother even typing it out...

I actually didn't see the bold because I didn't expand your response.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you can’t see the hypocrisy in criticizing somebody who is unable to clean the milk you helped spill I don’t know what to tell you.

I don't see where the hypocrisy is relevant to the issue at hand which is that our kicking situation sucks. He made a factual observation. Crying about the fact that he was the coach when Gould was cut doesn't solve the situation at all. The milk has already been spilled and it is Pace not Fox's responsibility to fix it. Why? Because Fox was fired and Pace is still the GM. It would be dumb for Fox to pretend the milk has not been spilled and he currently can't help fix it because he doesn't work for the Bears. So the only thing he can do is point out the milk is still on the floor.

@remydat still missing the point. I'm not going to get into a vortex regarding semantics, what percentage of letting Gould walk is Fox responsible for, because it doesn't matter. Fox was involved in causing the problem and now he points a finger accepting no responsibility. Hypocritical dick.

No you are missing the point. His being a hypocritical dick doesn't absolve Pace from his responsibility to fix the problem. Fox is gone. Pace is still here. Don't give a shit about Fox. I care about the fact he is currently right about the kicker situation and I care about Pace fixing it because that is his job no Fox's.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I don't see where the hypocrisy is relevant to the issue at hand which is that our kicking situation sucks. He made a factual observation. Crying about the fact that he was the coach when Gould was cut doesn't solve the situation at all. The milk has already been spilled and it is Pace not Fox's responsibility to fix it. Why? Because Fox was fired and Pace is still the GM. It would be dumb for Fox to pretend the milk has not been spilled and he currently can't help fix it because he doesn't work for the Bears. So the only thing he can do is point out the milk is still on the floor.

No you are missing the point. His being a hypocritical dick doesn't absolve Pace from his responsibility to fix the problem. Fox is gone. Pace is still here. Don't give a shit about Fox. I care about the fact he is currently right about the kicker situation and I care about Pace fixing it because that is his job no Fox's.
What the fuck are you going on about? Thanks for letting me know John Fox had been fired. I had no idea. I thought he was to blame all along for not being able to replace Robbie Gould and not Ryan Pace. The reason we are even talking about this is because Fox is being a hypocrite on national TV and bashing his former employer because Matt Nagy won COTY just a year after he got canned. It’s sour grapes at its finest.