Trade Deadline Talk

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
It's February, which means the rumor mill will be running overtime until the trade deadline at the end of the month.

If you read/hear something, say something here. Links to sources would be appreciated.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Sooo... if you see something say something.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm all about trying to win the deadline value again like Bowman does every year. Duchene is the grand prize for me around the league. The Ladd of this year.

Landeskog is ok. Hearty, gritty strong player...more a Hartman vibe to me. Where as Smaltz has top 6 potential, I see Hartman as an excellent bottom 6 player who gives you more now because of warrior spirit and stronger body, but doesn't have the skill to help Toews the same way as Smaltz can develop into that role and feed that first line good passes, be in dangerous offensive positions etc.

I think Duchene could work if they took back 1-2 million for a year and a half, and we were able to move Kruger this off-season, or lost him to Vegas. Vegas should take him as a leader, slightly overpayed bottom 6 center but when you are trying to start a team I would think the shut down glue guy is going to be more attractive than a +10 TVR. If they take TVR great, but I think we can plan on having that cap open for us. Its lucky really, I think saves Bowman and Q from themselves and gives us a chance to "discover" a more 2 direction center like Bondra in the system.

But now that I spell this out, and the results of "Line Science" ....

I keep thinking the right move for the Blackhawks is 3C. Worst case scenario you have Panik-Toews-Hossa anytime you want it on the first line. They can compete with anybody, imo, because they have sporadic offense but certain defense.

So...1LW isn't the emergency Toews has made it appear with his slumping, which turns out to be more him slumping than the players we put next to him. I think 3C is the emergency, as Kruger proves to just squash the offensive function of his line.

we can't fuck with this. Kero at 3C is clearly the upgrade target. Bowman probably loves the 1LW talk, for smoke, but

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its 3C I think we target.

1) 1LW has Panik, Hossa, Hino, Smaltz, Hartman somebody
2) Kruger can't lead an offensive line. That back hander I saw yesterday convinced me its not even worth considering him with Hossa. We shouldn't do that to Hossa.

And because Vegas is going to poach Kruger over TVR, imo, despite the salaries. Kruger won't look so bad next to a bunch of hard choices and other overpriced contracts. He brings you certainty, cup experience, and bottom 6 glue.

I'll use the caveat that if he got injured again in 2017 Kruger may be untouchable by Vegas and be slipping into "prone" category. With TVR in the +5-10 range, it could be close I guess.

Anyway...I think Duchene is possible as more than a rental after Kruger goes, which may loosen up the coughers for Bowman to meet the high price of a young defender (Forsling) and 1st and a Motte/Smaltz type package.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is Dave Bolland available?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kruger has the worst backhand I have ever seen. I was trying to explain it away to my girlfriend....who was learning the game and my cock at the same time. That he was actually a big strong guy despite appearances. The irony was not lost, which deflated my "ego" and faith in Kruger at the same time.

Then Taco with the double reach around saved the day, everybody went home happy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to see the no-trade team list of the players. Especially the ex-Hawks.

you think anyone would trade clause bar the Hawks? Teuvo? The Rat?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you think anyone would trade clause bar the Hawks? Teuvo? The Rat?

Or maybe Versteeg, or Vermette? :shrug:

I don't know, just thought seeing the lists would be interesting.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Apparently Bowman is spending this week telling everyone that the Hawks aren't making trades.

From Elliotte Friedman's weekly 30 Things:

10. Chicago’s Stan Bowman laughed when I told him other GMs don’t believe he won’t add anything. He knows they doubt him. “We traded for Andrew Ladd last year because we needed a bigger piece. I don’t think we need to do that this year.”

For example, all 13 of Ryan Hartman’s goals are at even strength. Only Artem Anisimov (16), Kane and Marian Hossa (15) have more. “Hartman, Nick Schmaltz, Vinnie Hinostroza, Tanner Kero…maybe they have to go the AHL here and there, but we see them as part of our team now.” (The latter three were sent to Rockford during Chicago’s bye week for salary-cap reasons.) “We’re going to see what happens over the next couple of weeks before the trade deadline, but we are much more comfortable with our younger players.”

At the very least, Bowman said none of them are getting traded. He added he likes the nether regions of his blue line, too. “From one to eight, this is the best depth we’ve had.”

11. Like Rutherford, Bowman isn’t overly concerned with where his team finishes. “We have a no-BS group,” he said.

It’s funny, you see Corey Crawford, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and Jonathan Toews at the All-Star Game. They carry themselves with the same demeanour as when you see them during the season. Not much rattles them. “They’ve seen everything,” Bowman said. “They know what it takes.”

12. Watching Scott Darling beat Edmonton last weekend, I couldn’t help but wonder if he is this year’s Cam Talbot — ready to move on from being an understudy on a good team to being a No. 1 somewhere else.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or maybe Versteeg, or Vermette? :shrug:

I don't know, just thought seeing the lists would be interesting.

Vermette is a good guess, don't think he liked one of Q or the system too much.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think 3C, Kero, is the weakest link.

I look for Hanzal, Duchene, and more likely...Perrault as guys we could slot there. Hanzal is a rental, so cheaper than maybe he seems. Duchene/Hanzal could also add first line forward versatility.

But I believe Bowman if he thinks Kero is adaquate, and ascending. He can put Hino, Ras, Desjardins, as more of a 4C.

I'm most glad to hear he likes his Kempny, Forsling, TVR group and won't touch it.

I just don't understand why we wouldn't use some ammo when it looks to me like we have a surplus of guys that could move.

How expensive is Perrault really going to be? Just give them a fat black list and let them take a massive haul from the rest.

No trade list.

Forslin, Forsling, TVR, Pokka, Hayden, Motte, Smaltz, Hinostroza, Bondra, Debricat, Hartman, Olofson, Knott, Baun, Tuulola,

Trade List
Darling, Kero, McNeil, Haggerty, a Dahlstrom or two, Svedstein, Radke, draftpicks (with the list above we practically don't need draft picks right now). Gustofson.

Shabby offerings...holding a bit tight with the blacklist Bowman.

I mean I guess Darling/Kero are untouchables too which makes the trade list total shit, but I'd be bold and try to pull something with that and draft picks. A legit 3C would give us 4 line strength.

Living in fear of Crawford getting hurt isn't a way to win championships, because I don't believe we will win anyway if Crawford goes down. So we either have him and a shot, or we don't. Trade Darling and get Duchene or Landeskog. Surely the Avs realize by now Varlamov/Pickard are not the future. (but I like Pickard better)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think 3C, Kero, is the weakest link.

I look for Hanzal, Duchene, and more likely...Perrault as guys we could slot there. Hanzal is a rental, so cheaper than maybe he seems. Duchene/Hanzal could also add first line forward versatility.

But I believe Bowman if he thinks Kero is adaquate, and ascending. He can put Hino, Ras, Desjardins,

Why do you dislike Kero so much? I feel like his game has been picking up lately... he is even getting time on the PK because he is defensively responsible.

The other night his line with I think Hartman and Desi was tearing shit up... I like a Kero 3C with like Hartman/Hossa and Desi.... a line that can shutdown opponents like Bolland's 3rd line, but also threaten to score. Let Kruger run the 4th line.... mostly be a shutdown line.... Hino/Kruger/Desi... hard workers who won't threaten alot of offense but won't give up much to opponents 1st/2nd lines if all goes well.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its just my belief Darling is worth more in a trade than as insurance, as we won't win anyway. Crow or bust.

And if you are trading Kero for his replacement, I think you still have Smaltz at center in the system down the road and even if Vegas poaches Kruger

I think the lack of draft picks the last few years, and fear of Kruger to Vegas has him holding onto Kero/picks rather than move for an upgrade. Vegas forces his hand to protect a bit of depth behind TVR, Kruger.

But...he needs to decide looking at that blacklist man. All those guys can't help us.