Trubisky ranked the 21st best QB according to The Score.com

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Seems fair. I'm surprised it wasn't lower, considering his reputation nationally.

I'm not going to argue with a QB ranking in June. Trubisky is going to have to prove his worth, and that's fine.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think we should have a parade when this thread is locked. I weep for the future of CCS.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He met my expectations statistically from what I thought in the preseason.

This season if he plays 16 games it is 4000+ yards, 30+ TDS, 12 or fewer INTs. If he meets those numbers then I will consider it another successful step. If he doesn't, and the Bears do not win, I will not consider it a successful season for Mitch at that point he is being carried.

His rushing is all a bonus.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think a more interesting discussion is what everyone's benchmarks are for a personally successful season from Mitch is?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think a more interesting discussion is what everyone's benchmarks are for a personally successful season from Mitch is?

To me, its a sliding scale of regular season stats and postseason success.

If he has another blah postseason and the Bears crash out in the playoffs but he has a great regular season, then I think in some sense we can say Trubisky had a successful season. If he posts the same regular season numbers that he had in 2018 but does better in the postseason/leads Bears to Super Bowl, then it would be really hard to say Trubisky did not personally have a successful season.

I think actual statistical benchmarks are harder to define. Trubisky's 2018 stats were weird...he made the pro bowl but was only 16th in passer rating. He didn't really kill the team with turnovers, but was only 24th in INT%. He threw deep a lot, but was only 17th in YPA. He was only 25th in Yards per game. His 'strongest metric' was TD%, where he finished 12th. Basically not close to being elite in any category.

I would say Trubisky needs to improve on his TD/INT differential...24-12 is great for a Bears QB, but average in the NFL. He either needs to complete more of these downfield passes for big plays to up his TD total to the 30's, or he needs to reduce his INT%. I think the Yards per game needs to drastically improve, although that might be dependent on how Nagy calls a game.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's what I want to see out of Mitch:
  1. Run less, but achieve more first downs. Show me a running QB, and I'll show you one who hasn't gotten injured yet. I once ran into Vince Young in Austin when he was in his prime. If a BAF 6'5 265ish pound (basically, defensive end-sized) QB gets injured running the rock, that tells me all I need to know about the longevity of a running QB in the league.
  2. Better accuracy. Fewer "WTF was that?" throws.
  3. More deep ball connections. Make it risky for the defense to put 8 men in the box. Break their spirit entirely if they blitz.
  4. Better decision making. Too many times the all-22 showed people wide-open that he missed. The good news is I'm sure he (and the coaches) saw that too.
Hard to say where that will be statistically, but I'd be happy with at least a 3-1 TD to INT ratio, so long as the offense is moving. Mitch doesn't have to be in the upper two-three QBs in the league, but he does need to be in the top 10.

(Edited: grammar and re-worded for clarity).

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The PFF rankings are turdish......it is a very flawed system.

I don't have a problem with Trubisky being ranked 21st.....In my opinion he is in the blob in the middle of the league for Quarterbacks.

What the rankings really don't consider enough, in my opinion, is the quarterback situation. I mean this in regards to prior history of growth and where they are at in the stages of their career. For example if some guy has been in the league for 10 years and has similar stats to a guy that has been in the league one or two years, that is telling. Also what has the young QB done previously and what direction is the statistical arrow.

All this shit is subjective. Even though PFF puts numbers on their subjectivity, it is still subjective and, in my opinion, a flawed system.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's what I want to see out of Mitch:
  1. Run less, but achieve more first downs. Show me a running QB, and I'll show you one who hasn't gotten injured yet. I once ran into Vince Young in Austin when he was in his prime. If a BAF 6'5 265ish pound (basically, defensive end-sized) QB gets injured running the rock, that tells me all I need to know about the longevity of a running QB in the league.
  2. Better accuracy. Fewer "WTF was that?" throws.
  3. More deep ball connections. Make it risky for the defense to put 8 men in the box. Break their spirit entirely if they blitz.
  4. Better decision making. Too many times the all-22 showed people wide-open that he missed. The good news is I'm sure he (and the coaches) saw that too.
Hard to say where that will be statistically, but I'd be happy with at least a 3-1 TD to INT ratio, so long as the offense is moving. Mitch doesn't have to be in the upper two-three QBs in the league, but he does need to be in the top 10.

(Edited: grammar and re-worded for clarity).

I do not have a problem with Trubisky's rushing amount....he was 6th in the league in attempts. Only one more attempt than Wilson.

If he is successful at it, I don;'t see a problem with it. Just another thing the defense has to worry and account for.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Not at all, Matty Ice does not have ice in his veins.
Yeah but if they had to spy him he'd find receivers open easily. His pass numbers would inflate. And if they didn't he could use his legs

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I didn't think there was a general consensus best pick. I thought there were 3 guys who were graded "first round", and if any of the three were thought to be "consensus best", it was Watson. I don't think Pace did anything bad, it was just a missed opportunity. I would be more interested to know what Pace DIDN'T like about Mahomes, and why he felt Trubisky was so superior to Mahomes that he had to trade up to get him.

That is just the first two links on google from before the draft.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

That is just the first two links on google from before the draft.

LOL at this. The immortal Dieter Kurtenbach had Mahomes as the #8 rated QB...3 spots LOWER THAN BRAD KAAYA! The guy had Kizer above Watson. I guess the only takeaway from this nonsense is to say who would have guessed that BearsFan51 had Germanic lineage?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
LOL at this. The immortal Dieter Kurtenbach had Mahomes as the #8 rated QB...3 spots LOWER THAN BRAD KAAYA! The guy had Kizer above Watson. I guess the only takeaway from this nonsense is to say who would have guessed that BearsFan51 had Germanic lineage?
Those were just the top two links. Almost everyone had Trubs/Watson/Mahomes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do not have a problem with Trubisky's rushing amount....he was 6th in the league in attempts. Only one more attempt than Wilson.

If he is successful at it, I don;'t see a problem with it. Just another thing the defense has to worry and account for.
This. I normally have some issue with 'running QBs' because they take too many shots but if you look at Wilson and Mitch, they are scrambling in a way that they actually take fewer hits. Mitch would have been hit a lot more if he stayed at home waiting on routes last year and gave himself up before getting tackled on scrambles unless he was going for a 1st on 3rd etc.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Those were just the top two links. Almost everyone had Trubs/Watson/Mahomes.
The best part of that is if you look at the links from April most don't have the Bear as a need team. The Glennon signing actually did put everyone off the scent. Only links from April should be included. Before the combine and pro days, all of these draft projections are bullshit.

I added april to the search and got this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=qb+...ome..69i57.14254j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Other than this Ruiz idiot from USA Today that had both Mitch, Watson and Mahomes outside the 1st. Mitch was tops in the vast majority. He still had Mitch the top of those 3 but it couldn't be more meaningless when you have Kizer as #1 and Kaaya and Evans ahead of Mahomes.

If you look up Dieter Kurtenbach final mock draft, he has Mitch as the 1st QB taken , 4th by the Jags followed by Watson at 6 and Mahomes at 13. https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...number-predictions-kurtenbach-fox-sports-full
2nd and 3rd were more in contention than #1 though that's never an indication of how they get drafted. Only takes one team to like you to change the order but in the case of the Bear, they took what was considered the top prospect overall but with the 2nd highest ceiling and 2nd lowest floor. Mahomes was highest ceiling and lowest floor of the 3 and Watson was 3rd highest ceiling and highest floor. Who you took had more to do with a GMs perspective of what was most important.

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
He met my expectations statistically from what I thought in the preseason.

This season if he plays 16 games it is 4000+ yards, 30+ TDS, 12 or fewer INTs. If he meets those numbers then I will consider it another successful step. If he doesn't, and the Bears do not win, I will not consider it a successful season for Mitch at that point he is being carried.

His rushing is all a bonus.
Let's say he hits those numbers or even does a bit better, ideally < 10 INTs for example. The interesting question to me is can the Bears get him to accept a cap-friendly deal, or will they overpay like the Lions over paid Stafford?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Let's say he hits those numbers or even does a bit better, ideally < 10 INTs for example. The interesting question to me is can the Bears get him to accept a cap-friendly deal, or will they overpay like the Lions over paid Stafford?

I don't think there is a chance that Trubisky takes a cap-friendly deal, because this would be his first big contract. Other veteran QBs have already made big money and are in the position to possibly take less...I don't think Trubisky would.