Trubisky ranked the 21st best QB according to The Score.com

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dak has not progressed since entering the league. Why are you ready to be optimistic towards a QB that regressed yet be pessimistic towards a QB that progressed? Seems kinda ass backwards.
He had a tremendous rookie season(126 rate+). Regressed his second season(96 Rate+). He had a nice bounce back year last year(109 rate+). He obviously progressed from his second year...Unless you're somehow including an uptick in his play last year as a continued backslide from his rookie year..which makes zero sense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also, mea culpa but Cutler's Rate+ the year before the Bears got him was a 104. So Cutler actually slid back from a 110 in a 5 game sample as a rookie to a 108 his second season, to a 104 his last season in Denver. So it actually makes the assumption of progression worse. Shit happens in the NFL. People trying to pass off Mitch's 2018 as something special or parade worthy...my God.

Parade is a bit much.

I think it was a solid season that had enough positives to hope for a jump this year.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes if you told CCS before the packers game last season Mitch would throw for almost 3700 yards this place would have had a parade. Mitch was in his second season Jay was a certified lost cause.
Give up with them. lol Mitch this year or in two years will be putting up 4500 yds, 30+ tds 10-12 int's at most and these goofs will still be saying he is just ok. At worst he ends up a Matt Ryan who can run better. Elite? Probably not, very few ever end up elite, but next tier after elite will happen.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
1. That's not true. The NFL is littered with guys who flamed out as the league got the jump on them. Guys regress. You see it all the time. There's a reason the term "sophomore slump" exists across the sporting world.

2. Yeah, Mitch is different than Jay. He's also unique to anyone that has ever walked the earth. You seem to be missing the point of the Cutler deal to begin with and it's maddening. The point in bringing up Cutler was that a poster said people would have thrown a parade for the numbers Mitch had. I brought up Cutler's numbers to show that not only were the numbers not parade worthy but they were pretty average+ and nothing to be excited about since we've seen those numbers before. You're trying to twist this into that I think Mitch is Cutler or some weird shit or destined for the same fate. I don't think that.

You're not even understanding the argument at this point.
and there’s plenty of others who don’t flame out. It’s also much harder to apply the argument of sophomore slump in this scenario because by all accounts last season was a very dumbed down version of the offense. The offense as a whole will improve just based on familiarity and being able to expand on what they’re doing.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I’ll admit “parade” was hyperbole. But the point remains that this entire board would have been happy with 3700 yards out of Mitch this season along with 27 TDs

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
and there’s plenty of others who don’t flame out.

No kidding. So you can't say "most get better their second year" since there are plenty on both sides!

by all accounts last season was a very dumbed down version of the offense.
So why should we assume progression? What if he can't handle the "smarted up" version? What if he's great on the white board but can't process it on the field?(Common in the NFL)

Sure the offense could expand. It could also not..or it can't handle it. We are just blindly assuming progression here. You can't. Is it possible? Absolutely. It's fine to reason for. ...but to speak of it as fact is just wrong.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’ll admit “parade” was hyperbole. But the point remains that this entire board would have been happy with 3700 yards out of Mitch this season along with 27 TDs
Sure. I would have been happy with it too. I was "happy" with what I saw last year too. It was progress. Now he needs to take the next step.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PFF is fucking garbage.
Maybe, maybe not. I haven't gone through the exercise of analyzing every offensive play, but I do know what my eyes tell me. He needs to improve; I believe he knows that and the coaches know that. I also believe that he will improve. The remaining question is how much?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
No kidding. So you can't say "most get better their second year" since there are plenty on both sides!

So why should we assume progression? What if he can't handle the "smarted up" version? What if he's great on the white board but can't process it on the field?(Common in the NFL)

Sure the offense could expand. It could also not..or it can't handle it. We are just blindly assuming progression here. You can't. Is it possible? Absolutely. It's fine to reason for. ...but to speak of it as fact is just wrong.

sure you can’t guarantee 150% Mitch will improve along with the offense but just watching the second half of last season will tell you the chances are pretty damn good the offense along with Mitch will improve. I would say the probability of improvement is much higher than not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Floyd is a "miss" but still a good player. Miss =/= bust in my mind. When you take a pass rushing OLB at #8 overall you expect more than 15 sacks in three seasons. He hasn't been as advertised..but hasn't been a bust.

If Floyd was drafted in the third round, he'd have been a decent pick....in the first he is a bust based on his drafted round.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So then what the fuck is the point of this discussion?
That just assuming progression is dumb. Shitting on QB's like Dak Prescott(who have proven to be better than Mitch) is dumb. That getting overly excited about a 3200+ 24 TD and 12 INT season is silly. Just pump the brakes. Enjoy the ride. Stop getting out over your skis.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Floyd was drafted in the third round, he'd have been a decent pick....in the first he is a bust based on his drafted round.
Eh. We'll see how his career ends up. Had a LONG discussion on this years ago but AJ Hawk is a "bust" if you think the #5 pick should be a HOF level or no duh GREAT player and anything less is unacceptable. ..but he's not a bust IMO because he turned in a long, highly productive, and valuable career. He ended up as a good or very good at times NFL player. If Floyd becomes that..he's both a miss but not a bust IMO.

A disappointment/miss is completely different than a bust to me. A disappointment/miss can still turn into a valuable and productive player for you. A bust IMO is a guy who offers you little or no value as a player and just proves that he can't play in the NFL.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That just assuming progression is dumb. Shitting on QB's like Dak Prescott(who have proven to be better than Mitch) is dumb. That getting overly excited about a 3200+ 24 TD and 12 INT season is silly. Just pump the brakes. Enjoy the ride. Stop getting out over your skis.
Dak is and so is Mitch. Difference is Dak has been in the league longer and many cowboys fans don’t know if they want to extend him. In terms of ability they’re about the same with a slim edge to Dak maybe but moving forward I’m still taking Mitch. And again the 16 game prediction is much more respectable than his (Mitch’s) actual stats.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dak is and so is Mitch. Difference is Dak has been in the league longer and many cowboys fans don’t know if they want to extend him. In terms of ability they’re about the same with a slim edge to Dak maybe but moving forward I’m still taking Mitch. And again the 16 game prediction is much more respectable than his (Mitch’s) actual stats.
So reality doesn't mean more than prediction. Got it.