Trubisky's Best Game of 2018?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Thought Trubisky's 2nd half vs. the Eagles in the playoff games was really promising. Obviously not a full game but he took full command in that 2nd half of the game and drove us down for what should have been the winner. Had Parkey made the kick, the narrative of Trubisky sucking would probably have shifted a bit too. In terms of regular season, probably the last game vs. Minn, though I also think the Vikings really shit the bed that game too.

Surprised no one has yet brought up the Eagles game. Considering the circumstances, that is IMO his "best" game due to the two "go ahead" drives in crunchtime. Showed he could come up with an answer in the clutch when we needed him the most. Granted if he played better in the first half it would have never come down to that.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You know, the most exciting game for me might have been against the Pats. I don't remember all the ups and downs and Trubisky did toss a pair of picks, but this was the game where it hit home for me that this team is for real. We're two scores down against Tom Brady and we're still not out of it.

In the end we didn't win the game but damn if I wasn't at the edge of my seat the entire game.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I think Week 1 against the Packers was pretty good. At least the first half lol.

Naturally the go-to answer is the TB game but it seemed like EVERYTHING went right for the Bears that game.

Can I take 1st half of week 1 and 2nd half of playoff game and put those together to be my favorite?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I thought it was the home game against the packers. When they tied it up, it could have gone downhill from there. He drove them down for a TD and the the clinching fog. Of course our defense held up their part of the deal.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Look, I get that people want to throw out the Bucs game for whatever rationalization they want to come up with. Except that is what this offense can look like when they are beating a defense like a drum schematically and the players are balling out. They absolutely abused that defense with wheel routes but Trubisky and his receivers were also on point that game. So instead of throwing it out as a red herring maybe its better to look at that game as a taste of what they can be like when the offense matures.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Surprised no one has yet brought up the Eagles game. Considering the circumstances, that is IMO his "best" game due to the two "go ahead" drives in crunchtime. Showed he could come up with an answer in the clutch when we needed him the most. Granted if he played better in the first half it would have never come down to that.

Do you have Bearly on ignore? Because he literally brought it up the very post before Kazu.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You know, the most exciting game for me might have been against the Pats. I don't remember all the ups and downs and Trubisky did toss a pair of picks, but this was the game where it hit home for me that this team is for real. We're two scores down against Tom Brady and we're still not out of it.

In the end we didn't win the game but damn if I wasn't at the edge of my seat the entire game.

IMO his scramble in that game was the best Mitch highlight of 2018, yes sir.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly, I think Week 1 against the Packers was pretty good. At least the first half lol.

Naturally the go-to answer is the TB game but it seemed like EVERYTHING went right for the Bears that game.

Can I take 1st half of week 1 and 2nd half of playoff game and put those together to be my favorite?

No.

Kidding. But in my memory, I think he looked good first 2 DRIVES of Week One and then the offense went cold for most of the 2nd quarter, but my memory is a poor indicator and looking up the stats would not tell if he was still reading well and making good decisions but maybe Nagy was getting out-coached by GB DC.

Thoughtful football post by you.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Look, I get that people want to throw out the Bucs game for whatever rationalization they want to come up with. Except that is what this offense can look like when they are beating a defense like a drum schematically and the players are balling out. They absolutely abused that defense with wheel routes but Trubisky and his receivers were also on point that game. So instead of throwing it out as a red herring maybe its better to look at that game as a taste of what they can be like when the offense matures.

But that's kind of the point though. TB had multiple broken coverages deep.

I mean your opinion is valid, but I disagree that what this offense can look like due to the absolute fundamental secondary breakdowns drive after drive after drive in the 1st half. That just will not happen week to week let alone even once season to season.

However, ..... I take nothing away from Mitch in that performance. He did what he had to do and played nearly perfect for the Bears that day.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
No.

Kidding. But in my memory, I think he looked good first 2 DRIVES of Week One and then the offense went cold for most of the 2nd quarter, but my memory is a poor indicator and looking up the stats would not tell if he was still reading well and making good decisions but maybe Nagy was getting out-coached by GB DC.

Thoughtful football post by you.

Don't tell @dabears70 or the propeller might fly clear off of his hat.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

The reason most want to throw that game out is because the Bucs defense was atrocious that game, they were awful most games but for that game it was next level bad. That isn't taking away from the offense Pace dialed up the right game plan against them and the offense executed it. The offense played that game to near perfection. I equate it to when I play my nephew in basketball, I have almost 2 feet in height on him and nearly 100 lbs...but I am not going to NBA scouts showing them tape of me abusing him on the court and selling it as my offensive potential.

Again the offense played well and while maybe that game shouldn't be thrown out completely but it should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't see the offense playing like that consistently, so it kind of is the outlier. An outlier that may happen once or twice a season, but an outlier nonetheless.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rory pointed out that McCarthy had checked out mentally and shit the bed.

But it's also true that Cousins had broken mentally and shit the bed and Trubisky looked so much better vs. GB than MIN.

I don't know, but I could have sworn that Rory was joking as if Mitch's "best game" was the game he didn't want Mitch to be good in because he had the feeling PHI was hotter than MIN at the time.

But now with a lot here voting Week 17, I am not so sure. But it would be illogical to vote his performance in Week 17 was so good against a better team while simultaneously wishing we would have lost the meaningless game so we could have MIN the next week rather than a hot PHI. I must have been mistaken in my reading here.

Trubisky had better stats vs GB but the Minnesota D is much better imo. Also, Minnesota was fighting for their playoff life and GB had nothing at stake.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Trubisky had better stats vs GB but the Minnesota D is much better imo. Also, Minnesota was fighting for their playoff life and GB had nothing at stake.

All true; just want to add that Mitch had nothing at stake vs. MINN but had a lot at stake vs. GB.

Don't worry; I can easily nod, agree to disagree, shake hands and be cool. I'm not going to go remy here.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But that's kind of the point though. TB had multiple broken coverages deep.

I mean your opinion is valid, but I disagree that what this offense can look like due to the absolute fundamental secondary breakdowns drive after drive after drive in the 1st half. That just will not happen week to week let alone even once season to season.

However, ..... I take nothing away from Mitch in that performance. He did what he had to do and played nearly perfect for the Bears that day.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched an Andy Reid offense at work? They feast on schematic breakdowns. That is literally the entire point of how those offensive schemes are built. All of the motion and multiple plays out of the same looks.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched and Andy Reid offense at work? They feast on schematic breakdowns. That is literally the entire point of how those offensive schemes are built. All of the motion and multiple plays out of the same looks.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched a functional NFL defense at work? They rarely leave guys wide open deep and almost never leave guys wide open deep on drive after drive after drive. That is literally the entire point of how defensive schemes are built.

You are right about the motion and multiple play options out of the same looks on offense. I know that though. Thanks.

You do know TB had significant defensive breakdowns of the rarest proportions that day as well right?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
IMO his scramble in that game was the best Mitch highlight of 2018, yes sir.
That was the game that playoff aspirations went from Kool Aid to legit in my book. Trubisky danced with the kings that game and had a number of highlights and we were a yard from overtime.

That last second hail mary was everything. 10 scrambled left to buy time and threw it and I was anxious. Then I saw we had guys under it and I was excited. Then I saw it went to White and I was twice as anxious as before, and when he cought and turned to the endzone I couldn't believe it. And then he gets stonewalled shot of the goal line?? I'm reliving the excitement of the end of the game as I type this.

As a fan, to come that close against new-fucking-england, it tells me that we belonged with the best last year. We lost and it's the highlight of the season for me (well, besides winning at home vs GB, I had great seats!)

Damn I'm ready for next season. Time to defend the division title!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Detroit. TB gelt like they mentally checked out. Detroit was still fighting but Trubs still shredded them.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched a functional NFL defense at work? They rarely leave guys wide open deep and almost never leave guys wide open deep on drive after drive after drive. That is literally the entire point of how defensive schemes are built.

You are right about the motion and multiple play options out of the same looks on offense. I know that though. Thanks.

You do know TB had significant defensive breakdowns of the rarest proportions that day as well right?

Thanks for answering the question. Clearly you haven't seen what Andy Reid is doing. There is a reason the Chiefs are routinely at the top in average yardage of separation. They aren't just open. They are routinely NFL wide open.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thanks for answering the question. Clearly you haven't seen what Andy Reid is doing. There is a reason the Chiefs are routinely at the top in average yardage of separation. They aren't just open. They are routinely NFL wide open.

I love the offseason.

Oh so TB didn't have epic breakdowns in coverage that game at an unusually high rate for the NFL on average?

I apparently am an idiot (implied heavily in your tone) for not seeing this one stat YOU are aware of that shows KC receivers get .5 - .7 yards more separation than other teams.

In any other context, I would like your comment. The stat is indeed interesting. However, in this context:

[Since YOU already knew that separation stat, it means that the TB game is ONLY a product of the offensive system working and anyone that points out the (obvious) breakdown in fundamental pass coverage 101 in the TB secondary the entire first half is WRONG ...

YOU have decided that TB would have been fine that day if only they hadn't have been facing a KC offense that just happened to be clicking that day]
- all material in brackets are implied by your tone and narrow-mindedness in refusing to acknowledge that the TB defense went full "Mel Tucker" in their lack of fundamental football.

You should have emailed TB DC Mike Smith by the way. See, his defense was so bad at fundamental coverage he got fired.

He could have used your nextgen evidence to suggest that it wasn't his fault. That when the Reid/Nagy system clicks, no defense on Earth can withstand it. Could have at least bought him more time.

TL;DR - I love the offseason when some CCS posters post angry all the time and look to create debates in the strangest places. It amuses me and sometimes I learn some cool new things along the way as well.