True leadoff needed

choyne35

Liked Posts:
I know Kyle has been doing a good job leading off but this team doesn’t score unless it goes yard and I would rather have Schwarber up with 2 on than leading off. It lengthens the lineup and we are gonna need contact and speed if they are lucky enough to make the playoffs this year. This team is playing like it did last September when they blew a 5 game lead in the division. I believe the bigger need of this team right now is a bat than another arm

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know Kyle has been doing a good job leading off

.244/.314/.571 as a lead off, He has hit a few HR's (11) as a 1 hitter but the over all body of work is not lead off material.

Zobrist was at .300/.373/.317
Almora .279/.279/.395
Descalso .167/.314/.262

The thing with a lead off it is really not about speed or contact. It is more about OBA. It is about not making outs and getting more times up at the plate because of it. It is about the odds of success. That is why you build a team geared towards getting on base.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
.244/.314/.571 as a lead off, He has hit a few HR's (11) as a 1 hitter but the over all body of work is not lead off material.

Almora .279/.279/.395
Descalso .167/.314/.262

The thing with a lead off it is really not about speed or contact. It is more about OBA. It is about not making outs and getting more times up at the plate because of it. It is about the odds of success. That is why you build a team geared towards getting on base.
I believe Schwarber should be hitting 2nd or 5th and we need speed and contact at leadoff. I want someone that puts pressure on the pitcher and can get on base and steal a base or 2 in a close game

choyne35

Liked Posts:
I believe Schwarber should be hitting 2nd or 5th and we need speed and contact at leadoff. I want someone that puts pressure on the pitcher and can get on base and steal a base or 2 in a close game
I would call up Nico as soon as he gets healthy again and let him play 2b and lead off... I believe he’s the 2nd basemen and lead off of the future. Guarantee you that he would be more productive than any of the 3 we have currently at second base

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would call up Nico as soon as he gets healthy again and let him play 2b and lead off... I believe he’s the 2nd basemen and lead off of the future. Guarantee you that he would be more productive than any of the 3 we have currently at second base
Hoerner is no where near ready for the majors. He's only been in pro ball for about a year. That's before you even factor in that he hasn't played baseball in over a month(think it's almost 2) with a wrist fracture. Missing that much time means even if he were ready to play today(he's not) you're looking at probably 2-3 weeks of rehab assignment to get back up to speed. I can safely tell you this isn't going to happen. I would be shocked if they even put him on the 40 man roster before the end of the season.

As for the premise of needing a leadoff hitter, I'm sure they would like to have one but it's not so simple as snapping your fingers and having someone. And one of the reasons you think they need one(namely speed) is irrelevant with Maddon managing because the cubs don't run under Maddon. They were 24th in the majors last year in SB. They are 30th this year. They were 24th in 2017. They were 20th in 2016. They were 9th in 2015 but that seems like and oddity given Rizzo had 17 stolen bases that year. The next 3 years combined he had 19. In other words, they don't run. Plus Schwarber isn't a bad baserunner. I mean clearly he's not a SB threat but fangraphs has his base running as being about league average.

What I'd like to see them do is to swing for the fences on someone for the trade deadline. With the possible exception of a LH reliever, they don't have any glaring holes really IMO for the next few years. And in Happ and Russell they have some what interesting MLB ready players that the cubs probably don't have long term plans on. Just to throw out an example here but the Indians are 10 games back in the central. Would they listen on Lindor given they only have 2.5 years of control and have yet to re-sign him? Anthony Rendon is a FA after this year I believe. Would the nats sell on him given they are 33-38? Something along those lines. Obviously you're not getting either of those two with solely Happ and Russell but as substitutes for top 50 type prospects they aren't terrible replacements especially if you're a team like Cleveland or Washington who may only be selling on 2019 and not on 2020+. Guys who could potentially help next year vs 2-3 years from now will have more value to certain types of teams.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Almora .279/.279/.395
Descalso .167/.314/.262

Descalso is so bad.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know Kyle has been doing a good job leading off but this team doesn’t score unless it goes yard and I would rather have Schwarber up with 2 on than leading off. It lengthens the lineup and we are gonna need contact and speed if they are lucky enough to make the playoffs this year. This team is playing like it did last September when they blew a 5 game lead in the division. I believe the bigger need of this team right now is a bat than another arm
The whole league relys on homeruns. Speed is not a big part of the game anymore. The Royals have speed and they have to string together 3 hits to score. Homeruns rule the whole league

choyne35

Liked Posts:
The whole league relys on homeruns. Speed is not a big part of the game anymore. The Royals have speed and they have to string together 3 hits to score. Homeruns rule the whole league
Yeah homers rule the regular season but that approach won’t cut it in the playoffs when you need contact against top of the rotation pitching in those 3-2 games. If the cubs aren’t hitting homers then they don’t score and teams that rely on the homer don’t really do much in the postseason, except for maybe the Red Sox last year but they had plenty of guys that could make contact and get on base. The cubs are feast or famine just about all the time

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah homers rule the regular season but that approach won’t cut it in the playoffs when you need contact against top of the rotation pitching in those 3-2 games. If the cubs aren’t hitting homers then they don’t score and teams that rely on the homer don’t really do much in the postseason, except for maybe the Red Sox last year but they had plenty of guys that could make contact and get on base. The cubs are feast or famine just about all the time
You just described every team in MLB except the Royals. Good luck on them winning the ship.

Just to show my work. Here are team home run totals. See what all the top half have in common and all what the bottom half have in common. The days of needing "speed" are gone. Teams care more about getting on base and homers.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
You just described every team in MLB except the Royals. Good luck on them winning the ship.

Just to show my work. Here are team home run totals. See what all the top half have in common and all what the bottom half have in common. The days of needing "speed" are gone. Teams care more about getting on base and homers.

Ok that may be true but speed and contact puts pressure on the pitcher and the defense and I’m tired of seeing guys on 3rd and one out or 2nd and 3rd or 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs and not scoring cuz they are swinging at balls in the dirt or way outside because they are trying to hit a 3 run homer when a simple base hit will do the job. Also this scoring 2 or 3 runs early cuz they hit a homer then not scoring for the final 7 or 8 innings is frustrating since they are all going up there trying to hit it out

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
what position will this guy play to be the other Tony Rizzo on this team that starts every day at the same position?

Cant keep going with 11 starting caliber players, its time to move some of them that cant lead off.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Ok that may be true but speed and contact puts pressure on the pitcher and the defense and I’m tired of seeing guys on 3rd and one out or 2nd and 3rd or 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs and not scoring cuz they are swinging at balls in the dirt or way outside because they are trying to hit a 3 run homer when a simple base hit will do the job. Also this scoring 2 or 3 runs early cuz they hit a homer then not scoring for the final 7 or 8 innings is frustrating since they are all going up there trying to hit it out
The frustrating part is just not taking what the other team is giving them on a silver platter. Shift and pitch away. Did you see the prick Carpenters double on a little grounder the other day? First you need to MAKE the other team STOP shifting against you, then you can go back to pulling everything when the other team only has 2 guys on that side of the infield.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Would you be happier if they scored individual runs in 2-3 innings and then didn't score anymore the rest of the game? I mean look the 80's cardinal style of play is my favorite style of baseball ever personally. So, I get why it's frustrating to watch the approach the cubs have. But the end result is they are scoring 5.06 runs a game. The only two NL teams scoring more are the dodgers and braves. The approach has yielded a 426-294 record under Maddon and 4-5, 11-6, 4-6, and 0-1 in playoff baseball in 2015,16, 17, and 18 for a total of 19-18 and for what it's worth the play in WC game last year and the 2016 season where the only series where they had home field advantage in that run. So, being over .500 vs playoff teams under those circumstances is pretty good.

Simple fact of the matter is there is no sure way to win in the playoffs. Baseball is an incredibly flukey game. That's the reason they play 162 games in the regular season. Hell I think you could even make the case that the cubs approach may actually be better suited for the current playoff environment than the one your advocating for. Teams are building bullpens such that if you get to certain guys you win the game. Being able to put up several runs in an inning may very well be a better outcome than trying to string together several hits/walks vs playoff pitching.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

“Guarantee “. Ok. Got it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you look at it logically the ideal guy right now is Caratini. The problem is he is a starting quality catcher in a limited role. But he is exactly the type of hitter that you are looking at as a lead off.

And I'm not going to try to over think on how to do it. DH would solve most issues here.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
If you look at it logically the ideal guy right now is Caratini. The problem is he is a starting quality catcher in a limited role. But he is exactly the type of hitter that you are looking at as a lead off.

And I'm not going to try to over think on how to do it. DH would solve most issues here.
Caratini is not a logical ideal guy for anything... I don’t see why so many people are high on him. He can’t hit for average, strikes out a lot and if you throw him a high fastball it’s a whiff every time. He’s basically a
Bigger version of happ, both switch hitters who don’t make a lot of contact and chase and whiff on high fastballs

choyne35

Liked Posts:
“Guarantee “. Ok. Got it.
Yes guarantee that Nico will be better than Russell, Bote, Descalso when he gets the chance and will/should be the everyday 2nd baseman starting sometime in 2020

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Caratini is not a logical ideal guy for anything... I don’t see why so many people are high on him. He can’t hit for average, strikes out a lot and if you throw him a high fastball it’s a whiff every time. He’s basically a
Bigger version of happ, both switch hitters who don’t make a lot of contact and chase and whiff on high fastballs

You just lost a few IQ points.

12.7% BB
21.1% SO

.378 BABIP

I'm pretty sure that those are solid lead off production. And he switch hits.
Swear maybe you should back your self with data.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
You just lost a few IQ points.

12.7% BB
21.1% SO

.378 BABIP

I'm pretty sure that those are solid lead off production. And he switch hits.
Swear maybe you should back your self with data.
Haha ok... you will never ever see caratini leading off for the cubs and 21 percent strikeout percentage is pretty high and what’s his current BA? Somewhere around .250 ? There’s a reason he doesn’t play regularly. Happ switch hits too and actually got a shot at leadoff and where is at currently?? Ok nice try

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes guarantee that Nico will be better than Russell, Bote, Descalso when he gets the chance and will/should be the everyday 2nd baseman starting sometime in 2020

Good to know that a guy on the DL again will be beating up pitchers as a rookie.