Tyler Colvin

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Where do you see him in the next five years?

Personally I think he will be a fourth outfielder for a team other than the Cubs. Now the reason I say this is not because I don't like him, in fact I like him, he ranks right up there on terms of favorite players on the Cubs. The problem is his impatience at the plate. Granted he has taken a few walks already, but he loves to swing the bat. He has the tools to be a good player and I hope Lou didn't make a mistake by bringing him up to quickly to be a defensive replacement and utility player when he could be working on his development in the minors. Fuld would have been the better option in my mind.

So what do you think of Colvin? Will he still be a Cub in five years?

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
I really am not sure, I just hope we're not seeing Felix Pie mark II.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Eh, I don't know if he's all that Cubs fans want him to be. He's never shown the ability to get on-base at a decent clip (his highest OBP in the minors was his 2009 run in AA) and his only saving grace has been his decent power, which seemingly has come around since he was drafted.

I haven't watched enough of him to talk about his defense, but his offense is very reminiscent of the current LFer for the Cubbies. I hate to say it, but it's the truth. Soriano Lite, anyone?

baseballjen

Liked Posts:
I think it's too early to tell. Rookies are often impatient at the plate, and I've seen far worse than Colvin in that area. If he doesn't show much improvement, I would send him to AAA for some work on his hitting if I were the Cubs since he skipped that level.

I try to not get too excited about "hot prospects" as some do, that way I'm not as disappointed when they don't pan out. LOL Starlin Castro is another-he seems promising, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think it's too early to tell. Rookies are often impatient at the plate, and I've seen far worse than Colvin in that area. If he doesn't show much improvement, I would send him to AAA for some work on his hitting if I were the Cubs since he skipped that level.

I try to not get too excited about "hot prospects" as some do, that way I'm not as disappointed when they don't pan out. LOL Starlin Castro is another-he seems promising, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

I understand your point, but you can see a bunch of his issues even in his minor league stats. That's where almost all of my points about his game came from, and I think he is not as promising as some would have you believe.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This kid looks like he could be a good MLB player. I hope he gets a fair shake to prove himself.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
At worst: 4th/5th OF
At best: Above average Left or Right Outfielder

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i hope so..the kid could be a solid player for us in the next few years imo

Lefty

Liked Posts:
At worst: 4th/5th OF
At best: Above average Left or Right Outfielder

I don't know where you're getting this range from. If you just took his minor-league OBP and translated it to an MLB season, he would be just above replacement-level at getting on-base. Sure, his power is nice, but that will mean very little if he is unable to get on base by any other means.

I mean I guess you could wildly say that he has the POTENTIAL to improve on his OBP mark in the minors by 40-50 points, but I wouldn't go about making statements like that. But that's just me.

davylee

Liked Posts:
My 2 cents here is I like him. I do like the idea of him being in the majors at this time and working with Rudy Jaramillo can not be a bad thing at all. Decent glove... So let him play and let's see where he is by July.