Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Heard this on PMT podcast yesterday and had me thinking about it a little more. I know this is an NBA section of the forum but I'll leave it open to all sports. Which teams were the biggest victims of sports. For example, Houston. Have been eliminated by GS in 4 of last 5 years. Not saying Houston was guaranteed to win a title this year or last, but you have to figure they had at least a shot in one of those years.

Who are some others that just ran into really good dynasties?

New York Knicks of the 90s?
Sacramento Kings of the 2000s?

NFL-wise, I feel like the Chargers are an AFC team that just ran into the Patriots a few times.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Utah Jazz
Phil Mickelson
Most male tennis players not named Federer or Nadal
Most female tennis players not named Williams or Sharapova

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Heard this on PMT podcast yesterday and had me thinking about it a little more. I know this is an NBA section of the forum but I'll leave it open to all sports. Which teams were the biggest victims of sports. For example, Houston. Have been eliminated by GS in 4 of last 5 years. Not saying Houston was guaranteed to win a title this year or last, but you have to figure they had at least a shot in one of those years.

Who are some others that just ran into really good dynasties?

New York Knicks of the 90s?
Sacramento Kings of the 2000s?

2018 Bears?

1989 & 1990 Bulls.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The late 1980's Broncos having to play the NFC. Same for the Bills running into the NFC.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I feel like a good case could be made for the 1980s Nebraska Cornhuskers, and the LSU Tigers of the 20-aughts.

I'm hesitant to put Clemson.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
The Cavaliers from 1987-93 (could never get past the Jordan led Bulls in the East)
The Go Go Era White Sox (other than '59 just couldn't finish ahead of the Yankees)
70's Vikings (lost Super Bowls to the Dolphins and Steelers)
70's Bulls (Always lost VS the Lakers and Kareem led Bucks in the Playoffs)
80's Bucks (Not getting out of an Eastern Conference that contained the Bird Era Celtics and Dr. J/Moses Malone led 76ers)

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Basketball?
Ultimate team to answer this question IMO? Lakers. I mean, it required the collapse of that very dynasty in the Celtics, trading for Wilt and signing Goodrich to win in 72, but without that... think about it, Jerry West , the logo, would have been ringless.

2001 Sixers, just a damn solid team. Loads of excellent roll players, an elite defensive center and the best small guard to ever play at his very peak IMO.
Clyde's TrailBlazers did nothing but run into dynasties(by this loose modern definition).
Syracuse Nationals choked and some argue were a few plays or calls short of taking out Boston.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Basketball?
Ultimate team to answer this question IMO? Lakers. I mean, it required the collapse of that very dynasty in the Celtics, trading for Wilt and signing Goodrich to win in 72, but without that... think about it, Jerry West , the logo, would have been ringless.

Yes, those 60's-early 70's Lakers had the toughest run of it. Dealing with Russell Celtics all those years, then having to deal with the "Top 50" laden NY Knicks after that.

I don't really think those 90's Knicks teams were "victims of dynasties"...one, I don't think they were THAT good, and two, they benefited from MJ's retirement and Hue Hollins officiating to make a Finals against a non-Dynasty team...and still blew a 3-2 series lead with John Starks shooting 2-18 in Game 7 while also getting torched on the other end by Vernon freakin' Maxwell (21 points). To me, the Knicks were their own worst enemy.

Clyde's TrailBlazers did nothing but run into dynasties(by this loose modern definition).

Hard to quantify Clyde's Trail Blazers. Weird to have a gap in between Finals appearances with essentially the same roster. They peaked at the right time in the late 80's when the Lakers were done and the other West teams were still too young. They got killed by the Pistons...IIRC, the only game they won was because of a miracle heave by Danny Young. They really had no business losing to the Lakers in 91, but they "kind of" gave the Bulls a tough time in 92. The West Conference was loaded in the early 90's...Jazz and Suns were great, too.

That said, I re-watched the 92 Bulls-Blazers, and the Blazers roster is unimpressive. Buck Williams and Kevin Duckworth do absolutely nothing in the front court. Drexler and Porter can't shoot in the backcourt. Jerome Kersey could collect garbage points, but Pippen almost averaged a triple-double against him in the series. The only guy who actually lifted the performance of the team was Danny Ainge off the bench, which is ridiculous.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Utah Jazz
Phil Mickelson
Most male tennis players not named Federer or Nadal
Most female tennis players not named Williams or Sharapova

You can put Djokovic there too.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you can say the Houston Rockets over the last few years. Seems like Golden State keeps knocking them out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sampras suppressed his division for a decade. Agassi wasn't a victim because he had his glory before and after, and his story was always going to have that hole in the middle...no doubt he could have won a couple more, but I am trying to think of the guys that disappeared from history due to Sampras and I can't. True Victims...we barely know who they are.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Sampras suppressed his division for a decade. Agassi wasn't a victim because he had his glory before and after, and his story was always going to have that hole in the middle...no doubt he could have won a couple more, but I am trying to think of the guys that disappeared from history due to Sampras and I can't. True Victims...we barely know who they are.

Patrick Rafter, tho