Video: David Montgomery interview at rookie mini-camp.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Montgomery reminds me of Mark Walton of Miami, a 2018 4th round draft pick cut by the Bengals. Shifty, lots of broken tackles and a slow 40 time. Hope I'm wrong.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the way this guy carries himself. Dare I say, he comes across more intelligent and more mature than Trubisky.

Yes, no, maybe? Why the need to compare the two? I mean, what’s the point?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Montgomery reminds me of Mark Walton of Miami, a 2018 4th round draft pick cut by the Bengals. Shifty, lots of broken tackles and a slow 40 time. Hope I'm wrong.

You are wrong. I have no idea what you're basing that comparison on. Walton was under 5'10 and 188 lbs at the combine. Montgomery broke more tackles in one season than Walton did in his whole career. You don't have to like Montgomery, but that comparison makes no sense.

napo55

Liked Posts:
You are wrong. I have no idea what you're basing that comparison on. Walton was under 5'10 and 188 lbs at the combine. Montgomery broke more tackles in one season than Walton did in his whole career. You don't have to like Montgomery, but that comparison makes no sense.
Walton was measured at 202 pounds at the combine. Don't know where you got the 188 number. Again, hope I'm wrong.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So when does he start running the./a hill?
Interviews don't get much better than this. Kinda puts the 'Pace Panicked' thread to rest.

Garett Wolfe was a good guy and great interview too. That’s why he’s at Wendy’s now just ask @Omeletpants. Doesn’t put anything to rest.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Garett Wolfe was a good guy and great interview too. That’s why he’s at Wendy’s now just ask @Omeletpants. Doesn’t put anything to rest.
The way he interviewed, which was pretty great, isn't what puts the reach aspect to rest. It was what he said about being targeted by the Bear. That they told him they'd go get him if within reach. 2 separate thoughts that you're conflating. You can dislike the actual words he spoke but it wont change them.

Last edited:

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Walton was measured at 202 pounds at the combine. Don't know where you got the 188 number. Again, hope I'm wrong.

My mistake. I should have delved beyond the first scouting report I saw. Regardless, they are not even remotely similar prospects and I'm still not sure what you see to make that comparison.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Also 4.6 40 at 222 is not slow, it's average, 4.6 at 202 is well below average. 40 times are mostly useless, but weight adjusted 40s are less so.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also 4.6 40 at 222 is not slow, it's average, 4.6 at 202 is well below average. 40 times are mostly useless, but weight adjusted 40s are less so.

I don't get this whole "DM is slow" narrative.

He improved upon his 40 time after the combine at his Pro Day. Down to 4.57...a hair quicker than Kareem Hunt's 40. Despite his size, that's good for 11th fastest RB in the draft -->incl. the smaller quicker scat backs, he's among the fastest at his size.
https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...sh-time-improve-Iowa-State-Pro-Day-130548970/

Most RB's won't flat outrun 4.4 or quicker DBs. With a big enough hole (headstart), & game planning, he can certainly peel off some long runs/receptions & take a few to the house. Check DM's tape.

Attachments

• PSA The More You Know.jpg
    PSA The More You Know.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Something that I noticed on a full head to toe video interview was that his torso is way larger than his legs Perceptibly ...i.e. .... the ratio of torso : lower body is disproportionate and can easily be seen.

In other words at 5'10" Monty has the legs of someone 5'7"-5'8" with the POWER of a 222 lb'er. Mike Tyson was 5'10 ish 5'11 and 220

With those shorter legs/lower body he Naturally has a Lowered center of Gravity. This is a tremendous gift for balance. Add in his work ethic and Power, it is no wonder that he broke more tackles in college than any other back.

His quickness and ability to make people miss /break tackles Jumps out at you on tape. I could care less that after 20-30yds that he gets pushed outta bounds or is tackled. He will still be "hard" to bring down ...like a Buffalo from behind because of his lowered center and power.

Can we call him the Buffalo ???????????

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Something that I noticed on a full head to toe video interview was that his torso is way larger than his legs Perceptibly ...i.e. .... the ratio of torso : lower body is disproportionate and can easily be seen.

In other words at 5'10" Monty has the legs of someone 5'7"-5'8" with the POWER of a 222 lb'er. Mike Tyson was 5'10 ish 5'11 and 220

With those shorter legs/lower body he Naturally has a Lowered center of Gravity. This is a tremendous gift for balance. Add in his work ethic and Power, it is no wonder that he broke more tackles in college than any other back.

His quickness and ability to make people miss /break tackles Jumps out at you on tape. I could care less that after 20-30yds that he gets pushed outta bounds or is tackled. He will still be "hard" to bring down ...like a Buffalo from behind because of his lowered center and power.

Can we call him the Buffalo ???????????
I talked about this in another thread and why he can run upright like Forte but still be a good short yardage back like Forte was not especially so. Does limit his top speed a bit so we likely we won't see as many 20 yard runs but we won't see him getting stuffed as much on 3rd and 1 either.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Pointless addition to this thread, but Forte ran a 4.46 40. At 6'1 220. So bigger RBs have run faster. I don't think its as rare as people think...

But strangely Forte was never considered a 'fast' running back....

BEARS

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Pointless addition to this thread, but Forte ran a 4.46 40. At 6'1 220. So bigger RBs have run faster. I don't think its as rare as people think...

But strangely Forte was never considered a 'fast' running back....

BEARS

I love the comparisons of Montgomery to Forte's college career...CCS couldn't evaluate Forte's Bears career while watching him play, how can they offer up analysis of his time at Tulane? Comparing Montgomery to Forte at Tulane is like comparing Cutler to Sid Luckman. It walks the fine line between 'blind Bears homerism' and 'sheer nonsense'.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I don't get this whole "DM is slow" narrative.

He improved upon his 40 time after the combine at his Pro Day. Down to 4.57...a hair quicker than Kareem Hunt's 40. Despite his size, that's good for 11th fastest RB in the draft -->incl. the smaller quicker scat backs, he's among the fastest at his size.
https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...sh-time-improve-Iowa-State-Pro-Day-130548970/
View attachment 1634

Most RB's won't flat outrun 4.4 or quicker DBs. With a big enough hole (headstart), & game planning, he can certainly peel off some long runs/receptions & take a few to the house. Check DM's tape.
You can't compare Montgomery's Pro Day 40 with the combine numbers of other RBs. Pro Day 40s are always faster so you have to assume the other RBs would be faster. Also, the combine is timed accurately and the conditions are the same for all runners.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can't compare Montgomery's Pro Day 40 with the combine numbers of other RBs. Pro Day 40s are always faster so you have to assume the other RBs would be faster. Also, the combine is timed accurately and the conditions are the same for all runners.

Thanks. Didn't realize there was a difference in measurements b/t the two.